GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 07:37 PM
patdugan49
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac stops and starts

2010 gx460 ac will work fine, freon ok,blows air 40 degrees f, while going and cooling ac starts blowing warm air, will come back on usually
stops at log light, and then starts
Again friend said magnetic clutch trouble
Please give coments
Old 07-20-23, 07:48 PM
patdugan49
6th Gear

Default Ac goes off but compressor working air comes out 40 deg f

Ac works fine driving along then air heats up then goes back to 40 deg f
someone said clutch trouble freon ok
Old 07-25-23, 01:03 PM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High pitch sound

2012 GX 460. Hearing a high pitch sound from front passenger side. Especially down toward bottom of floorboard. Changed the interior filter but still hear it. The higher the a/c fan the louder the sound. Any suggestions? I can only turn the radio up so loud😀
Old 07-27-23, 04:18 PM
smithpr2
Driver School Candidate

Default Whining, high pitch sound from interior

I posted but can’t find my post. When I have the a/c on I hear a high pitch whining sound. The higher the air level the louder it is. When I turn off the air it goes away. I have a 2012 GX460. The noise was driving me nuts. My husband changed the interior air filter but it it didn’t solve the problem. But the filter did need changing.
Solution: the a/c blower motor under the passenger side underneath the interior air filter was the next thing we replaced. My husband ordered the part from Amazon for $79. He undid the cover from the front passenger side on the inside and replaced the motor. Took about an hour and a half to take old one out and put new one in. Front screws were easy but the back was a little awkward to get to. But it worked! No more whiny high pitch sounds!
Old 07-28-23, 06:47 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 713 Posts

Nice to hear ... most modern vehicles require major dash surgery to replace the blower motor ... where many shops will not take on the complexity ... a mechanic busting yoga moves for hours of frustration.
Old 07-30-23, 10:22 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
Default How do you synch a key to remember climate control settings?

How do you program a key to a particular climate control setting?

A problem I have been fighting with (and even took to my dealer when it was under warranty, thinking something was wrong, but they gave all sorts of crazy answers that were wrong ) is I will get in my (wife's) GX and the AC fan speed will be at 1. Basically off. Despite the car previously being set at say a normal AC setting for the summer. Just frustrating having to manually set it. I thought it was some weird intermittent problem.

I'm thinking now it has to do with "my" key set.

I just found out that some GX's, the AC is programmed to the key. All these years, I never knew this. I simply thought the seats were programmable. That might very well be my problem. Mine in a 2017.

I can't seem to find if this is indeed the case and how to "set" the climate to a key set.

Any guides or instructions?
Old 07-30-23, 11:27 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

It’s in the owner’s manual. For what I remember (I could be missing a step or two), you take your key in the GX, close all the door. Hold either lock or unlock button on the door panel for 5 second while turning the start button to ACC. Then release button, you should notice the door will lock then unlock itself. That confirms the program is successful. Now when you unlock the GX from driver side with only your key fob, it will move the seats to your set position and set A/C to the setting when you shut off the car when the key is with you in the car.
Old 08-28-23, 05:22 PM
tk8lm6
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default AC Pressure Switch/AC Pressure Sensor

This post might be a little wordy.

After a weird possibly moisture-related electrical gremlin, I also noticed that my AC was blowing warm air. I have the ODB2 device and app and it gave me code B1423 which, according to other documentation in this thread, is most likely either a leak or a bad AC Pressure SENSOR. This is listed, as near as I can tell, on https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/ as Part Number: 88719-33020, Name: "Sensor, Air Conditioner Pressure", Other name: "Pressure Sensor, Pressure Switch". It was listed at like $213 (US) Looked easy enough to replace but I figured it would require an AC system recharge, so I was going to leave it to the professionals.

Took the GX to the Toyota dealership/service center in Tysons, VA. Told them that the AC was down, told him the code I got, and told them that it is most likely that Sensor (or apparently call it, a "switch". I knew I was going to get a high quote but I figured I'd pay a little extra for the Toyota peace of mind or whatever. $175 diagnostic fee, but it would go toward the repair so ... ok.

Advisor called me up and said I was right, it was the AC Pressure Sensor. Clickety clack ... the cost to replace that is <checks computer screen> $2,000 (US). I had to laugh. I said "that sounds a little high, the part itself is less than $300 and it is literally the most easily accessible sensor on the whole vehicle, so, what, are you charging me an extra 1200 for the AC recharge?" He said well, you can't just replace the sensor, you have to replace the entire high pressure line (I believe this is a blatant lie) and also, this new refrigerant is really expensive." He did not show me an itemized breakdown but after this I was not about to let them work on the car to replace so much as a valve stem cover.

I took the truck straight to another mechanic nearby that used to work on my Volvos when I used to drive them. Solid shop. Explained the issue. They quoted me less than $550 for the job. Much more in line with my expectation and didn't make me feel like a rube. They got the part and did the job. Seems to work just fine. I did notice on the invoice, they listed a different part number for the "AC Pressure Sensor". In fact they called it an "AC Pressure Switch" and listed the part number as 88719-40020 (Sensor, Air Conditioner) ... but this one lists as fitting "Lexus 2001 - 2011" and the fit checker said it would NOT fit my 2018.

So that is confusing. But they replaced it and it works. Maybe the dealership was quoting me a more elaborate by-the-book repair but 2k the line about replacing the whole line and the expensive refrigerant just felt insultingly false.

The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (09-08-23)
Old 08-29-23, 09:25 AM
LI Lexus
Driver

2014 GX luxury....

Yesterday front zone AC or heat was not blowing. Rear overhead vents were. today A/C blowing ICE COLD out the front vents

Seems as if my 3 zone is "stuck" on. If I touch it on the screen nothing happens, it just stays illuminated

Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-23, 08:19 AM
hilcountry
7th Gear

Default 2015 GX 460- Still clicking after replacing AC fan motor

Originally Posted by smithpr2
I posted but can’t find my post. When I have the a/c on I hear a high pitch whining sound. The higher the air level the louder it is. When I turn off the air it goes away. I have a 2012 GX460. The noise was driving me nuts. My husband changed the interior air filter but it it didn’t solve the problem. But the filter did need changing.
Solution: the a/c blower motor under the passenger side underneath the interior air filter was the next thing we replaced. My husband ordered the part from Amazon for $79. He undid the cover from the front passenger side on the inside and replaced the motor. Took about an hour and a half to take old one out and put new one in. Front screws were easy but the back was a little awkward to get to. But it worked! No more whiny high pitch sounds!
I’m having the same issue. Replaced the cabin filter and installed a new AC fan blower motor. The clicking is less noticeable, but still consistent and present… ugh.

What should I try next?
Old 08-30-23, 12:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,403 Posts

@hilcountry Have you checked for any codes?

Post #147 in this same thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10484998

Video

Last edited by Acrad; 08-30-23 at 12:30 PM.
hilcountry (09-02-23)
Old 08-30-23, 01:04 PM
hilcountry
7th Gear

I tried reviewed the intructions from post 147 and tried to check the codes, but honestly, I'm not sure I did it correctly. I think I understand how to start it and get it into the diagnostic mode. What I didn't follow is what to do once it's in error mode.

Based on what I did, I got the diagnostic code: 00

Does this mean anything to you?
Old 08-30-23, 01:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

00 means no faults detected

Wondering if there isn't some other debris somewhere in the HVAC ducts or an actuator that that may be beginning to fail

Notice any changes in the noise as you move through modes from defrost, face, and floor vents?
hilcountry (09-02-23)
Old 08-30-23, 01:59 PM
hilcountry
7th Gear

I cycled thru all of the different modes and the noise remained. It did get louder based on the intensity of the air flow. Luckily the air comes out plenty cold!

I think checking for debris somewhere in the HVAC ducts makes sense. There was a leaf in the filter and blower motor when I changed those out. Any suggestions on how to check or blow out the ducts?
Old 08-30-23, 04:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

You might have better luck forcing air into the interior ducts with some kind of blower and see if anything ends up on the filter or remove the fan assembly altogether to make it easier to collect any debris.

hilcountry (09-02-23)

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info