GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Hitch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 06:06 AM
wishihad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for new trailer hitch

Just purchased a 15 gx460 and need to add a hitch to tow my jetski. I found numerous threads and sources for the physical hitch but can't find anything definitive, wiring wise, on what I need to support a 4 pin trailer connector.
Thanks
Old 01-06-18, 07:02 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by wishihad
Just purchased a 15 gx460 and need to add a hitch to tow my jetski. I found numerous threads and sources for the physical hitch but can't find anything definitive, wiring wise, on what I need to support a 4 pin trailer connector.
Thanks
If I am not mistaken, the pre-wired standard 4 wires hitch connect harness is under and behind rear bumper area. the easiest way is to get a hitch connector from Lexus or online source, like the one in the following picture, it is plug and play: (the one in the picture is for 2016 LX, but you got the idea)

The following users liked this post:
wishihad (01-06-18)
Old 08-01-18, 06:53 AM
tinny234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to know if have tow pkg on vehicle

I purchased a 2007 RX350. I am trying to find out if it has the factory installed tow equip. The vehicle does not have a hitch. I thought I could look it up with the VIN but am not having any luck. The normal gwvr for this model is 3500. Mine lists 5265 so I'm thinking it does. I called the LEXUS dealership and gave the vin and was told yes, but I'm not confident in that as the person I was speaking to didn't understand what I was talking about but as soon as he pulled up the vin he said yes...with out even hesitation. I would think that he would have had to look up something for a reference. I have researched on the web for decoding information. I've found that the 4 digit may tell me if it has a tow pkg (??) and the 5th -11th indicate information, but can not find anything as far as what they stand for or mean. I found 1 site, but it skipped 2007!
Old 08-01-18, 08:14 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Its been a few years since I installed my hitch, but IIRC you need to buy a harness that connects from inside the cab under the 3rd row seating, run the wire thru a supplied grommet, down to the back of the hitch where you connect it to the above picture part.
Old 01-29-19, 01:14 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Hitch wiring

Not liking the OEM Lexus hitch (too bulky), I am considering the Curt 13043 for its compact, hidden form.
For anyone who installed this (or any aftermarket hitch), how did you go about the wiring?
I understand Lexus have a pre-made wiring harness which plugs right into the truck main harness and terminates in 4 and 7 pin trailer sockets. But, I am wondering if there is an aftermarket alternative to this harness? Or perhaps the same harness is common to other Toyota models (Tundra, 4Runner, Tacoma,etc) which can be purchased separately .

Thanks..

Last edited by cancruiser; 01-29-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 07:51 PM
4les
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cancruiser
Not liking the OEM Lexus hitch (too bulky), I am considering the Curt 13043 for its compact, hidden form.
For anyone who installed this (or any aftermarket hitch), how did you go about the wiring?
I understand Lexus have a pre-made wiring harness which plugs right into the truck main harness and terminates in 4 and 7 pin trailer sockets. But, I am wondering if there is an aftermarket alternative to this harness? Or perhaps the same harness is common to other Toyota models (Tundra, 4Runner, Tacoma,etc) which can be purchased separately .

Thanks..
The 3rd party ones touched the bumper on my 2018 so u may need washers to prevent that. Not sure if they fit the older models without washers. I went with the OEM one after that. Not sure about the wiring, did not receive any wiring with 3rd party hitch.
Old 01-30-19, 01:16 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

the 4 and 7 pin sockets are already there, just look underneath the rear bumper on the drivers side.

the lexus branded hitch comes with an extension harness to relocate the sockets onto the hitch, a more convenient placement.
Old 12-21-19, 07:53 PM
TXDiver
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone been able to verify that the 2020's come witht the 4 and 7 pin plugs? We will be taking delivery on ours next month and the dealer did not order it with a hitch. I am planning to install one myself. Thanks.
Old 12-21-19, 08:01 PM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

If it has the towing package it will have the the 4/7 pin connectors

Keep in mind the smaller hitches have reduced weight capacity
Old 12-22-19, 05:29 AM
TXDiver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by downshift1
If it has the towing package it will have the the 4/7 pin connectors

Keep in mind the smaller hitches have reduced weight capacity
There is no "Tow Package" listed for the 2020's. Just "Tow Hitch Receiver" and mine will not come with that option. I have no problem installing the hitch. I just don't want to get involved with tapping into the wiring for the lights. I would have them do it instead.

Last edited by TXDiver; 12-22-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-22-19, 08:31 AM
HotRod2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXDiver
Has anyone been able to verify that the 2020's come witht the 4 and 7 pin plugs? We will be taking delivery on ours next month and the dealer did not order it with a hitch. I am planning to install one myself. Thanks.
My 2020 GX did not have a towing hitch but did include the trailer light plug receptacle from the factory. As mentioned above, if you are installing a full Toyota branded hitch it will/should include an extension plug to relocate the plug receptacle and spacer plates that holds is slightly below the bumper fascia. It took me about 1.5 hours to install mine by myself without a lift, my wife did help me lift it into place to be sure I didn't ding something up while lining the bolts up.
Old 12-22-19, 12:31 PM
TXDiver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HotRod2
My 2020 GX did not have a towing hitch but did include the trailer light plug receptacle from the factory. As mentioned above, if you are installing a full Toyota branded hitch it will/should include an extension plug to relocate the plug receptacle and spacer plates that holds is slightly below the bumper fascia. It took me about 1.5 hours to install mine by myself without a lift, my wife did help me lift it into place to be sure I didn't ding something up while lining the bolts up.
Perfect, thank you. That was the answer I was hoping for. Did you buy your OEM hitch from the dealer or somewhere else?
Old 12-22-19, 12:34 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

PN for the stock class IV

PT22860140
Old 12-22-19, 01:04 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by TXDiver
There is no "Tow Package" listed for the 2020's. Just "Tow Hitch Receiver" and mine will not come with that option. I have no problem installing the hitch. I just don't want to get involved with tapping into the wiring for the lights. I would have them do it instead.
The wiring harness is there ... just buy the Lexus receptacle separately. It's included with the full-on Lexus OEM hitch, but is also a separate part number and is plug-and-play with the existing harness. You will need to figure out where to mount since it is designed to mount on the Lexus full-on hitch ... no big deal ... just mount to the underside of the bumper.
Old 12-22-19, 01:07 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

PN: PT72534140 / 7-Pin And 4-Pin Trailer Connector. Towing Wire Harnesses And Adapters

Quick Reply: Hitch wiring