GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front Struts and Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 12:25 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front Struts and Rear Shocks

We have a 2013 GX460 with about 91,000 miles on it. We took it to a local garage with a good reputation for an oil change and inspection. They called and said the front struts are leaking and worn out and the rear shocks are also worn out and the replacement will cost $1,175. They said the tires are cupping as a result. We've never had any struts or shocks replaced on any vehicle, although only one we've owned has had higher mileage than this. Also, the price sounds pretty steep. Any advice? Are we getting taken for a ride? We have to decide if we want them to order the parts and do the repair.
Old 02-25-19, 12:29 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Does your GX have adaptive suspension or just regular?
Old 02-25-19, 01:16 PM
LFIL
Rookie

By adaptive do you mean air suspension? If so, then no, just regular.
Old 02-25-19, 01:28 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

91k on the original struts aren't that bad and at least to me here in Los Angeles is very normal.
I've had the struts leak after 60k on my previous vehicle. DIY can be done with most regular tools with exception of spring compressors which can be borrowed and an impact driver.
Compressed springs are quite dangerous if not careful. The price given appears normal for all 4 replacements. imho.

good luck.
The following users liked this post:
LFIL (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 01:58 PM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LFIL
We have a 2013 GX460 with about 91,000 miles on it. We took it to a local garage with a good reputation for an oil change and inspection. They called and said the front struts are leaking and worn out and the rear shocks are also worn out and the replacement will cost $1,175. They said the tires are cupping as a result. We've never had any struts or shocks replaced on any vehicle, although only one we've owned has had higher mileage than this. Also, the price sounds pretty steep. Any advice? Are we getting taken for a ride? We have to decide if we want them to order the parts and do the repair.
I call bs. Get a second opinion. What are the chances are all done. You do heavy offroading?
LFIL (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 02:56 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Honestly, 90k and 5 years isn't outside of the realm of possibility for replacement, however I call BS on the price. I just added an assembled Dobinson's 2" lift and install for $1450 total, and that's a far upgrade over OEM components.
It's definitely worth a second opinion.
LFIL (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 03:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

A second opinion wont hurt. Anyone know of any good stock OEM replacements. RA and Amazon dont really seem to stock much KYB or trusted replacements?
LFIL (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 03:32 PM
Diablo6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
A second opinion wont hurt. Anyone know of any good stock OEM replacements. RA and Amazon dont really seem to stock much KYB or trusted replacements?
following....in a similar boat. Have 108k miles on the suspension of a used 2013 we just picked up. Thinking of doing Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners for about $400. Not interested in a lift since it’s the wife’s DD.
Old 02-25-19, 03:38 PM
MCDavis
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo6

following....in a similar boat. Have 108k miles on the suspension of a used 2013 we just picked up. Thinking of doing Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners for about $400. Not interested in a lift since it’s the wife’s DD.
You may want to look at the KYB offerings. Nothing against the 5100s, but they are a bit firmer than most stock setups, and valved more digressive than linear. She may enjoy the KYB.
Old 02-25-19, 03:50 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I don’t know...if you’re sticking with stock springs, then i would just stick to the OEM shocks IF you like the current ride/comfort of your GX. In my younger years, i tried aftermarket shocks on stock springs on various vehicles...never could match the ride quality of stock setup.
Old 02-25-19, 04:04 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

The entire reason shops have oil changes that they basically lose money on is to try an drum up business.
So just don't be surprised when you take your car to a place with an inexpensive oil change place and they say it needs expensive work.

I honestly doubt all 4 shocks/struts are blown and need replacement, but it's possible. Does the car ride poorly? Is it bouncy? Can you see any oil around the strut/shocks? Are the tires wearing funny (cupping)?

Even honest shops get their techs to upsale business.
LFIL (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 04:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I know not under factory warranty but this is criteria Lexus uses

Old 02-25-19, 04:28 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by supperfly1
I call bs. Get a second opinion. What are the chances are all done. You do heavy offroading?
Ha, the only thing close to offroading is if my wife runs over the curb leaving a parking lot.
Old 02-25-19, 04:29 PM
Diablo6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MCDavis;10450852]You may want to look at the KYB offerings. Nothing against the 5100s, but they are a bit firmer than most stock setups, and valved more digressive than linear. She may enjoy the KYB.[/QUO

anyone have an idea on how the Ironman shocks might be for stock application?

https://www.metaltech4x4.com/ironman...rut-nitro-gas/
Old 02-25-19, 04:32 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by BradTank
The entire reason shops have oil changes that they basically lose money on is to try an drum up business.
So just don't be surprised when you take your car to a place with an inexpensive oil change place and they say it needs expensive work.

I honestly doubt all 4 shocks/struts are blown and need replacement, but it's possible. Does the car ride poorly? Is it bouncy? Can you see any oil around the strut/shocks? Are the tires wearing funny (cupping)?

Even honest shops get their techs to upsale business.
The oil change isn't necessarily cheap, and the place has a good reputation, but this does sound a bit fishy. To me, it rides fine. My wife, who drives it every day, has been complaining about a thumping noise and vibration in the steering when she stops. Brakes also inspected with no issues. They say the tires are cupping.

Quick Reply: Front Struts and Rear Shocks