GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Questions about GX460 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 02:55 PM
Radux
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about GX460 purchase

After owning Toyota's for many years I'm a proud owner of a Ct200h I absolutely fell in love with my Lexus's, quiet ride and interior.
I'm currently looking at buying a used 2014-2017 GX460 with 30k-50k miles and keeping it for a long time. I was hoping to see if anybody out there could answer a couple questions about the reliability of the suspension of the GX, and things to look for when purchasing a used one. What are the chances of suspension failing on a GX? Around 100k miles? Is there any issues I should watch out for? Are there any common problems on the vehicle? The reason I ask is I currently have a Nissan Murano Crossover SUV and it has had sooo many issues from the CVT to the suspension.
Thanks.
Old 03-04-19, 03:22 PM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Radux
After owning Toyota's for many years I'm a proud owner of a Ct200h I absolutely fell in love with my Lexus's, quiet ride and interior.
I'm currently looking at buying a used 2014-2017 GX460 with 30k-50k miles and keeping it for a long time. I was hoping to see if anybody out there could answer a couple questions about the reliability of the suspension of the GX, and things to look for when purchasing a used one. What are the chances of suspension failing on a GX? Around 100k miles? Is there any issues I should watch out for? Are there any common problems on the vehicle? The reason I ask is I currently have a Nissan Murano Crossover SUV and it has had sooo many issues from the CVT to the suspension.
Thanks.
If you're coming from a CT, I'd think the suspension is quite a bit more robust than that. If you're considering the lux package with the air suspension I'm sure others can chime in that here as well.
This is my second gx. Brakes and rotors seems to be the weak spot but not all that bad considering the size and weight of the vehicle. realistic mpg is on fwy is 19-22mpg and 15-17mpg mixed.
some of the gx's are prone to making drive shaft clunk noise on acceleration which is pretty common but not a big issue. automatic rain sensor can be off a bit at times and voice command is pretty much trash.
Like other vehicles and the type of roads that I'm on, I don't expect the struts to last more than 80k-100k miles before needing a replacement but we'll see.

Old 03-04-19, 05:25 PM
Beachy
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just purchased a vehicle with the same year and mileage (2017 GX w premium ). There was only a few to choose from in my area without driving 100+ miles , so I based my choice off of longevity (hopefully ).

The adjustable suspension is nice but working on that when it goes out was enough to shy me away from the luxury model. I got a Nightfall Mica 2017 with 28k on the odo for around 38,900. Not my first color choice but I’m not picky about exterior color as long as the interior is light , black seats here are so sticky and hot . I got under the vehicle and checked all the suspension and frame for any rust or abuse. The vehicle has clearly never been off-road more than a puddle so I took the relatively high mileage to mean that it was someone’s highway truck. There are a few rock bucks and light small scratches but nothing that concerns me as much as a solid powertrain. No leaks anywhere or abnormal noises , also checked for lean.

I don’t have crawl control but that seems to be an easy add on with the console swap if you don’t want to deal with airbag system in the rear.

Good of luck in your search and I hope you find the perfect rig for your needs and wants .
Old 03-05-19, 07:54 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Comparing a Nissan product to a Toyota/Lexus product is not comparable. Nissan is known for their bad CVT transmissions especially the Pathfinder 2016?+ Only thing i would look for when buying a used GX is if there were any accidents and maintenance. Motor and transmission should be good, we just don't know how reliable the 4.6 aluminium block is compared to the 4.7 cast iron block the GX470 had which that motor is bulletproof that has seen a million miles with basic maintenance.
Old 03-05-19, 08:04 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,394 Posts

A 4.6 in a base '10 Sequoia with 967K miles as of May 2018 so probably a million now

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lexu...0436086087502/

Originally Posted by GX763
Comparing a Nissan product to a Toyota/Lexus product is not comparable. Nissan is known for their bad CVT transmissions especially the Pathfinder 2016?+ Only thing i would look for when buying a used GX is if there were any accidents and maintenance. Motor and transmission should be good, we just don't know how reliable the 4.6 aluminium block is compared to the 4.7 cast iron block the GX470 had which that motor is bulletproof that has seen a million miles with basic maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
GX763 (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 08:12 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

IMO: If you just plan to only use the GX on-road and not ever make any changes I wouldn't let the AVS/RAHC scare you away. It's a rarer option to find in the GX these days as it was just on the 10-13 Premium and '14+ luxury models. Failures are few and far between and possibly because it is a scarcer option or more stout parts were used in 460 over 470 where all of them had that option. I don't know. The part that would most likely fail long term... and I am talking probably 150-200K miles or more is the rear air bags. They will eventually wear out. Really cheap parts these days. You can get two bags for less than $150 and the compressors's run around $250 third party but I can't say I have heard someone say they had a compressor failure in a 460. I think 1 or two stories of a bag starting to leak on really high mileage examples . The AVS shocks are around $250/each (3rd party).
Old 03-05-19, 08:37 AM
Radux
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really appreciate all of the feedback it's encouraging to know how many happy and well educated GX owners exist on this site. I've test driven Acura MDX's & Toyota Highlander's and I keep comparing everything else to the GX with it's smooth ride and comfort. If I'm about to drop 30k-40k I want to make a wise purchase. Are there any regrets or thing's I should look for such as the interior: NuLuxe vs. Leather, Premium vs Luxury package?

Last edited by Radux; 03-05-19 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 09:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Here are some areas to check

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-expires.html
GX763 (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 09:11 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate all of the feedback it's encouraging to know how many happy and well educated GX owners exist on this site. I've test driven Acura MDX's & Toyota Highlander's and I keep comparing everything else to the GX with it's smooth ride and comfort. If I'm about to drop 30k-40k I want to make a wise purchase. Are there any regrets or thing's I should look for such as the interior: NuLuxe vs. Leather, Premium vs Luxury package?
I was in your shoes maybe a month ago. Depends on what you want/need. For me, the OEM rear entertainment system was a must for my kids. Fortunately found a LUX 15' with 60k miles for $32k. I had to fly one way for the purchase but I think I got a great deal. From my research, almost half the depreciation is done in 3-4 years in the GX (our 2015 Lux MSRP with the upgrades was about $65-67k before taxes). Take your time to find the right one and the right deal. It's a great vehicle but does drink gas which I don't mind.
Old 03-13-19, 08:03 AM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GX763
I was in your shoes maybe a month ago. Depends on what you want/need. For me, the OEM rear entertainment system was a must for my kids. Fortunately found a LUX 15' with 60k miles for $32k. I had to fly one way for the purchase but I think I got a great deal. From my research, almost half the depreciation is done in 3-4 years in the GX (our 2015 Lux MSRP with the upgrades was about $65-67k before taxes). Take your time to find the right one and the right deal. It's a great vehicle but does drink gas which I don't mind.
I would really appreciate it if you can please share any tips for an out of town purchase. I am looking for a Lux w/driver support pack and most likely will have to fly to get one...
Old 03-13-19, 09:03 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spartan117
I would really appreciate it if you can please share any tips for an out of town purchase. I am looking for a Lux w/driver support pack and most likely will have to fly to get one...
1. Check carfax for any maintenance records
2. Create a lexus account and add the vin to your folder. It'll show any records from a lexus dealership
3. Do a analyst with your current market price and how much it would save you if you had to travel
4. If your analyst states that it's saving you $2k+ or more and worth your time. Talk with a salesman and see what their best price is because you have to fly out. This saved me about 2k by asking up front and I let the salesman know I was serious.
4. If financing, get approved which they should cut you a physical check
5. Once arrived at dealership, look over the vehicle to check for any damages/scratches that was not described in the ad.
6. Check all glass to make sure they are OEM
7. Test drive the vehicle, at least 10-20miles in case a CEL may be triggered.

That's all i can think of now but most importantly, if you feel the vehicle is not right for you, don't be afraid to walk away. Always have a plan B of driving/flying back home empty handed
Spartan117 (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 08:10 AM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

This is very helpful, thank you!

Any recommendation on Pre-Purchase Inspection, take vehicle to Lexus dealership or via LemonSquad, etc.?
Old 03-14-19, 12:38 PM
Lando2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
Curious as to your use case. Are you planning to take the GX off road? If not, I would highly recommend an RX350 instead. Bulletproof reliability, much better fuel economy.
Old 03-14-19, 12:46 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Lando2012
Curious as to your use case. Are you planning to take the GX off road? If not, I would highly recommend an RX350 instead. Bulletproof reliability, much better fuel economy.
Do you want to cut off his ***** too while you at it ?
Old 03-14-19, 12:55 PM
Lando2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99

Do you want to cut off his ***** too while you at it ?
It just literally makes no sense to buy a GX unless you plan to go off the beaten path... like really far off the path. Lots of other, better options with fewer compromises (read: unibody) if you just want a 3 row SUV.

Quick Reply: Questions about GX460 purchase