GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding an OEM auxiliary/sub fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19 | 02:19 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

I’m peaked at the 8-9 gallon add on. The OEM tundra additional tank adds somewhere around 10 gallons. I think that’s a great option to have for our vehicle. Any larger then it just adds more complexity with probably needing to change the rear spring to handle the additional weight.
Old 02-24-19 | 06:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You can get that tank shipped for around $360 from Megazip. I bought my crawl switch from that site.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...sub-7700160730

The following 4 users liked this post by Acrad:
Craigyyy (03-12-19), John00 (02-24-19), KJ6IRM (02-24-19), r2m (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19 | 09:02 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Just pointless post: I too am interesting in increasing my range. 33 gallons may be an overkill and I'd worry about it hanging too low in the rear and affecting my departure angle.
Considering I was eking out about 15 MPH on my last trip up to South Lake Tahoe, I'd be happy with a 500 to 600 mile range between fill ups.
In my honest opinion, the biggest waste of time in ones life is sitting at a gas station filling up your gas tank. Unless you can combine that with a bathroom/snack stop.
Also because my rig is a daily driver, only needing to fill up once or so a month would be nice instead of every week or every other week. This especially nice when I have time to go on base (Camp Pendleton) to fill up (read: cheap gas)!
Old 03-09-19 | 03:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Ward Harris of Cruisers posted this poll over on GXOR

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lexu...9416828856092/

The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (03-12-19)
Old 03-09-19 | 04:45 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

I would only be interested in the tank kit for the reasons I mentioned above.
Old 03-12-19 | 02:50 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

OEM Prado sub-tank is 63L aka 16.6 gallons. It's very substantial, almost like having a second full tank.
Main tank is 87L aka 23 gallons we have in our GX.

Those Prado boys get 150L capacity, or nearly 40 gallons of capacity. https://www.toyota.com.au/main/-/med...ta_jul2018.pdf

16.6 gallons of extra gas is about 100lbs, BFD. You'd get the same "problem" or worse if you put one or two people in the 3rd row.

It's not about the length of your trip, or how much **** your bladder can hold, it's about how often you have to fill up your tank in your day-to-day life. Or for those aussies or arabians crossing the nafud, how tough a journey you can take on your own when there is nothing for hundreds of miles in every direction. Personally I'm not storming the desert, but I'd love to only fill up 30x a year instead of 50x.

I'd probably pass on an aftermarket tank that's almost $2k even with a few extra gallon capacity. But it's nice to see the OEM parts aren't that expensive. For at or under $1k I think it's a pretty compelling upgrade. I'll gladly let one of y'all be a guinea pig first though.
Slprciv (09-29-21)
Old 03-12-19 | 02:55 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
One has to remember what they plan to do with the relocated spare tire too.
I would just run without. I already carry a pump, plug kit and fix a flat.

If I was an adventurous type I'd throw it on the roof or splash the cash on one of those tailgate mounts or retrofit a prado gate.
Old 03-14-19 | 09:03 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I would just run without. I already carry a pump, plug kit and fix a flat.

If I was an adventurous type I'd throw it on the roof or splash the cash on one of those tailgate mounts or retrofit a prado gate.
Will the Prado tailgate fit? If so, that's an interesting idea!
Old 03-15-19 | 08:23 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
Will the Prado tailgate fit? If so, that's an interesting idea!
Je ne sais pas...

Dimensions appear to be the same in most respects. Surrounding bodywork, taillights, bumper, virtually identical. In fact it looks like the 150 prados without the door mount spare are using the GX door.

However sourcing and shipping the door would be particularly painful.

Also it seems there is no reason you couldn't mount straight to the GX door, that is of course if you don't mind tearing up your factory door (or perhaps a junkyard door). The whole reason for the side-swing door is to accommodate the weight of a full-size spare.

I wish I could just import a new Prado altogether.
Old 03-15-19 | 08:35 AM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I wish I could just import a new Prado altogether.
There was one on ebay a couple of weeks ago for sale in Florida: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Toyota...orig_cvip=true

Old 03-15-19 | 08:40 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

You probably couldn’t just mount the Prado door with the spare tire directly to the GX. Those trucks with backdoor spare tires have extra re-enforced mounts to hold the extra weight. I don’t think the current GX have this heavy duty mounts.
Acrad (03-15-19)
Old 03-15-19 | 12:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

+1 ...from what I have read you wouldn't want to try mounting tire on the existing GX rear door that wasn't designed for rear tire.

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
You probably couldn’t just mount the Prado door with the spare tire directly to the GX. Those trucks with backdoor spare tires have extra re-enforced mounts to hold the extra weight. I don’t think the current GX have this heavy duty mounts.
Old 03-15-19 | 12:12 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

You may also have an issue if you have a reverse camera. There may not be a mount or wiring for it on the Prado tailgate.
Just as another though, one may be able to source a tailgate from South America. There are Prado's down there also. One may just need a connection down there.
Que habla español anyone?
Old 03-15-19 | 12:16 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Just something I came across while looking for info on the fuel gauge sender unit thread.

Problem: Toyota Prado is presenting as out of fuel
https://www.baileysdiesel.com/uncate...esenting-fuel/
Craigyyy (03-15-19)
Old 03-15-19 | 01:29 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
It's the exact same two four-bolt hinges on the Prado and GX. I believe the same strut too.

It would be surprising if Toyota decided to engineer a completely different set of hinges for the Prado gate vs the GX gate/spareless prado gate.

Now, whether or not the actual GX door itself is reinforced to hold a full-size spare is another story. It would take a lot of fab work to mount a tire to a GX door, let alone making it look good. Hence the idea of just swapping to the Prado door.

Again the whole idea of the side-swing door on the Prado/GX is to accommodate a door-mounted spare. Lexus just deletes the spare from the door.

Quick Reply: Adding an OEM auxiliary/sub fuel tank