GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 01:27 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
Utter drivel...two totally different platforms.

To appease your nonsense, yes, I had higher load rated 22" tires (among other modifications) on my SRT and no, they weren't BFG ATs.
Were they LT...and were they Load Range E?

22” tires = basically low-profile tires with minimal sidewall...and purely sport-oriented (on-road).
Old 03-31-19, 01:28 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Better up your Med's ... current dosage is clearly not working.
Maybe i should have taken the red pill instead....
The following users liked this post:
itscorwin (02-06-20)
Old 03-31-19, 01:35 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

rhetorical post here

LOL, I like the mushy soft sidewall feel. I really like an old 70's boat caddy or lincoln ride, and I keep my GX in COMF mode.
I don't see how a stiffer sidewall would not improve some aspects of on road driving. Wouldn't a stiffer sidewall help to keep more tire under the rim? Similar to this:
"But in terms of cornering, when a tire has a shorter sidewall, it's stiffer, so you get less flexing from the tires on turns."

Isn't a stiffer sidewall another method to get some of the on road benefits of a lower profile tire, while maintaining proper size and some of the benefits of a larger sidewall tire?

From a tire test review:

Through a full day of testing, the most impressive characteristics of the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival were:
  • Precise turn-in - Thanks to very stiff sidewalls, initial turn-in and transitional response were direct and immediate. Stiff sidewalls are something that I especially like in a performance tire, so this was a big plus to me

anyways, good luck

Last edited by John00; 03-31-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-31-19, 04:51 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Let's settle this silliness. Prime example. Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara vs. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon. Car and Driver. Both stock tires.

Sahara:

curb weight = 4469.

tires = Bridgestone Dueler H/T 685 255/70R-18.

70-0 braking = 176 ft

roadholding = 0.73 g

Rubicon:

curb weight = 4579

tires = BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2, LT285/70R-17 116/113Q M+S

70-0 braking = 203 ft

roadholding = 0.69 g

Once again, you do NOT buy LT-tires for on-road "high-performance." You do NOT buy LT-tires for on-road comfort, handling, braking, and/or steering. You buy LT-tires for cargo carrying capacity, towing, and off-road durability.

Much higher unsprung weight + tall (and, yes stiffer) sidewall = ROUGH & stiff ride, harder to control,worst STEERING, and worst BRAKING!!
itscorwin (02-06-20)
Old 03-31-19, 04:57 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
rhetorical post here

LOL, I like the mushy soft sidewall feel. I really like an old 70's boat caddy or lincoln ride, and I keep my GX in COMF mode.
I don't see how a stiffer sidewall would not improve some aspects of on road driving. Wouldn't a stiffer sidewall help to keep more tire under the rim? Similar to this:
"But in terms of cornering, when a tire has a shorter sidewall, it's stiffer, so you get less flexing from the tires on turns."

Isn't a stiffer sidewall another method to get some of the on road benefits of a lower profile tire, while maintaining proper size and some of the benefits of a larger sidewall tire?

From a tire test review:

Through a full day of testing, the most impressive characteristics of the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival were:
  • Precise turn-in - Thanks to very stiff sidewalls, initial turn-in and transitional response were direct and immediate. Stiff sidewalls are something that I especially like in a performance tire, so this was a big plus to me

anyways, good luck
Maybe stiffer sidewall does help.....IF everything else being equal. But that is not the case. We're talking about thick sidewalls here, not low-profile sports car tires. Stiffer sidewall in these LT tires is accompanied by much higher unsprung weight. And given the propensity of most members here, when they go LT-tires, they also get TALLER sidewall (upsizing), which further negates the stiffness advantage. (This is why OKSIR83 Jeep WRT had 22" tires, which basically had minimal sidewall...sure they may be stiff but the sidewall was razor thin, which is the case with all sports car tires.)

Stiff sidewalls and precise turn-ins etc.........all apply to sports car tires with low profile. We're talking about off-road / towing tires here with high profile (thick) sidewalls.
Old 03-31-19, 08:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Ase and tigmd99 knock off the rude personal commentary or do not post please
itscorwin (02-06-20)
Old 03-31-19, 09:37 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Read the thread below to see more results from members. Perhaps the most popular, highest rated popular tire ever on the GX is this LT, bought and then commented on by people who actually bought them for their own personal reasons. Most replaced the OEM HP's (non LT tire).
The on road performance is mentioned, actually praised, then others buy them and repeat the experience.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-on-gx460.html

Can't believe that 'nobody' does this or that when people here, and in other threads, are not only saying they do this, but state the reasons why and their personal results.
Old 04-01-19, 03:49 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by John00
Read the thread below to see more results from members. Perhaps the most popular, highest rated popular tire ever on the GX is this LT, bought and then commented on by people who actually bought them for their own personal reasons. Most replaced the OEM HP's (non LT tire).
The on road performance is mentioned, actually praised, then others buy them and repeat the experience.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-on-gx460.html

Can't believe that 'nobody' does this or that when people here, and in other threads, are not only saying they do this, but state the reasons why and their personal results.
Self-fulfilling prophecy? Look at the Car and Driver test i noted above. Think about it though. Tall side wall. 10-15 lbs of unsprung weight increase.

BTW, if you guys find LT tire in stock size or +1 and it weighs under 45 lbs, then tell me. I am looking for something like that.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-01-19 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-01-19, 07:54 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Self-fulfilling prophecy? Look at the Car and Driver test i noted above. Think about it though. Tall side wall. 10-15 lbs of unsprung weight increase.

BTW, if you guys find LT tire in stock size or +1 and it weighs under 45 lbs, then tell me. I am looking for something like that.
Yes, because 45 lbs. is somehow the "magic" threshold. Please elaborate ...
Old 04-01-19, 08:16 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Yes, because 45 lbs. is somehow the "magic" threshold. Please elaborate ...
No...just wanted a lightweight LT tires...and i set a random lbs that i accept i guess...also because I have not found any at that range. Most LT tires are at least 50 lbs and above. Stock tire = 37-38 lbs i think. Most P-metric in stock or 265/65/18 sizes are around 40 lbs. So, i figured under 45 lbs LT won’t be too bad. I just want the lightest LT tires possible because I do off-road (or at least planned on).

But likely, i will go with P-metric Goodyear All-terrain Adventure at 265/65/18. Good weight to the tire (42 lbs). Strong sidewall. Pretty good looks.

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-01-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-02-19, 08:08 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Let's settle this silliness. Prime example. Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara vs. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon. Car and Driver. Both stock tires.

Sahara:

curb weight = 4469.

tires = Bridgestone Dueler H/T 685 255/70R-18.

70-0 braking = 176 ft

roadholding = 0.73 g

Rubicon:

curb weight = 4579

tires = BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2, LT285/70R-17 116/113Q M+S

70-0 braking = 203 ft

roadholding = 0.69 g

Once again, you do NOT buy LT-tires for on-road "high-performance." You do NOT buy LT-tires for on-road comfort, handling, braking, and/or steering. You buy LT-tires for cargo carrying capacity, towing, and off-road durability.

Much higher unsprung weight + tall (and, yes stiffer) sidewall = ROUGH & stiff ride, harder to control,worst STEERING, and worst BRAKING!!
If my quick research is correct, the Rubicon tire is 0.7" taller than the Sahara tire in your example. All else being equal, the increased torque required to stop the taller tire will result in a longer braking distance. I've been out of school too many years to calculate the change in distance, but it's there.

Back in the day, my Isuzu Rodeo had 31" tires and stopping that vehicle was scary at times, especially towing my boat:-0

If low-profile tires with stiff sidewalls reduce tire flex and improve handling, why wouldn't load range E tires provide the same benefit for a tall truck tire?
Old 04-02-19, 08:20 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
If low-profile tires with stiff sidewalls reduce tire flex and improve handling, why wouldn't load range E tires provide the same benefit for a tall truck tire?
Bingo ! Exactly !
Old 04-02-19, 08:31 PM
ASE
Pole Position

If my quick research is correct, the Rubicon tire is 0.7" taller than the Sahara tire in your example. All else being equal, the increased torque required to stop the taller tire will result in a longer braking distance. I've been out of school too many years to calculate the change in distance, but it's there.

Back in the day, my Isuzu Rodeo had 31" tires and stopping that vehicle was scary at times, especially towing my boat:-0
Lexus brakes have more braking capacity than the ones "Joe Isuzu" provided on the Rodeo that were marginal even with stock tires
Old 04-03-19, 06:08 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Because Load Range E tires also come with 10-15 lbs increase in UNSPRUNG weight at each corner. That’s the key. Ask any engineer or car expert, unsprung weight is the enemy of on-road performance in every which way!!

NO ONE buys Load Range E tires for on-road handling, comfort, or braking. No one. I bet you that Discount Tire expert would agree with me (but i don’t blame them for not jumping in here).

You buy Load Range E because of its increase durability and load capacity. Period. You do not buy it to enhance cornering prowess on the Autobahn!

Last edited by tigmd99; 04-03-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 06:16 AM
tigmd99
Racer

From an article:

Reducing unsprung weight is the key to improving handling. The lower the unsprung weight, the less work the shocks and springs have to do to keep the tires in contact with the road over bumpy surfaces. Lot of problems, if not all of them is caused by inertia. Bigger weight means higher inertia. Higher inertia means more workload for shocks and springs to keep tiers on the ground. If unsprung components have a high mass they are harder to accelerate/decelerate and thus it is more difficult for the suspension to maintain a consistent tire load.”

Quick Reply: Front Struts and Rear Shocks