GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 08:20 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2023 GX460 model. I noticed when I set the system to “auto” the climate control refuses to turn on the windshield defogger. I have to manually turn it on or windshield and side windows fog up beyond hope. When I turn the defogger manually the temp and fan speed change, so I find myself turning it manually on/off every few minutes which got annoying fast in our 1hr road-trip yesterday.

Does this happen to anyone?
Old 01-16-23, 08:58 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes you have to manually turn on defrost as it does not know if there is fog on the windshield., the system then changes the configuration to high fan speed, recirculated air (which does increase the noise inside), and AC on if the temp is not too cold. This configuration allows for the quickest defogging of the window (fast moving, dehumidified air). I leave my climate control in Auto at a set temperature (usually 20C) and let the system look after fan speed, if I need to defog I push the defog button on and as soon as the window is clear push the button off, this returns the system to the auto mode.
Old 01-16-23, 09:01 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IanG
Yes you have to manually turn on defrost as it does not know if there is fog on the windshield., the system then changes the configuration to high fan speed, recirculated air (which does increase the noise inside), and AC on if the temp is not too cold. This configuration allows for the quickest defogging of the window (fast moving, dehumidified air). I leave my climate control in Auto at a set temperature (usually 20C) and let the system look after fan speed, if I need to defog I push the defog button on and as soon as the window is clear push the button off, this returns the system to the auto mode.
seriously? So this system doesn’t have a humidity sensor or something like that ? Every vehicle I’ve ever owned has correctly controlled the defogger when needed.

is this the same experience for others ?

edit:
I had an issue with my GX where many of the settings were off /set to the wrong default. things like the key fob being disabled, and confirmation beeps when doors are locked/unlocked. I had to take it to the dealership to fix the issue and sat down with the manager and the techstream and changed back everything we could see was not in default. however, there were many things we didn’t know what the default should be.

I saw there’s a techstream setting to enable defogger in “auto” mode. I wonder if that was left OFF

Last edited by TheLastV8; 01-16-23 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 10:40 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

There are some TS related HVAC changes possible

Old 01-16-23, 11:00 AM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad
There are some TS related HVAC changes possible

that exactly. The Front/Def Auto Mode option is the one I have my eye on. I wonder if that one was left off when we were setting options back to default.

I bought a 2.0.4 TS cable last night from aliexpress. I guess I’ll know a month from now.

@Acrad does this works for you? Does it engage the defogger when it needs to automatically when in Auto mode?
Old 01-16-23, 04:49 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

TBH…. I changed this so long ago I haven’t thought about it for a while. Let me check it this week.. I am pretty sure it does accomplish what you need though.

Old 01-17-23, 07:58 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Upper vents blowing cold in moderate temps

'23 GX Premium Plus. Heat and AC work great when it's hot or cold outside. In moderate temps - around 70* ambient - the air from the dash vents is way too cold when in auto mode. Is there any way to get Auto to blow the same temp from both floor and dash vents?

Mark
Old 01-18-23, 06:13 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll be following this. My 2019 has always done the same thing. My sister's 2017 is the same way, so I think this is probably normal. I just divert or close the offending vents.
Old 01-18-23, 01:42 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

70 in the winter seems too low, im assuming youre in colorado based on your location setting.

also is the re circulation set to bring in outside air or cabin?
Old 01-18-23, 02:10 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
70 in the winter seems too low, im assuming youre in colorado based on your location setting.

also is the re circulation set to bring in outside air or cabin?
I'm in FL at the moment, but it behaved the same way in CO and all points in between. Recirc is set to auto.

Mark
Old 01-20-23, 02:02 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

TBH…. I changed this so long ago I haven’t thought about it for a while. Let me check it this week.. I am pretty sure it does accomplish what you need though.
hey, just wondered if you had a chance to look at your TS settings for this.
Old 01-22-23, 01:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm gonna change some of my settings up and observe differences over next few weeks. Yellow highlight are customizations I made.

Old 01-22-23, 02:03 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

I'm gonna change some of my settings up and observe differences over next few weeks. Yellow highlight are customizations I made.

awesome. Thanks.
Do you know what that Foot/Def auto mode setting does?

you have it set to ON. That’s the one I am theorizing I may have OFF.
Old 01-22-23, 02:13 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Description of item shows up at bottom on the highlighted green

Old 01-22-23, 02:19 PM
TheLastV8
Pit Crew

Description of item shows up at bottom on the highlighted green

I think that’s what I may have OFF. My issue is that my windows and windshield fog up if I just leave my climate control in AUTO mode. My expectation is that I don’t have to engage the defogger ON/OFF manually every few minutes. The interior gets really cold with defogger ON so I find myself switching the windshield defogger back and forth every few minutes.

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info