GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 09:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,033 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by CTML
I think that's exactly right - they've recharged it every year for the previous owner to kick the can down the road.

I will call in tomorrow to confirm what work they've done to resolve the A/C - I guess for them to do a proper job and truly resolve the issue they will have to take out the dash and investigate the evaporator which I feel is highly unlikely what they will actually do...
Leakage is almost invariably on the high (pressure) side of the system ... so we would fully charge the system, and then run the high side close to maximum pressure .. and use an electronic "sniffer" probe to detect freon being present ... indicating a leak. The challenge is access under the dash (assuming that is the leak location) to "sniff" for potential leak locations. Given the odor (assuming not musty) ... an under the dash leak is highly probable (and the reason why it was not fixed in the past).

Last edited by ASE; 07-15-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 05:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

It has a leak. It's a closed system, it doesn't just evaporate with time. I would not buy that vehicle, unless you're prepared to replace the A/C.
Old 07-16-20, 08:02 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
It has a leak. It's a closed system, it doesn't just evaporate with time. I would not buy that vehicle, unless you're prepared to replace the A/C.
A leak does not require replacing the A/C ... it requires repairing the leak ... with the challenge being finding the leak which takes labor hours to discover the leak location. The fix may be as superficial as a leaking connector, but based on location may require “dash surgery” for access.
Old 07-16-20, 09:03 AM
ASE
Pole Position

The danger here is that the seller may have the attitude "Hey, the AC works now ... so it's fixed" ... maybe the case, but for how long ? You have no way of knowing if the leak has been fixed ... and there is a leak without question. Yes, you can insist that they fix the leak ... and they can tell you that they fixed the leak ... but with a full freon charge, you will have no way to verify that this is in fact the case until at a later date when you will have no recourse. So the long-short ... if you proceed, you need to get in writing a guarantee that ANY failure of the AC system to provide cooling specifically due to freon loss for a period of xx-months will be fixed free of charge (with a loaner car).

Last edited by ASE; 07-16-20 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-16-20, 10:39 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
The danger here is that the seller may have the attitude "Hey, the AC works now ... so it's fixed" ... maybe the case, but for how long ? You have no way of knowing if the leak has been fixed ... and there is a leak without question. Yes, you can insist that they fix the leak ... and they can tell you that they fixed the leak ... but with a full freon charge, you will have no way to verify that this is in fact the case until at a later date when you will have no recourse. So the long-short ... if you proceed, you need to get in writing a guarantee that ANY failure of the AC system to provide cooling specifically due to freon loss for a period of xx-months will be fixed free of charge (with a loaner car).
Either way unless this is a one off GX, its time to move on to the next GX on the market. Those service history records would deter me away. No one (and I assume the dealer as well) wants to perform dash surgery on a GX they just bought.
Old 07-16-20, 12:00 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 605 Likes on 366 Posts

the price would have to be below kbb "fair" trade in value for me to consider it... too much risk and too many used GX's to pick from to consider vehicles with suspect maintenance history.
Old 07-16-20, 12:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
the price would have to be below kbb "fair" trade in value for me to consider it... too much risk and too many used GX's to pick from to consider vehicles with suspect maintenance history.
Agree ... deduct the price of replacing the evaporator coil (and both hoses) from the purchase price ... and call it even given that would be a worst case scenario ... but better to move on given there are too many GX460's out there to inherit a potential nightmare.
Old 07-16-20, 03:11 PM
CTML
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, very insightful advice here - the dealer got back to me today and as expected, he recharged the system and it blows ice cold. I mentioned my concern of an unfixed leak and potential for ongoing issues and he seemed happy to run this by the techs tomorrow so we'll see. But as it stands, it doesn't make sense to take the risk on the car - it is a $27k car with 55k miles so while that is good value, its not worth the future hassle.
Old 07-16-20, 04:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

There are also refrigerant and heater lines that go back to the 3rd zone evaporator & heater core (if equipped)
Old 08-02-20, 03:26 AM
poonkodiv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues

Hi

I have owned a GX 460 since 2015 - 4.6l gasoline .
In the last 6 months, I have 2 issues with AC where they had to replace the blower and once the entire unit .
I am worried as the car just ran out of warranty,

Anything i need to check for or is this any common issue elsewhere
I live in UAE , where the AC is used almost constantly

Old 08-02-20, 04:32 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

AC issues aren't common but here was a member who replaced the AC compressor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html

I've heard of a few blower motors and a few low charge scenarios elsewhere but nothing else.

There is a built in diagnostics if you ever need it as well

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eshooting.html
Old 08-02-20, 12:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Just for the record, another compressor here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...g-hot-air.html
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-02-20)
Old 08-03-20, 04:53 AM
JamesF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I was going crazy with my new to me 2012. new blower now on the way. Thanks for the info!
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 08:11 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

One thing to check is the cabin air filter first before you swap out the fan.

A dealer swapped out the filter on my moms RX years ago and it made a buzzing noise. I pulled out the filter, reseated it and the noise went away. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was (filter in wrong, cover not snapped in correctly, or what, but it fixed it. The dealer initially opined that the fan was bad.
Old 08-03-20, 09:01 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Are you noticing obvious changes in temperature adjustment as well as all vent modes?

Need to rule out you don't have a HVAC servo that needs to be replaced as well.

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info