Received 3,641 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Did you just go with stock valve body?
Old 12-13-18, 08:33 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Did you just go with stock valve body?
Yes, mine will not see any serious off-roading or towing so just went with stock.
Old 12-21-18, 05:59 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Want to keep updating this thread for any future searches. The CEL popped back on about 200 miles after picking it up from the shop, so dropped it back off Monday. It took a few days, but the transmission shop finally located the issue. They noticed there was some debris making it's way into the valve body and clogging solenoids 3 and 4 so they wouldn't activate. Turns out the stator (sp?) bushings were wearing and the small pieces were making their way through. They found this out by finding some play in the front driveshaft. Crazy.

Anyways, they are replacing the bushings at no charge and cleaning everything out before buttoning it back up, so I should finally be getting a healthy truck back later today! What a mess, but glad it is fixed and they were honest and kept it until they got it right (at no extra charge to me).

So, just in case anyone else runs in to this CEL/issue, be sure to have the shop check for these areas.
The following 4 users liked this post by CobraSpdRH:
Acrad (12-21-18), BCGX (08-28-22), caesosa (01-02-19), SteveInCal (01-02-19)
Old 12-28-18, 05:16 PM
eyed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans/shudder

I too have had the car vibrating at 50-60 mph. recently, my check engine light went on even though the car ran well. the dealer said i should replace the transmission!! they based it on the codes. i don't know what to do. I have 130K and it is a 2010 gx. it has always been maintained by the dealer and used premium gas. i am considering having a non dealer repair place do the work to save $$. since the car is running great, i am considering driving it till it shows symptoms.
Old 12-28-18, 05:26 PM
eyed
Driver School Candidate

any update on this?? my truck (same exact as yours) is saying same thing.
Old 12-28-18, 05:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like OP posted and never came back.

If you do have to replace the AT valve body you might want to look into a heavy duty 3rd party model

https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/bran...transmissions/
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/wp-c...Fact-Sheet.pdf
Old 12-28-18, 08:37 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by eyed
any update on this?? my truck (same exact as yours) is saying same thing.
What MY do you own? Trying to see if this is confined to early MY troubles(Aka pre-facelift). As the OP has a '10 MY
Old 12-30-18, 06:12 AM
eyed
Driver School Candidate

2010 premium gx with 135K.
Old 12-30-18, 06:27 AM
eyed
Driver School Candidate

I have the same model year and codes which keep popping up. the dealer also said i need a new transmission, even there is no slippage. I bought the car used over 2 years ago and the only issue i ever had with it was occasionally while accelerating over 40 mph it would feel like i was going over many small bumps which would go away as soon as i stopped accelerating. I read a previous post with the same issue and subsequent transmission problem.
Old 12-30-18, 07:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eyed
I have the same model year and codes which keep popping up. the dealer also said i need a new transmission, even there is no slippage. I bought the car used over 2 years ago and the only issue i ever had with it was occasionally while accelerating over 40 mph it would feel like i was going over many small bumps which would go away as soon as i stopped accelerating. I read a previous post with the same issue and subsequent transmission problem.
Only ever saw one TSB for transmissions and there was one for 2010 model year but just changed behavior and not error codes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0122-10.pdf

The small bump around 40 MPH sounds like a potential locking torque converter issue.

I'd suggest the following before taking the leap on major replacement and $$$.

• Have dealer or independent drop the AT pan and look for any physical fragments and replace filter. This will also about 1/4 of the fluid.

• DON'T do a AT flush but a partial AT fluid refill now that pan has been lowered and raised. Multiple swaps would be better but you will need to weigh cost

There is something wrong in your AT to be triggering these codes and it will likely need to be opened up to find exact cause. The new fluid has potential to unstick something that might be sticking in there. This is a cheaper option and attempt to correct repair. If may not improve anything but alternatives are costly AT rebuilds or replacements.

IMO: I don't think you are going to find the silver bullet solution online until AT is opened up. You stand a stronger chance that a independent transmission shop will pinpoint cause and repair cost will be lower. Dealership is not likely to go and try to fix some small part. They are gonna go after an entire swap or valve body replacement so lots of $$$.
Old 12-30-18, 07:47 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Interesting hit on the P0761 error

https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...-transmissions

Last edited by Acrad; 11-07-20 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cancruiser (03-15-23)
Old 12-31-18, 12:08 PM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Well I still don't have mine back yet, going on two weeks now. They replaced the stator bushings, but also noticed that the torque converter may be contacting something and sending debris into the valve body, so were replacing that too. The trans shop (the one who does Lexus dealer trans work, mind you) brought it back to my independent this morning and when he test drove he said he noticed an issue with third gear, so had to go BACK to the trans shop again! Unbelievable. You'd think a trans shop could open it up and diagnose the problem and fix, but this would be the THIRD TIME they have to go back in. Will try to keep this thread updated...
Old 12-31-18, 12:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wonder how far into the AT they went? Sounds like clutches or other components are still coming apart. AT work seems like it can be an art some time.

If you don't mind me asking....how much money are you into this repair?
Old 01-02-19, 06:09 AM
CobraSpdRH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I wonder how far into the AT they went? Sounds like clutches or other components are still coming apart. AT work seems like it can be an art some time.

If you don't mind me asking....how much money are you into this repair?
I paid an initial $2,800 to R&R the valve body and haven't paid a dime since. The tranny shop is replacing the bushings and torque converter on their dime, whew! I think they should have done further inspection before replacing the valve body and they may have only needed to do the bushings and torque converter, so they are taking responsibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by CobraSpdRH:
Acrad (01-02-19), SJVGX (10-08-22)
Old 01-07-19, 02:11 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Transmission hunting harsh shifting?

I noticed on my 2018 Premium that at low speeds, the transmission would hunt and shift pretty harshly. Anybody experienced that? It has almost 3k miles on the odo.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure or Issues