Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 08:59 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Driver Support Package

Originally Posted by raiders3
That is an amazing story

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 2017 GX Luxury with the driver support package.

I found your post because I had googled driver support system for 2017 GX Luxury (or similar words).

I was googling to get a little more info on the system and try to find an answer regarding whether any tinting on the front window would impair the vision of the camera mounted near the rear view mirror. I want some essentially clear tint that would be cutting down on the rays and UV.

Remarkable story.

I went with the Luxury because I did want the safety system.
FWIW ... About four years ago, I survived a total crash where the GX was completely destroyed, the PSC of which did NOT perform as expected. I too chose the DSP because of the PSC system and safety measures since at that time I traveled for business about 45,000 miles per year. I had a 2016 Luxury model with DSP. There was after nightfall, as it turns out, a disabled vehicle sans lights, period, in the left lane of interstate 10 in Texas. As you can imagine, there is little time to react at interstate speed limits in total pitch black darkness, even with the awesome Lexus LED lights. Black box data showed that I began the braking process rather than the PSC system which was designed to prevent these types of situations, or at least allow one to safely handle these situations. So this is an account where it failed in glorious fashion. The robust build of the GX saved my life in the end, albeit with broken ribs and fractured sternum both from the seat belt tensioning up, and an eye bruise from the driver's air bag. The GX did not tumble but spun around a number of times until it stopped facing backwards in the median of the interstate. There was not a single body panel nor intact tires/rims left unscathed, and there was a leak emanating from the gas tank. Every air bag deployed, obviously. Incredibly the engine could be started sans problem. I thought it was still running and I was attempting to turn it off. I could not open the driver door. And a motorist who had stopped to help was able to help me get out safely. This is one hell of a tank. Yet I did not replace it with another because the very feature I paid extra for at the time failed. Attempts with Lexus to get some resolution came away with empty hands, as you can imagine. I suspect that there may have been an issue with the sensor since I had previously reported to Lexus an intermittent issue of the wipers going on by themselves and the proximity sensors going off also by themselves when in first place at a red light. As what occurs on too many occasions, the service department ignored addressing the issue.

While I was tempted to purchase another as the 2023 model is the last of the Mohicans, in the end I am still left with the experience of this failed system designed by Toyota/Lexus. I have scars as reminders. I hope the PSC system is better today than the 2016 model I had, for everyone's sake.
Old 04-19-23, 10:32 AM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k4
FWIW ... About four years ago, I survived a total crash where the GX was completely destroyed, the PSC of which did NOT perform as expected. I too chose the DSP because of the PSC system and safety measures since at that time I traveled for business about 45,000 miles per year. I had a 2016 Luxury model with DSP. There was after nightfall, as it turns out, a disabled vehicle sans lights, period, in the left lane of interstate 10 in Texas. As you can imagine, there is little time to react at interstate speed limits in total pitch black darkness, even with the awesome Lexus LED lights. Black box data showed that I began the braking process rather than the PSC system which was designed to prevent these types of situations, or at least allow one to safely handle these situations. So this is an account where it failed in glorious fashion. The robust build of the GX saved my life in the end, albeit with broken ribs and fractured sternum both from the seat belt tensioning up, and an eye bruise from the driver's air bag. The GX did not tumble but spun around a number of times until it stopped facing backwards in the median of the interstate. There was not a single body panel nor intact tires/rims left unscathed, and there was a leak emanating from the gas tank. Every air bag deployed, obviously. Incredibly the engine could be started sans problem. I thought it was still running and I was attempting to turn it off. I could not open the driver door. And a motorist who had stopped to help was able to help me get out safely. This is one hell of a tank. Yet I did not replace it with another because the very feature I paid extra for at the time failed. Attempts with Lexus to get some resolution came away with empty hands, as you can imagine. I suspect that there may have been an issue with the sensor since I had previously reported to Lexus an intermittent issue of the wipers going on by themselves and the proximity sensors going off also by themselves when in first place at a red light. As what occurs on too many occasions, the service department ignored addressing the issue.

While I was tempted to purchase another as the 2023 model is the last of the Mohicans, in the end I am still left with the experience of this failed system designed by Toyota/Lexus. I have scars as reminders. I hope the PSC system is better today than the 2016 model I had, for everyone's sake.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like your system operated as designed. It is my understanding that the PSC version in a 2016 GX can only activate AFTER you've pressed the brake pedal.
Old 04-19-23, 11:54 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k4

The pre-collision system was working as intended. It uses radar to detect relative speed, but if there is a stationary object it will ignore it at high speeds. This is a limitation of the technology. Newer systems can brake and detect stopped vehicles at lower speeds with the use of camera systems. This is also why dynamic cruise control stops under 25 mph. Completely stopping your heavy vehicle may not be possible with the equipped braking system. If the car in front of you is moving and slams on the brakes, your car will detect that rapid deceleration and will brake accordingly to avoid or mitigate the impact. Also, all years of the GX460 will have the first generation radar technology. Due to the lack of electric power steering and primitive braking system, it is difficult to update the active safety features.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-au...y-crash-radar/

Here is a good article describing the limitations of the technology. It's definitely not perfect, but it is getting better and better. I'm fairly certain the next generation GX will have the latest Lexus Safety Sense 3.0.
The following users liked this post:
pacnwatx (04-19-23)
Old 05-04-23, 11:32 AM
chadmon97
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at a used with driver support Curious to know about the hdmi. Where is it located and what is for? Thanks!

Old 05-04-23, 11:36 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

RSES is "rear seat entertainment system", there is an HDMI port on the back of the centre console that rear seat occupants have connect HDMI to to watch on the rear screens
Old 05-04-23, 11:46 AM
chadmon97
Driver School Candidate

2 different hdmi are listed

Old 05-04-23, 01:44 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by chadmon97
2 different hdmi are listed

A typical copy and paste error that seller just try to list as many as features possible. The HDMI port (from OEM) is only available with RSES. There is not part of Driver Support Package.
The following users liked this post:
chadmon97 (05-09-23)
Old 05-09-23, 02:17 AM
chadmon97
Driver School Candidate

one of my favorite places, did some mission work at the Navajo Nation in Montezuma Creek back in my younger days. Hoping my new GX will carry me back some day

Originally Posted by jonnyt50

Pic of the Lexus after driving on some muddy roads in Kansas.

How muddy was it? Pretty muddy.

One of my pics from recent road trip through Monument Valley.
Old 05-09-23, 02:27 AM
chadmon97
Driver School Candidate

thanks for sharing, still shopping for my new, used gx;. been tempted to ignore the lack of the driver support but your story motivates me to wait longer until I find one with it included

Originally Posted by jonnyt50
I picked up a 2017 Lexus GX (Luxury w/driver support package) in late 2017. And it's a beaut!

I knew I wanted the driver support package and all of the nanny systems as I go on some long drives on all sorts of highways (interstate, 2 lane, etc.). But I didn't know how important that decision would be until just last month while traveling through southeastern Colorado.

It was morning.... shortly after sunrise. So I have plenty of visibility of items in the sun but shadows are harsh and dark. Hardly a cloud in the sky and I'm traveling on a 2 lane highway. I have a Ford F-150 truck in front of me at a respectable distance. And coming towards me are two enormous logging trucks. They're filled over the cab with rather large cut trees. So as they're approaching I'm paying close attention to my lane to make sure I give them plenty of space. The first truck passes me and then I look forward to the 2nd truck coming my way. And that's when all sorts of things went wild.

The Ford F150 I had been following (and we're in the middle of nowhere Colorado) needed to turn left. So he was stopped waiting for the 2nd logging truck so he could make his turn. I didn't pick up that he had stopped at all but the GX 460 did. Next thing I know I hear loud beeping. I feel my seat belt tighten all around me. And then full on braking power even before I could begin to lift off the gas. At first, I was confused at what the heck my vehicle was doing. And why was it doing it? But obviously the Lexus knew what was about to happen and stepped in to save the day.

The pre-collision system had me slowed down enough to where the Ford truck had enough time to make his turn. The logging trucks went by, and I carried on the rest of my journey without anyone having to make a trip to the hospital (or worse). After the danger passed, I could hear the seat belt loosen up. I saw another post where user said they were sore from the amount of tightening experienced on the seat belt. Mine didn't tighten up to that extreme at all. It felt very snug... but not enough to cause any soreness at all.

So anyhow, that's my story. If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd strongly consider the driver support package.