GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Driver Support Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 03:39 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Just so you understand, US spec GX Drive Support Package does not have the 360 around view camera. It only has the so call “wide view camera” which will give you Front, right side, and rear view, AT SEPERATE VIEWS, not stitched as a one top view picture. Which means that you can not see all the camera views at same time. During backup, all you can see is the rear view just like others. In forward motion under 6 mph, you can active the front and side views. Hope this info helps. The only 360 around view options available in Lexus lines are: LX570, RX, NX, and new LS.
Thanks for the clarification -- apologies for the "short-hand" I used "360° Camera" to mean this wide-view camera set/feature.

Questions re; "Driver Support Package" and RDM v USDM still outstanding.

Best,

Gat

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-19-18 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 06:21 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

All GX are built in the same factory if I am not mistake.
The following users liked this post:
Gatriel (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 06:26 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
All GX are built in the same factory if I am not mistake.
That makes sense and what I would assume as well. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 04-09-18, 06:08 AM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver Support Package - Huge Thumbs Up

I picked up a 2017 Lexus GX (Luxury w/driver support package) in late 2017. And it's a beaut!

I knew I wanted the driver support package and all of the nanny systems as I go on some long drives on all sorts of highways (interstate, 2 lane, etc.). But I didn't know how important that decision would be until just last month while traveling through southeastern Colorado.

It was morning.... shortly after sunrise. So I have plenty of visibility of items in the sun but shadows are harsh and dark. Hardly a cloud in the sky and I'm traveling on a 2 lane highway. I have a Ford F-150 truck in front of me at a respectable distance. And coming towards me are two enormous logging trucks. They're filled over the cab with rather large cut trees. So as they're approaching I'm paying close attention to my lane to make sure I give them plenty of space. The first truck passes me and then I look forward to the 2nd truck coming my way. And that's when all sorts of things went wild.

The Ford F150 I had been following (and we're in the middle of nowhere Colorado) needed to turn left. So he was stopped waiting for the 2nd logging truck so he could make his turn. I didn't pick up that he had stopped at all but the GX 460 did. Next thing I know I hear loud beeping. I feel my seat belt tighten all around me. And then full on braking power even before I could begin to lift off the gas. At first, I was confused at what the heck my vehicle was doing. And why was it doing it? But obviously the Lexus knew what was about to happen and stepped in to save the day.

The pre-collision system had me slowed down enough to where the Ford truck had enough time to make his turn. The logging trucks went by, and I carried on the rest of my journey without anyone having to make a trip to the hospital (or worse). After the danger passed, I could hear the seat belt loosen up. I saw another post where user said they were sore from the amount of tightening experienced on the seat belt. Mine didn't tighten up to that extreme at all. It felt very snug... but not enough to cause any soreness at all.

So anyhow, that's my story. If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd strongly consider the driver support package.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonnyt50:
chadmon97 (05-09-23), FOGeologist (08-08-23)
Old 04-09-18, 06:13 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

amazing story. I also wanted driver support package but it's like a unicorn around here.
Old 04-09-18, 06:13 AM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Pic of the Lexus after driving on some muddy roads in Kansas.

How muddy was it? Pretty muddy.

One of my pics from recent road trip through Monument Valley.
The following 2 users liked this post by jonnyt50:
chadmon97 (05-09-23), FOGeologist (08-08-23)
Old 04-09-18, 06:15 AM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuandino
amazing story. I also wanted driver support package but it's like a unicorn around here.
Yes... the driver support pkg is like a unicorn around Kansas City as well. I had to do a nationwide/regional search. I found the one I wanted in Chicago area and had it transported.
Old 04-09-18, 06:41 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

PCS has its drawbacks . be careful with it. This is only the first generation so expect it to get better with newer technology
Old 04-09-18, 08:43 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyt50

Pic of the Lexus after driving on some muddy roads in Kansas.

How muddy was it? Pretty muddy.

One of my pics from recent road trip through Monument Valley.
Great story!
Also nice shot of monument valley. I want to go there one day.

The following users liked this post:
chadmon97 (05-09-23)
Old 04-09-18, 08:26 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyt50
I picked up a 2017 Lexus GX (Luxury w/driver support package) in late 2017. And it's a beaut!

I knew I wanted the driver support package and all of the nanny systems as I go on some long drives on all sorts of highways (interstate, 2 lane, etc.). But I didn't know how important that decision would be until just last month while traveling through southeastern Colorado.

It was morning.... shortly after sunrise. So I have plenty of visibility of items in the sun but shadows are harsh and dark. Hardly a cloud in the sky and I'm traveling on a 2 lane highway. I have a Ford F-150 truck in front of me at a respectable distance. And coming towards me are two enormous logging trucks. They're filled over the cab with rather large cut trees. So as they're approaching I'm paying close attention to my lane to make sure I give them plenty of space. The first truck passes me and then I look forward to the 2nd truck coming my way. And that's when all sorts of things went wild.

The Ford F150 I had been following (and we're in the middle of nowhere Colorado) needed to turn left. So he was stopped waiting for the 2nd logging truck so he could make his turn. I didn't pick up that he had stopped at all but the GX 460 did. Next thing I know I hear loud beeping. I feel my seat belt tighten all around me. And then full on braking power even before I could begin to lift off the gas. At first, I was confused at what the heck my vehicle was doing. And why was it doing it? But obviously the Lexus knew what was about to happen and stepped in to save the day.

The pre-collision system had me slowed down enough to where the Ford truck had enough time to make his turn. The logging trucks went by, and I carried on the rest of my journey without anyone having to make a trip to the hospital (or worse). After the danger passed, I could hear the seat belt loosen up. I saw another post where user said they were sore from the amount of tightening experienced on the seat belt. Mine didn't tighten up to that extreme at all. It felt very snug... but not enough to cause any soreness at all.

So anyhow, that's my story. If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd strongly consider the driver support package.
Originally Posted by tuandino
Originally Posted by T4Fun
PCS has its drawbacks . be careful with it. This is only the first generation so expect it to get better with newer technology
It is tough to find... precisely why I had to buy new.

As far as the PCS, it is calibrated toward aggressive driving, IMHO. Meaning not smooth braking. I prefer a smooth steady eddie deceleration over more aggressive stomp the brake pedal variety. I asked the dealer if it were possible to change its calibration... they said it was not. If you're not used to it, it can be startling, even a bit dangerous when it stops so suddenly for you automatically.

The adaptive cruise control works great. It does tend to increase fuel consumption just a bit though.

LDA is a waste of time.

The cameras are useful, but I would prefer a 360 view.
Old 04-10-18, 10:16 AM
jonnyt50
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree the Lane Departure Alert is a waste. It's too sensitive and will beep you to death under normal driving.

Maybe useful if driving and you know you're a little sleepy? Not sure... but I keep mine off almost all the time.

The adaptive cruise is great though.
Old 04-10-18, 02:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I'd look for one myself if I was in the market now.

jonnyt50: Gonna add the MTS module? Even if you don't off-road I found it makes the GX even more composed in snow since the Mud/Sand mode can be used in 4H mode.
Old 04-10-18, 04:14 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default How do you add it?

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I'd look for one myself if I was in the market now.

jonnyt50: Gonna add the MTS module? Even if you don't off-road I found it makes the GX even more composed in snow since the Mud/Sand mode can be used in 4H mode.
DIdn't know you could add the MTS module. Do you have a how to and where to obtain?

Randy B
Old 04-10-18, 04:15 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

You will want the 040 module for your '14+

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9899361

MTS is plug and play... Crawl for those that don't have it takes a little more work.
Old 04-10-18, 08:34 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Lane departure warning is pretty nice on the Bmw 435s just a slight vibration of the steering when ur going slowly off the track.

Quick Reply: Driver Support Package