GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Driver Support Package

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 05:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I was able to get a build sheet for mine contacting Lexus via the Lexus Owners website. Not sure they would do this for a vehicle one wasn't the owner though.

You could aways try though

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Old 05-27-18, 06:39 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I was able to get a build sheet for mine contacting Lexus via the Lexus Owners website. Not sure they would do this for a vehicle one wasn't the owner though.

You could aways try though

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
Specifically, try using https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

It seems to work for identifying factory and port installed options. I didn't find it necessary to log on to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas:
Acrad (05-27-18), SteveInCal (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 11:02 AM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Specifically, try using https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

It seems to work for identifying factory and port installed options. I didn't find it necessary to log on to use it.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I've found two units that meet all (or most) of my requirements. The only issue is their asking price Pretty hard to justify over $50k for a 2-3 year-old GX...
Old 05-27-18, 03:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I've found two units that meet all (or most) of my requirements. The only issue is their asking price Pretty hard to justify over $50k for a 2-3 year-old GX...
The justification is that it is a Lexus/Toyota That is why many people research a used 2-3 year old model only to find buying new makes more sense. I have read the same with Toyota pick-up trucks as well.
Old 05-27-18, 10:29 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman

The justification is that it is a Lexus/Toyota That is why many people research a used 2-3 year old model only to find buying new makes more sense. I have read the same with Toyota pick-up trucks as well.
Yup, used 2017 premiums are going for $50k when you can buy a brand new 2018 for about $50k.
Old 06-03-18, 11:31 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

I've narrowed my search and found a nice 2014 Luxury that meets all my criteria. Hopefully, it's still available.

Quick question: Besides being two years newer, is there anything different about the 2016 models vs the 2014's? I'm wondering if they improved the Driver Support System or some other components.

If not, I'm going to pursue the 2014.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-18, 05:49 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I've narrowed my search and found a nice 2014 Luxury that meets all my criteria. Hopefully, it's still available.

Quick question: Besides being two years newer, is there anything different about the 2016 models vs the 2014's? I'm wondering if they improved the Driver Support System or some other components.

If not, I'm going to pursue the 2014.

Thanks.
No drivetrain and other significant changes since 2014. For 2016 and beyond, only added captain chair for the second row, sport package (just the appearance for body trims), Apple Siri Talk for dictating text messages as a standard feature to all GX from 2015 and up.
The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 07:56 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Originally Posted by hzhao
No drivetrain and other significant changes since 2014. For 2016 and beyond, only added captain chair for the second row, sport package (just the appearance for body trims), Apple Siri Talk for dictating text messages as a standard feature to all GX from 2015 and up.
Thanks for the reply. They sold the 2014 last Saturday

The search continues...
Old 06-04-18, 08:36 PM
hzhao
Racer

Thanks for the reply. They sold the 2014 last Saturday

The search continues...
Sorry to hear that. And good luck and I am sure that you will find one eventually.
Old 06-25-18, 03:39 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
If one is looking for an almost fully decked pre-refresh model (just no rear seat entertainment) one of my local Lexus dealers has a '12.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...618609385.html

Looks like being sold by the selling dealer too.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not in the market anymore

The dealer in SoCal finally came down to a realistic number, so I bought a 2016 with 13k miles that includes the Driver Support Package. So far, I love it!

Old 06-25-18, 10:42 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I got my '13 GX 460 almost a month ago and here are my initial impressions for the Driver's Support Package:

Radar Cruise Control: This is only really useful on a highway with little traffic, such as long drives between cities. As for use on a highway within the city with a lot of other cars around, it's quite annoying. The shortest distance to set between you and the vehicle ahead of you is too large, about 5 car lengths. This leaves more than enough room for others to merge between you and the car in front you. This causes the GX to think you're too close to the new car in front and it will slow down a bit and push you further back leading to more room between you and the car in front for others to merge. This will keep going on if you don't override the cruise control and hold your position closer to the vehicle in front of you. Also sometimes it's a bit aggressive with the breaking when a car merges in front you and sometimes it's nice and smooth, I can't find a pattern to it. You can disable it, but it has to be disabled every time you turn the cruise control on and before you set your speed.

Pre-Collision System with Driver Attention Monitor: Initial thoughts are that it's a bit aggressive, but better safe than sorry. Traffic ahead of me had slowed down and I gave the brake pedal a quick, but short, panicked hard press about half way down and the car panicked more than I did. It's impressive how quickly it can slow down the car and it will give you a good squeeze with the seat belts too.

Lane Departure warning: Hit or miss, honestly more of an annoyance as the detection is not that accurate. Similar to the Adaptive/Radar cruise control in that it's more useful on long trips where the roads/highways are less congested and less entrance/exits to the lanes.

Wide + Side view Cameras: I took the GX to an offroad park 2 weeks after I bought it and the Side-View camera was extremely helpful. Yes it would be nice to have one on the left side as well, but you can easily stick your head out the window and check your clearance.

Auto-High Beam: This was hit or miss. I used it on a 3 hour trip from San Antonio to Houston and sometimes it was really good at turning off when vehicles were traveling in the opposite directions, other times it stayed on causing me to be the ******* blinding oncoming traffic. From what I remember it worked much better regarding cars ahead of me. Tried it once in the city and it was inconsistent.

Crawl Control: Used it going through a really muddy area at the off-road park, it does no good when you're centered :P. Didn't test it after that. Just ordered the module to add MTS.
Old 07-20-18, 09:10 AM
geltik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
I got my '13 GX 460 almost a month ago and here are my initial impressions for the Driver's Support Package:

Radar Cruise Control: This is only really useful on a highway with little traffic, such as long drives between cities. As for use on a highway within the city with a lot of other cars around, it's quite annoying. The shortest distance to set between you and the vehicle ahead of you is too large, about 5 car lengths. This leaves more than enough room for others to merge between you and the car in front you. This causes the GX to think you're too close to the new car in front and it will slow down a bit and push you further back leading to more room between you and the car in front for others to merge. This will keep going on if you don't override the cruise control and hold your position closer to the vehicle in front of you. Also sometimes it's a bit aggressive with the breaking when a car merges in front you and sometimes it's nice and smooth, I can't find a pattern to it. You can disable it, but it has to be disabled every time you turn the cruise control on and before you set your speed.

Pre-Collision System with Driver Attention Monitor: Initial thoughts are that it's a bit aggressive, but better safe than sorry. Traffic ahead of me had slowed down and I gave the brake pedal a quick, but short, panicked hard press about half way down and the car panicked more than I did. It's impressive how quickly it can slow down the car and it will give you a good squeeze with the seat belts too.

Lane Departure warning: Hit or miss, honestly more of an annoyance as the detection is not that accurate. Similar to the Adaptive/Radar cruise control in that it's more useful on long trips where the roads/highways are less congested and less entrance/exits to the lanes.

Wide + Side view Cameras: I took the GX to an offroad park 2 weeks after I bought it and the Side-View camera was extremely helpful. Yes it would be nice to have one on the left side as well, but you can easily stick your head out the window and check your clearance.

Auto-High Beam: This was hit or miss. I used it on a 3 hour trip from San Antonio to Houston and sometimes it was really good at turning off when vehicles were traveling in the opposite directions, other times it stayed on causing me to be the ******* blinding oncoming traffic. From what I remember it worked much better regarding cars ahead of me. Tried it once in the city and it was inconsistent.

Crawl Control: Used it going through a really muddy area at the off-road park, it does no good when you're centered :P. Didn't test it after that. Just ordered the module to add MTS.
Thanks for the detailed review! I'm in searching for a used GX with DRCC. Does the 2013 Driver's support packge equipped with all speed DRCC that would come to a full stop in traffic or old DRCC that would disengage under 20/25 mph? Thx!
Old 07-20-18, 02:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by geltik
Thanks for the detailed review! I'm in searching for a used GX with DRCC. Does the 2013 Driver's support packge equipped with all speed DRCC that would come to a full stop in traffic or old DRCC that would disengage under 20/25 mph? Thx!
It's the old 20-25MPH version... all the same even on '18s.
Old 08-06-18, 07:58 PM
Husham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCS indicator

Hi,
i have PCS indicator light ON on control panel of my GX460 model 2018 It seems that there is no problem in radar or cruise control system. Anybody can tell me what to do ? Thanks
Old 08-07-18, 11:55 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Husham
Hi,
i have PCS indicator light ON on control panel of my GX460 model 2018 It seems that there is no problem in radar or cruise control system. Anybody can tell me what to do ? Thanks
There is a button under the steering column behind knee airbag, where to disable the PCS (nothing to do with the adaptive radar cruise). Someone must accidentally pushed switch.

Quick Reply: Driver Support Package