GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

AVS - Adaptive Variable Suspension discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 08:44 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
That’s your opinion i guess. Sorry, been there, done that with Bilsteins (on stock springs). It’s several steps back in overall ride. Waste of money.
I had a 3rd gen 4runner. People were putting bilsteins on 3rd gens from Tundras or newer 4runners which are valved differently. Bilstein didn't offer a 3rd gen 4runner specific set until 2 years ago.
Old 03-27-19, 10:10 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
I had a 3rd gen 4runner. People were putting bilsteins on 3rd gens from Tundras or newer 4runners which are valved differently. Bilstein didn't offer a 3rd gen 4runner specific set until 2 years ago.
I would not have done that. Whatever i put on, it was for 4runner per Bilstein website. I put them on in 2003.

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-27-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 10:21 AM
tigmd99
Racer

The bottom line is that for springs and shocks, the OEM setup is custom made for that vehicle. Bilsteins, KYB, etc cannot do R&D on every variation of a model...so they throw out a generic size that fits all.

For example, on the 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO, the new TRD PRO rims is 4.2 lbs lighter than 2019 TRD PRO rims. Just from that small weight change, Toyota and FOX had to re-tune the whole suspension system!

And in my 2002 4runner, Toyota had different shocks depending on stock tire size that your 4runner came with from factory!

My 2010 Prius had different shocks depending on what rims came with the car.

Nothing aftermarket will come close to that level of customization for your vehicle. So, it is overly simplistic to say that throw on some Bilsteins on your GX and you are guaranteed better everything. That frankly is bad advice IMHO.

Now, if you change the WHOLE suspension, then that is another story. No argument from me.

Anyways, sorry for going off-topic.
The following users liked this post:
ballistice (03-13-22)
Old 03-27-19, 11:04 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

The bottom line is that for springs and shocks, the OEM setup is custom made for that vehicle. Bilsteins, KYB, etc cannot do R&D on every variation of a model...so they throw out a generic size that fits all.

For example, on the 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO, the new TRD PRO rims is 4.2 lbs lighter than 2019 TRD PRO rims. Just from that small weight change, Toyota and FOX had to re-tune the whole suspension system!

And in my 2002 4runner, Toyota had different shocks depending on stock tire size that your 4runner came with from factory!

My 2010 Prius had different shocks depending on what rims came with the car.

Nothing aftermarket will come close to that level of customization for your vehicle. So, it is overly simplistic to say that throw on some Bilsteins on your GX and you are guaranteed better everything. That frankly is bad advice IMHO.

Now, if you change the WHOLE suspension, then that is another story. No argument from me.

Anyways, sorry for going off-topic.
Lexus R&D is limited to targeting Soccer Moms who love marshmallow handling in the interest of comfort ... at the expense of stability, control and handling. All about priority. Yes, there are shock-spring setups that are vastly better than stock ... for less than the ridiculous OEM original cost or for replacement, which is my original point.
Old 03-27-19, 02:20 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Lexus R&D is limited to targeting Soccer Moms who love marshmallow handling in the interest of comfort ... at the expense of stability, control and handling. All about priority. Yes, there are shock-spring setups that are vastly better than stock ... for less than the ridiculous OEM original cost or for replacement, which is my original point.
Yeah, you’re right...Bilsteins has done more R&D than Lexus/Toyota regarding handling, control, safety, and stability...just because Lexus only cares about soft ride. And who knew?! Just changing to Bilsteins fixes all that!! Shock-spring setups even better! Those 3rd parties do even more R&D per ASE! Heck, forget anti-roll bars, forget weight distribution, forget tires, forget COG, forget unsprung weight, forget all that and more (beyond my small brain)......get shocks to fix all ills...even world hunger!

And of course, when you talk big and 3rd party stuff and how much better it is...you get this: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...ailure-x2.html

Probably just fake news...ain’t all that bad...just use a mallet to knock it back straight!

Last edited by tigmd99; 03-27-19 at 02:26 PM.
User21c (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 02:57 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Yeah, you’re right...Bilsteins has done more R&D than Lexus/Toyota regarding handling, control, safety, and stability...just because Lexus only cares about soft ride. And who knew?! Just changing to Bilsteins fixes all that!! Shock-spring setups even better! Those 3rd parties do even more R&D per ASE! Heck, forget anti-roll bars, forget weight distribution, forget tires, forget COG, forget unsprung weight, forget all that and more (beyond my small brain)......get shocks to fix all ills...even world hunger!

And of course, when you talk big and 3rd party stuff and how much better it is...you get this: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...ailure-x2.html

Probably just fake news...ain’t all that bad...just use a mallet to knock it back straight!
Yeah ... so there !!! ... also better use Lexus/Toyota 0w-20 oil, or your GX460 engine will explode.
Old 03-27-19, 02:59 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Yeah ... so there !!! ... also better use Lexus/Toyota 0w-20 oil, or your GX460 engine will explode.
Thanks for the tip ASE guy.
Old 03-28-19, 03:27 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
stability, control and handling.

I wouldnt say that control was sacrificed for comfort. this all depends on the road or ground, the speed, etc. there are certain instances where the aftermarkets perform better, but this is not in all cases, and most likely not even in the majority of cases when reviewed for multiple terrains and environments. on an older vehicle, i had an electronic valve inline with the hydraulic suspension along with a parker needle valve on the hose for on the move adjustment. one setting better for higher speed on a flatter road, another better for slower bumpy conditions, another for wavy rolling hill type roads.

yes, there are less expensive alternatives that can meet or exceed the OEM performance for the price, but usually in a more limited use scenario. my uses are not so varied, I could be ok with a cheaper alternative.
some people actually like bumpy rides, they enjoy more of a truck experience. I bought the GX to get away from that.
Old 05-01-19, 02:31 PM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the best thread and explanation I have found anywhere regarding Lexus' Adaptive Variable Suspension. There is almost no technical information about this system other than a cryptic 44 second video on YouTube and smattering of comments here and there. Meanwhile, playing with the switch is not informative unless you give yourself some time to experience the settings, hopefully on the same stretches of road.

I have experimented extensively with the Comfort-Normal-Sport settings and find myself always wanting to leave it in Sport mode for city driving in speed bump-happy Portland, OR. Comfort mode gives me lots of fluffy bounce and Normal feels biased towards the Comfort. In fact, I don't find Comfort mode to be all that comfortable in general; frankly, it feels like I am driving grandpa's old Buick from the 50's. I get little road feel, and the feel I do get is more squishy than I like. Normal mode is nice on the highway, but not much nicer than Sport.

I have seen a couple of reviews that suggest the Normal mode will engage Sport mode damping levels under certain conditions. However, I cannot find anything from Lexus to back up this claim. I wonder if the reviewers may be conflating KDDS with AVS. Shocks are bound to affect body roll, so these systems must play together whether they want to or not. I'd be delighted to learn more from someone who knows more.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadDawg:
Acrad (05-01-19), Craigyyy (05-02-19)
Old 05-01-19, 02:41 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by RoadDawg
This is the best thread and explanation I have found anywhere regarding Lexus' Adaptive Variable Suspension. There is almost no technical information about this system other than a cryptic 44 second video on YouTube and smattering of comments here and there. Meanwhile, playing with the switch is not informative unless you give yourself some time to experience the settings, hopefully on the same stretches of road.

I have experimented extensively with the Comfort-Normal-Sport settings and find myself always wanting to leave it in Sport mode for city driving in speed bump-happy Portland, OR. Comfort mode gives me lots of fluffy bounce and Normal feels biased towards the Comfort. In fact, I don't find Comfort mode to be all that comfortable in general; frankly, it feels like I am driving grandpa's old Buick from the 50's. I get little road feel, and the feel I do get is more squishy than I like. Normal mode is nice on the highway, but not much nicer than Sport.

I have seen a couple of reviews that suggest the Normal mode will engage Sport mode damping levels under certain conditions. However, I cannot find anything from Lexus to back up this claim. I wonder if the reviewers may be conflating KDDS with AVS. Shocks are bound to affect body roll, so these systems must play together whether they want to or not. I'd be delighted to learn more from someone who knows more.
I read that, at least in the LS with adaptive suspension and pre-collision, the suspension will automatically switch to SPORT when computer thinks that a collision is imminent or that it thinks that evasive maneuvers are needed. That i know is fact for the LS. Does that apply to our GX?? I don’t know. But for me, i just leave it in NORMAL mode and not bother thinking about it since the ride is perfect for my butt.
Old 05-01-19, 02:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I will have to look back but I read somewhere... it could have been in the FSM that shocks are supposed to tighten up in an emergency stop situation..

This in effect would be a default to Sport. I'll have to get back to you on this though. This could possibly be tested with OBD Fusion/Link or Techstream on safe road course.

Here are available settings that can be monitored

tigmd99 (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 03:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

If I get some time I will look at this this weekend... curious how this changes in a panic stop..

Old 05-01-19, 04:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

I don’t recall the solution for this and read a few searches with no answer.

Old 05-01-19, 04:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

They reprogrammed the stability control ECU.

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
John00 (05-01-19), tecman (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 05:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Thread is a bit sidetracked here but I ran across this and it’s pretty funny, poor video quality.

Quick Reply: AVS - Adaptive Variable Suspension discussion