GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

RX 350 or GX 460 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 05:26 AM
alruner
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question RX 350 or GX 460 ?

I currently own a 2012 RX 350 that I purchased new.. has 56k on it.. I am thinking about replacing it with a GX.
The RX is very nice, but ... want to consider alternative options..

Any experienced GX owners or RX/GX - GX/RX converts have any advice?

Al
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (04-18-23)
Old 03-27-19, 05:58 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m not a past or current RX owner. My Mom had a 400H for awhile; and while trying to decide on what car to replace our 4Runner with we drove a 15’ 350 right after a 15’ GX. And, it’s no comparison. Depending on what you’re looking for. The GX is roomier, quieter, taller (for head room) and felt like it was put together better. YMMV

These are just the thoughts and opinions of two people.
Richyb1 (11-20-21)
Old 03-27-19, 06:26 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by alruner
I currently own a 2012 RX 350 that I purchased new.. has 56k on it.. I am thinking about replacing it with a GX.
The RX is very nice, but ... want to consider alternative options..

Any experienced GX owners or RX/GX - GX/RX converts have any advice?

Al
I have owner RX in the past, and frankly, RX/GX will be difficult to compare as they are representing two totally different kind of vehicles. It really come down two what you want your vehicle to do for you.

It is a really a compare between car and truck. RX is build on the same platform of ES/Camery, a so call crossover vehicle, which gives you a taller appearance, good ride quality, and better handling in marginal weather and road condition, and better fuel economy. GX, however, is a traditional body on frame, go anywhere true SUV. With V8 power, it can take you to the venture that you may have dreamed for. It is basically a Toyota LC and has the highest recognition around world for it liability and capability. The right quality will be lesser than RX (subjective) and don't expecting any high mpg by today's standard.

So the bottom line is the question for yourself, what do you really want the vehicle be able to do for you....... Lexus/Toyota quality goes well for both. But if you really want to be picky, GX is manufactured in Japan, and RX is made in both Canada and Mexico,
Old 03-27-19, 07:28 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Agree with the previous post ... car or truck based platform? Apples and Oranges in terms of choice.
Old 03-27-19, 07:36 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got both. You only mention "nice" so it is difficult to determine what you want from the vehicle. I can tell you the GX is a much "nicer" place to spend time. Smoother, much quieter, more insulated, more creature comforts, and less hard plastic near the occupants (like flanking the center tunnel: RX is hard plastic & GX is padded, stitched leather or NuLuxe).

What do you want to know?
Old 03-27-19, 08:42 AM
rmason
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

other than the already mentioned

rx parks better
rx drives lighter
rx stops faster...or atleast it feels like it
rx feels sportier...less head room or it feels like it

gx is larger by a bit on the inside as well as outside
gx drives like a truck and feels like one
gx v8 is butter smooth
gx has more head room
gx feels heavier and is more thirsty

both vehicles feel adequately powered for their size and both are equally quiet on the road.
fully loaded, I would pick the gx...any towing, I would pick the gx.
long drives, I would pick the gx

They are both very well designed vehicles in my opinion and really like them both.
Old 03-27-19, 09:14 AM
alruner
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you to all who replied.. your input is valuable.

Al
Old 03-27-19, 09:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I much prefer the GX over any crossovers, including the RX. The GX is heads and should above the RX in every measure except for wind noise and over bad broken pavement. The wind noise, while not intrusive, is noticeable simply because it is a house on wheels with elephant ears for side mirrors. However, you will find that road noise is tons quieter on the GX. I will choose a bit of wind noise over road noise. Wind noise is soothing, road and tire noise is just irritating and tiring.

Both the GX and RX are on old platforms ready to be replaces. The difference is the GX has a frame to give it extra strength and solidity that the RX lacks. There will be zero body flex on the GX where even the LS460 was noticeable when there's torsional stress being applied like say entering a gas station at an angle. The GX will feel a bit jittery on broken pavement, but its the well damped kind of jittery and over large potholes, the GX will dampen it well. The RX will just crash into it when it runs out of suspension travel and hits its bump stops.

Regardless of what we say, just go test drive both.
Old 03-27-19, 12:30 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

As a former 2012 RX owner I can chime in here. I owned it for 5 1/2 years. I loved that vehicle but longed for my old Tacoma but couldn't get rid of the SUV passenger capacity nor the Lexus experience vs. Toyota (or others). I loved the truck experience with my Taco as well as the smoother ride of the crossover in the RX. But I wanted something in between... and frankly larger.

In comes the GX. While an older design it met the SUV requirements, body on frame construction, it has the bonus of full-time 4wd, and larger cargo capacity PLUS the third row (limits the cargo room dramatically). While it doesn't have the sleakness of the RX (both inside and out) it provide me the experience I was looking for in a bof SUV and the tech, while not the latest, is on par with the RX from my experience.

What do I miss about the RX? Ummm... smoother ride, an extra few mpg's, and the lack of car payment after I paid it off

I already pointed out what I like about the GX. I'll drive this one for quite a while longer than the RX

Hope this helps. Any questions, PM me.
alruner (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 12:47 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I have both, 2015 gx460 and 2017 RX350. If you don't ever tow or offroad then RX350, especially in Fsport trim. With 255/55/20 or 265/50/20 wheels tires combo, it looks awesome.

The RX350 is much cheaper to own as well.
Old 03-27-19, 12:55 PM
KevininSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree with everything said here having owned both. The build quality in the GX is amazing. Less tech gadgetry, but all of the basics are rock solid and the V8 is great except for gas mileage. However... You did post this question in the GX forum. To hear the other side, you may want to solicit input in the RX forums too if you haven't already.
Old 03-27-19, 12:55 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I have both, 2015 gx460 and 2017 RX350. If you don't ever tow or offroad then RX350, especially in Fsport trim. With 255/55/20 or 265/50/20 wheels tires combo, it looks awesome.

The RX350 is much cheaper to own as well.
This is true-ish. it doesn't appear there would be any off-rading in the OP's question. But yes. The RX was cheaper to own in the fact is is a crossover and you can get cheaper tires (non-OEN in my case) and the RX requires a bit less of oil. Other than that, if you are driving the GX as a DD then the cost of ownership is negligible. Unless your SO slams on the throttle all the time (like mine) and then fuel economy does come into play.

I use my GX as a DD and am suffering -2mpg vs. the RX in the same commmute and driving style. Add it up when you have fuel at $4/gal like it was vs. now in my neck of the woods that can make a larger difference. But overall I haven't seen a huge differential between the two. I also do not take it to the dealer for servicing and THAT is a huge savings from both models as well as my former ES and my current ct200h that my wife uses (unless she is driving the GX which she likes better )
alruner (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 04:29 PM
AMFERS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can’t go wrong with either. If you want a more car like vehicle, then go with that RX. if you want a more rugged truck like vehicle, then go with the GX.
Old 03-27-19, 07:05 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

GX is more impressive, from a size standpoint. Bigger is better, but still can park OK. Looks like the size of a real SUV, not some teenage girls toy.
There's an RX at every corner. Oh look, another RX. -or- dang, look at that, a GX. Taste, class and functionality.
If you're going to have a Lexus SUV, there's really only 2 choices, and RX isn't one of them. if you even consider that in the realm of SUV.

OK maybe a bit harsh. but still, GX has the status also. GX you made it man, RX you still on the way.
Old 03-29-19, 08:19 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

We actually have both RX and GX. I used to drive a GS 350 before my GX. Aside from the points made above, it also matters what your driving style is like. RX vs GX is a very different driving experience, and you may prefer quick and nimble over solid and smooth or vice versa.

Quick Reply: RX 350 or GX 460 ?