Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have liked to have it on ours.
Old 12-07-17, 05:08 PM
bodagetta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777
I would have liked to have it on ours.
We have this package on the wife's GX. The lane departure warning is very nice as is the adaptive cruise control (though we very rarely use that feature because we're both somewhat anti-cruise control, excluding autopilot on the Tesla which I use pretty much any time it's enabled). The most valuable feature out of that package is the pre-collision system. It has saved our butts more than a few times, and the one time we did have an incident (deer darted out in front of the vehicle on a rural road and we could do nothing to avoid it), the car greatly minimized the impact and the damage. I highly recommend getting the package if you're special ordering a luxury model and agree that it would be nice if it was offered on the lower packages as well (getting that package was really the only reason we chose the luxury trim, which I guess means their strategy is working).
Old 12-09-17, 11:20 AM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

DLW is a waste of time. All of the rest is nice. The cameras could use a better birds eye view.
Old 12-09-17, 11:40 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I think in other markets both sides have the cameras instead of just the passenger side.
Old 01-25-18, 07:08 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Driver support package add-on???

Hear me out..... I was searching online and might have found something interesting. If someone can read Russian, your help would be greatly appreciated. Google translate can only do so much.

There is a Russian Club Lexus forum. It doesn't look like there is much activity but has something of interest. It looks like someone there added features of the driver support package onto his vehicle. The main post was about parking sensors, but I think the individual Dmitry_N may have added the front and side view cameras along with getting crawl control/ multi terrain to work. They mention a Driving support switch control (located above the glovebox) on page 3 of the forum thread. The part number when googled shows as a $200 item here in the US.

Link is below.
Page 1 has a bunch of part numbers for the modifcation
Page 3 and 4 have information that may indicate that he added the Driver support options.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53823

There is another thread advertising a service with the installation of extra cameras and getting parking sensors to work. The OEM cameras are expensive (around $7-800), but aftermarket cameras on aliexpress or taobao are drastically cheaper.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42398

This thread has part numbers for the GX and the 150 Prado.
https://club-lexus.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72929

If (and this is a big if), the driving support switch module is added, does this mean we can have an a la carte choice of adding some additional features?

Note:
Those forum posts are dated around 2010-2012. I think they should apply to all years of the current generation though.

Quick Reference:
Driver support includes the following
Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system,
High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams
and... the moving lines on the backup camera???
Old 01-26-18, 01:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Driver support includes the following
Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system,
High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,
Lane Departure Alert,
Crawl Control
Intelligent High beams
and... the moving lines on the backup camera???

Without further insight on how they did this, I can say that at most of those features would require a sensor initiation/calibration from a person with the know and hardware. Dont know if this still exists but, 360 camera stitching back a couple years ago required the cameras and body modules to be installed and then manually calibrated to ensure picture quality. Same thing with LDA systems and DRCCs.

If this is possible with say Techstream and some plug and play modules then keep me updated.
Old 01-26-18, 06:38 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

impossible to add DS package.
Its integrated with everything on the suv and it requires knowing toyota codes, which no body can possibly crack.
Also, the Lexus symbol on front is different than all others due to the radar mechanism.
Old 01-26-18, 06:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Not impossible...but time and money would be better spent replacing with vehicle optioned with package. It would likely takes years to bring it all together.

Frankly... I am only interested in crawl control piece out of that package and that has a chance of becoming a mod reality from what I have seen.

Last edited by Acrad; 01-26-18 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-26-18, 07:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4Fun
impossible to add DS package.
Its integrated with everything on the suv and it requires knowing toyota codes, which no body can possibly crack.
Also, the Lexus symbol on front is different than all others due to the radar mechanism.
Agree with Acrad35751 that its not completely impossible, but alot of effort. For instance camera integration without the 360 stitching is possible I believe at least front view, with a beat sonic adapter.
The Radar Cruise,LDA tougher for sure

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-28-18 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 12:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Not impossible...but time and money would be better spent replacing with vehicle optioned with package. It would likely takes years to bring it all together.

Frankly... I am only interested in crawl control piece out of that package and that has a chance of becoming a mod reality from what I have seen.

LOL....u must be smarter than lexus right?

BTW, the camera used above isnt even the actual camera on the DS package - its a knock off.

Do everyone a favor and just wait for next generation GX or whatever is coming. I would hate for some idiot to wreck their SUV and kill me in process because they 'added on' the DS package.
It would never pass state inspection here anyway.
Old 01-27-18, 01:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I just want my crawl control... hopefully not too much of danger at 5MPH max speed :-)

BTW, the camera used above isnt even the actual camera on the DS package - its a knock off.

Do everyone a favor and just wait for next generation GX or whatever is coming. I would hate for some idiot to wreck their SUV and kill me in process because they 'added on' the DS package.
Old 01-28-18, 06:27 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Camera quality is meh, Its not like Lexus is using a 4K sensor thats proprietary to them, they source same 480p sensors found in the knockoffs. Its of course up to DIYer to understand the limits of off the shelf components tho
Old 01-28-18, 06:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I just want my crawl control... hopefully not too much of danger at 5MPH max speed :-)
Dangerous and risky of course. If your going to, I`d pick up a shop manual or the online TIS to see what and how is need to integrate the modules, and switches
Old 02-19-18, 03:16 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Driver Support Package" Question 2014+

Hey all,

So I'm going to be getting a GX within the next twelve months as the family is growing and the e91 just doesn't cut it anymore. That being said -- a 360° camera system is essentially essential for a vehicle of this size so my wife feels comfortable manoeuvring it when space is tight.

I am looking on AutoTrader and the "Driver Support Package" on Luxury-trimmed models is basically non-existent. On all of AutoTrader -- nationwide -- there is only one available in PA with the 360° camera system under $40k.

Am I missing something here, bad timing, etc., etc., or is there a reason these (seemingly really useful and practical) options never came with these cars?

EDIT: Question 2: The GX460 is also available in the Russian market -- are the Russian GXs and American GXs built in the same factory?

Best,

Gat

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-19-18 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 03:33 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Just so you understand, US spec GX Drive Support Package does not have the 360 around view camera. It only has the so call “wide view camera” which will give you Front, right side, and rear view, AT SEPERATE VIEWS, not stitched as a one top view picture. Which means that you can not see all the camera views at same time. During backup, all you can see is the rear view just like others. In forward motion under 6 mph, you can active the front and side views. Hope this info helps. The only 360 around view options available in Lexus lines are: LX570, RX, NX, and new LS.
The following users liked this post:
Gatriel (02-19-18)

Quick Reply: Driver Support Package