GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat Ventilation / Cooler Questions & Comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 07:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 598 Posts

Yeah, no true AC for ventilated unless something changed for 2022.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-comments.html
Old 04-22-22, 07:20 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

After I posted this topic I did a search and found out the sad truth that the ventilated seats are inadequate. The 2008 RX 350 I traded in only had heated front seats so I am used to not having this option but when researching the GX options I thought the ventilated seats would be nice during the summer. Also I was under the impression that the ventilated seats would be AC air but now know it's just a fan moving ambient air and apparently very weakly. It would be nice for Lexus to correct this issue in their future automobiles.
The following users liked this post:
rbyrd02 (04-26-22)
Old 04-24-22, 08:39 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
After I posted this topic I did a search and found out the sad truth that the ventilated seats are inadequate. The 2008 RX 350 I traded in only had heated front seats so I am used to not having this option but when researching the GX options I thought the ventilated seats would be nice during the summer. Also I was under the impression that the ventilated seats would be AC air but now know it's just a fan moving ambient air and apparently very weakly. It would be nice for Lexus to correct this issue in their future automobiles.
Turn AC on high and direct at least some of the air to foot well. I find that that helps pull cooler air into the seat fan.
MrTorgue (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 10:56 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAI
Turn AC on high and direct at least some of the air to foot well. I find that that helps pull cooler air into the seat fan.
^ This. Closing the dash vents a little also seems to help.
Old 04-24-22, 12:52 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I never use the ventilated seats feature ( even in TX heat ) .. feels, to me, kinda weird ( like my a$$ is wet lol )
Old 04-24-22, 05:15 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

What I’ve found works best is to turn the rear ac on cold as possible and leave the front on auto ac and put the seat on coolest setting, your *** will get cold real quick (depending on fabric you’re wearing …. ) the ventilated seats work just fine imo
Old 04-25-22, 10:58 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a hunch (and this is purely a guess based on my experience) that the fan used in the 4Runner, which is pretty noisy when on high but works very well) was too loud for the Lexus brand so they found a different, more quiet fan, to use and it just does not operate as effectively as the one used in the 4Runner. Again this is just a hunch, but you can barely hear the fan on the Lexus GX and you can REALLY hear the fan on the 4Runner (when on High).
Old 08-15-23, 09:03 PM
FOGeologist
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Think my driver's cooling seat may not be working

Having just gotten my '17 a week ago, I hadn't had a passenger in my seat yet (wife was in Reno on a business trip). Tonight I turned off her seat cooler and I noticed a fan-sound turning off.

I have never noticed this on my seat, and frankly it doesn't seem to get cool in any identifiable way.

Where to begin? Fuses? Why would one blow unless there was more trouble somewhere else in the seat? Bad switch? How to test it?

I'll check the hot side tomorrow on the way to work. And I'll look under the seat to see if a wire came loose.
Old 08-16-23, 03:59 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you hear the fan motor running?

The seat back is clipped on, if you remove it you can access the fan. The clips break easier so have some spares handy. Here is a Tech Tip on seat back installation, I assume a 2017 is still applicable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10132324-9999.pdf (188.9 KB, 109 views)
FOGeologist (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 04:59 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Having just gotten my '17 a week ago, I hadn't had a passenger in my seat yet (wife was in Reno on a business trip). Tonight I turned off her seat cooler and I noticed a fan-sound turning off.

I have never noticed this on my seat, and frankly it doesn't seem to get cool in any identifiable way.

Where to begin? Fuses? Why would one blow unless there was more trouble somewhere else in the seat? Bad switch? How to test it?

I'll check the hot side tomorrow on the way to work. And I'll look under the seat to see if a wire came loose.
Just be aware, the “cooling” term is a bit misleading. It is just a fan that move limited air within seat, therefore, if your cabin filled with hot air, the seat temp is not going to be any lower than the cabin temp. It has nothing to do, nor any part of function like A/C.

Last edited by hzhao; 08-16-23 at 08:36 AM.
FOGeologist (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 07:20 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Also, i'll note, the fan is crazy weak in the GX, in comparison the 4Runner we have sucks air out pretty aggressively, however the similar seat, and fan arrangement in the GX is less than half as powerful. the GX fan, unsurprisingly, is much much quieter though.
FOGeologist (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 09:07 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by schwein
Also, i'll note, the fan is crazy weak in the GX, in comparison the 4Runner we have sucks air out pretty aggressively, however the similar seat, and fan arrangement in the GX is less than half as powerful. the GX fan, unsurprisingly, is much much quieter though.
Biggest issue is the tiny port the air comes out of in the seat is more at the front rather the middle of the seat. That and lack of CFM's.
Old 08-16-23, 10:33 AM
FOGeologist
Driver

I’ll go and evaluate it much more closely when I get into the truck this afternoon at work.

I guess it’s possible the fan may be out or I just haven’t evaluated the problem well enough to understand it - or even if there is a problem yet.
Old 08-16-23, 02:39 PM
FOGeologist
Driver

Default <rolleyes>

My seat is working fine.

Apparently something else of mine ISN’T working fine - my brain.

🙄
Old 08-16-23, 03:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Harvested pictures from everywhere

Fan pic comparison 10-13 & 14+

Seat fan of a 10-13 model

I haven't had enough time to test but using 3D print from here.

This is where the air comes up at the seat and connects to the foam

Quick Reply: Seat Ventilation / Cooler Questions & Comments