GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2016 GX Premium build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 07:10 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks great...I think that is the kit I've ultimately decided to go with. Just trying to decide on wheels now...
Old 03-05-19, 07:17 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
Looks great...I think that is the kit I've ultimately decided to go with. Just trying to decide on wheels now...
Thank you.
Choosing wheels was a battle for me. Happy with what I ended up with. I Googled lots of options, as I knew I didn't want to go the SCS, Method, FN route, so my search was a bit difficult as I wanted to be different and I think I accomplished that.
Old 03-05-19, 08:28 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Really like your wheels! Wonder what they'd look like with bronze centers?
Your rig is coming along very nicely!
Old 03-05-19, 08:49 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Originally Posted by r2m
Really like your wheels! Wonder what they'd look like with bronze centers?
Your rig is coming along very nicely!
Much appreciated!
Well, to further confuse the masses, I've ordered some simple custom made Lexus center cap emblems in what I hope to be the exact size. RRW sent me the specs, and my order is somewhere on the Atlantic right now. Black gloss dome with silver L logos.
Old 03-05-19, 03:15 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Lift looks great. You and few others are showing the rest of us a good lift option that keeps factory like ride.
Old 03-05-19, 03:39 PM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you recal your speedometer? How is the gearing now with the diameter increase?
Old 03-05-19, 05:31 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Originally Posted by ltsr
Lift looks great. You and few others are showing the rest of us a good lift option that keeps factory like ride.
I'm loving the ride. It's nice having an option that retains a stock like comfort level with a bit of refinement.

Originally Posted by Beachy
Did you recal your speedometer? How is the gearing now with the diameter increase?
Negative. It's a 4.4% increase in size. I've tested the speedometer against two GPS and at 70 on the speedometer actual speed fluctuates 71/72. At 80 on the truck it's more like 83/84. I don't travel at 80 much, so it's not a huge concern. The truck feels just as responsive now as it did on stock wheels and tires and I added about 20lbs per corner.
The following users liked this post:
Beachy (03-06-19)
Old 03-06-19, 04:37 AM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Nice didn’t realize it was that little % increase ! Also I imagined it would be hardly noticeable on the torquey v8. Glad to hear everything is peachy with your setup, thanks again for sharing!
Old 03-06-19, 04:42 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Nice didn’t realize it was that little % increase ! Also I imagined it would be hardly noticeable on the torquey v8. Glad to hear everything is peachy with your setup, thanks again for sharing!
That's exactly why I didn't go with the 275/60/20 as I had originally planned. That tire is a a full inch larger than the 275/55/20, and is a 7.5% increase over stock. Since we cannot easily correct our speedometer, I didn't feel it was needed to go that large for what I'm using the rig for. And yes, the extra torque of the V8 more than compensates for the small increase in tire size, and weight. It'd probably be more noticeable on the T4R.
Old 03-08-19, 06:09 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Got talked into having some photos taken for a local show event run by a friend. Decent outcome.

The following 2 users liked this post by MCDavis:
Beachy (03-09-19), Philly01 (05-23-19)
Old 03-09-19, 07:26 AM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCDavis

Massively depends on wheel offset. I could go bigger, but would need to go with more positive offset to keep it out of the body mount, but I’m also up 2”.

This tire size and the equivalent 275/65/18 with an offset near stock should fit a stock truck.

I'm in the process of feeling out the GX platform in regard to wheel fitment. Does more offset (negative ie -18 or 0 compared to stock +25mm) increase your likelihood of hitting the body mounts or cab mounts. I have used wheel offset comparison tools in the past but mainly on my Jeep which you can avoid hitting anything by pushing the wheels out further due to their open fenders.

I understand how to apply backspacing to the UCA's and suspension components when increasing tire size, but am hoping someone with experience with the GX can say where the fitment limitations are with the fenders.

Also are CV angles concerning with a 3/2 lift like you have?

Did you order from Dobinson direct?

One more question OP... are the parking sensors and rear crossing alert still working normally with the lift?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Beachy; 03-09-19 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 01:53 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MCDavis
I'm loving the ride. It's nice having an option that retains a stock like comfort level with a bit of refinement.

Negative. It's a 4.4% increase in size. I've tested the speedometer against two GPS and at 70 on the speedometer actual speed fluctuates 71/72. At 80 on the truck it's more like 83/84. I don't travel at 80 much, so it's not a huge concern. The truck feels just as responsive now as it did on stock wheels and tires and I added about 20lbs per corner.
Wow 20lbs! I cant imagine your fuel economy and ride quality remained the same. Or even road noise. If this is your offroad rig, the tradeoff is worth it. Im trying to figure out a way to lower the weight at each corner by 10 to 15lbs.
Old 03-09-19, 05:54 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

I'm in the process of feeling out the GX platform in regard to wheel fitment. Does more offset (negative ie -18 or 0 compared to stock +25mm) increase your likelihood of hitting the body mounts or cab mounts. I have used wheel offset comparison tools in the past but mainly on my Jeep which you can avoid hitting anything by pushing the wheels out further due to their open fenders.
I understand how to apply backspacing to the UCA's and suspension components when increasing tire size, but am hoping someone with experience with the GX can say where the fitment limitations are with the fenders.
Also are CV angles concerning with a 3/2 lift like you have?
Did you order from Dobinson direct?
One more question OP... are the parking sensors and rear crossing alert still working normally with the lift?

Thanks in advance!
Closer to 0mm will push you further into the fender liners. Depends on your wheel width too, as a 0mm 9" wide wheel and a 0mm 8.5" wheel don't end up in the same outer location.
I used this calculator to help me understand the affect:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...th=9&offset2=0
The nice thing about this calculator is the wheel and tire visualization tool.

I replied to your PM about the lift.

Originally Posted by situman
Wow 20lbs! I cant imagine your fuel economy and ride quality remained the same. Or even road noise. If this is your offroad rig, the tradeoff is worth it. Im trying to figure out a way to lower the weight at each corner by 10 to 15lbs.
I'm down 1-1.5 mpg once I correct the 4.4% difference by hand. I didn't buy it for mileage, and it's getting similar mileage to my previous vehicle...yet is more comfortable all the way around.
Old 05-06-19, 05:56 AM
MCDavis
Rookie

Was finally able to give the GX some good trail duty this weekend. She performed flawlessly. I'm still amazed at how much torque this engine delivers in 4L. She climbs like a goat.
Some basic pics:

The following 4 users liked this post by MCDavis:
Acrad (05-06-19), Carter16 (05-22-19), Jmildoc (05-06-19), Philly01 (05-23-19)
Old 05-06-19, 06:11 AM
Jmildoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build! I will do these kind of upgrades when I get my wife something new and this turns into my toy She wont let me go crazy on it like I have my truck, keep the updates coming!
The following users liked this post:
MCDavis (05-06-19)

Quick Reply: 2016 GX Premium build