GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

AFEPower Intake for GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 07:11 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the pro dry s drop in filter and I LOVE the sound at about 2000-2500 rpm, above that the engine noise and wind noise take over. I have no issues yet for about 14000 miles.
Old 03-06-19, 09:20 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the AFE Pro Dry S drop in filter previously and ran it for about 40k with no issues whatsoever. I recently swapped to one of those ebay intakes with an upgraded cone filter, aka having an open filter element in the engine bay. My truck sounds so badass coupled with my catback exhaust, it really makes me smile. Fuel economy has dropped slightly, most likely due to my heavier foot. People can scream and shout about how the open element in the engine bay is bad for the engine and how the warm air is bad for performance, I personally don't listen to that. I haven't had any negative experiences with that type of setup in my other vehicles, driven over half a million miles so I'll continue to use it for as long as it keeps that smile on my face.

Comparing the new AFE setup, with stock, i can see a slight performance boost since you increase the airflow. There will also be a slight sound difference not only because of the airflow but you delete the resonators the stock tubing had. I'd definitely consider it if I didn't already have a similar setup.
Old 02-19-20, 12:40 PM
ahiskydivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did you end up getting the filter as mentioned above?
The following users liked this post:
craigrpete (06-22-20)
Old 02-20-20, 10:23 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put in one of the filters in the GX. Main reason was just not having to swap out dirty filters. I haven't noticed any difference in "power". I do have on the full AFE intakes on my jeep and LOVE it. Made a huge difference over stock.
Old 02-20-20, 10:33 AM
ahiskydivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smokeyyank
I just put in one of the filters in the GX. Main reason was just not having to swap out dirty filters. I haven't noticed any difference in "power". I do have on the full AFE intakes on my jeep and LOVE it. Made a huge difference over stock.
So on the Jeep you do notice power change?
Old 02-20-20, 12:29 PM
natehack
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Had a unit very similar to this on our 5th Gen 4Runner.

The resonating and noise when pulling a trailer was atrocious; particular engine RPMs would vibrate items in the cabin.

Maybe our smooth V8s would quell the racket, but I just went with the Pro Dry S in the stock box this time.
Old 02-20-20, 03:26 PM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ahiskydivr
So on the Jeep you do notice power change?
Yep. Throttle response and low end improved. Once I added in the bored throttle body 3" exhaust and chips it runs like a raped ape.
Old 06-14-20, 04:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Installation pics

Old 06-15-20, 03:05 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

So this thing basically does nothing but add noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by situman:
natehack (06-15-20), Soap (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 03:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Some MINOR improvements in performance are gained.
Old 06-15-20, 04:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Same story on the LS and SC. OEM intake very well deigned. Best gains are extrude honing the intake manifold and headers.
Old 06-16-20, 08:06 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

My tuned and modified F150 Ecoboost had a carquest paper filter. There is a pressure sensor just after the filter that I can monitor with my OBD reader to tell me what the pressure drop is across the filter. At WOT consuming 38 lb/min of air or ~380 hp at 6500' of elevation, my F150 only sees ~a 5% pressure drop through the stock filter. So if I could find a perfectly unrestricted intake I could potentially gain 5% power(~19 hp), but no intake is perfect. So the reality is maybe 2-3%(9-11 hp)

Meanwhile, the GX is flowing 24 lb/min at this same elevation through a similar size filter. I would be impressed if it had anywhere near a 5% pressure drop.

Easiest way to test this is do a WOT pull and monitor the MAP sensor. See what kind of pressure loss you have in the manifold vs the ambient pressure. Then you might have an idea of what an intake could do for you.
Old 06-16-20, 09:20 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99

Better how? It filters better? It keeps more dirt out of the engine......AND still allows more air to get to engine? If so, then they just found the holy grail of air filters!
You make the filter with a much larger surface area so that the air can pass through at a slower velocity. Thats how.

S&B, AEM, and AFE dry filters are all pretty good filteration wise. The AEM and S&B's are basically even with paper filters in terms of efficiency.
Old 06-16-20, 06:52 PM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a value add post:
I too would like a pony and be sure to throw in the OEM diesel engine while you're at it.
Old 11-19-21, 07:07 PM
therednsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The hard truth about the AFE momentum

Makes a bit more noise (sounds like a V8, but respectable), If you're heavy on the gas pedal you'll be happy until it's time to get gas. If you're easy on the gas pedal, you'll be please (especially on cross country trip). In my humble opinion, the GX doesn't need this, but here's my thoughts and experience on this item.The most notable improvement is while using the cruise control. The GX dosen't drop down a gear and rev up the engine on inclines as often after installation. That extra increase in torque makes for a more comfortable experience. Those with adaptive cruise control will benefit the most here. The price is a bit steep, but I'd buy it all over again (highway driving). As for the "why didn't Toyota/Lexus make it factory" question. TRD has a version for Toyota trucks and the AFE is louder than the stock GX intake. Highly recommend not stretching oil change intervals if installed. I've personally had good results with my AFE intake install over the last 30k miles, but Toyota is notorious for de-tuning their engines to increase reliability. I pushed my 88 Supra's boost until the head gasket and crankshaft bearings required replacement. Then I put it back together and drove it for 3 more years. Botton line the GX isn't a sport car, but the AFE intake has its pros and cons. If you're a responsible driver, good things will come. Change the oil and stay within the vehicles specified limits when towing. FYI; no notable benefits from the AFE throttle spacer. I hope this helps

Quick Reply: AFEPower Intake for GX 460