GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 05:51 PM
shawngt2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bradntx
Yes, unfortunately I think this is a result of them trying to retrofit the previous generation infotainment to a 20 yr old platform. The newest one is supposed to be better but it seems they saved that for the new generation GX.
My '21 Audi SQ5 was the same. After someone touches their temp, you have to resync to get them all the same as the driver again. It is a PITA and wish you could disable it like you can with windows. lol
Old 12-04-23, 03:50 PM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2023 GX 460 hot footwell air with AC on cold

Dropped my 2023 GX 460 off for service today for problems with HVAC temp being unbalanced for driver and passenger and footwell.

With the AC on and the vents set to front and footwell with normal AC temps (say 65 - 72 for example and not absolute) the footwell is hot and the passenger vents are slightly warmer than the drivers side.

They gave me a 2023 to drive for the loaner and to try the HVAC in it and see. Turns out it has the same problem. Out came the IR thermometer when I got home and with the setpoint at 65 the footwell vents blow 100 degree air. The only way to get cold air out is to set the temp to LO. Setting it back to 65 the footwell air goes back to 100 degrees.

It's not just 65. Just normal AC usage of setting the temp in the 70's and the footwell is hot. I could not understand why I was not able to get the GX cool for my 12 hour road trip recently and this is why.

Update 1: Dealer said they have 2 new GX's they tried and they do it also so since all of them do it so it's normal. They can't help me and they said they can't contact anyone at Lexus.

Update 2: Got off the phone with "brand engagement" and they said oh so sorry but we can't help you. You have to go to the dealer who said we can't help you and to call Lexus brand engagement number.

So no one can do anything even they they acknowledged that this is nonsensical.

Surely, someone at the dealership or Lexus should be able to communicate with someone at Lexus that this is happening across multiple GX's and get guidance on a solution. It's simple yet impossible.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
Old 12-05-23, 05:40 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

although the dealer might not be able to help, you can fill out a feedback form. these are taken very seriously as they drive job promotions and bonuses. Can put in some negative things about this experience. might drive different behavior. net promotor scores are a metric that get reviewed all the way up.
Old 12-05-23, 07:49 AM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

Was just at the dealer this morning. The issue has been reported to Lexus. Dealer suspects since 3 new ones do it they all are doing it so check your footwell temps in relation to the air temp you have it set to.
Old 12-05-23, 08:27 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 259 Likes on 145 Posts

Crap, just checked, our 21 have similar issue, not hot, but definitely warm air compared to other vents

Wonder how to resolve this
Old 12-05-23, 08:47 AM
thatwasbrilliant
Rookie

You can reference this number possibly which is my service ID that the dealer used to communicate this issue with Lexus. The dealer told me to use it when I call Lexus to be a squeaky wheel. The more people that raise this issue the faster it gets fixed is the bottom line the Service Manager said.

Lexus: 800-25-LEXUS - Service Manager said to choose Customer Support option.
Service/Reference ID: 464248

It is a two part problem and I duplicated both on mine and the 2023 loaner.
Part 1 - driver side vents are cooler by several degrees than passenger vents with AC on (probably with AC off too)
Part 2 - Footwell vents are hot (mine were 100 degrees vs 65 from front facing vents)

NOTE: When setting temp to LO the footwell vents get cold. Set it back to 65 and they get hot.
Old 01-17-24, 08:18 AM
JDesmo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC behaviour

Have been keeping my AC on AUTO, usually just adjusting temp when needed. I noticed that when it's very cold outside (20*F), the display shows the AC compressor is not on. Is this normal ?
Old 01-17-24, 08:23 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes this is normal, there is a thermal switch that prevents the AC compressor from running when temperatures are low. If temps are too low the refrigerant will not vaporize and can return to the compressor as a liquid causing catastrophic damage to the compressor (liquids do not compress)
Old 01-17-24, 08:43 AM
JDesmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanG
Yes this is normal, there is a thermal switch that prevents the AC compressor from running when temperatures are low. If temps are too low the refrigerant will not vaporize and can return to the compressor as a liquid causing catastrophic damage to the compressor (liquids do not compress)
Thanks, so what to do if the windshield/windows fog up?
Old 01-17-24, 09:19 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Defog setting and a little heat works up here where it is below zero for about 6 months a year. Just warm air moving over windshield.
Old 01-17-24, 03:53 PM
JDesmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by IanG
Defog setting and a little heat works up here where it is below zero for about 6 months a year. Just warm air moving over windshield.
Still strange to me. Never noticed this in my previous 10 cars at least (Jaguars, Infinitis) or my wife's Volvo xc70. The AC compressor stays on in the winter if HVAC is in AUTO mode.
Old 01-17-24, 04:07 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDesmo
Still strange to me. Never noticed this in my previous 10 cars at least (Jaguars, Infinitis) or my wife's Volvo xc70. The AC compressor stays on in the winter if HVAC is in AUTO mode.
The AC light may be on on these other vehicles but the compressor will not engage in cold temps, the GX AC indicator light must be connected through the compressor clutch., The compressor not enabled in colder temperatures is standard on every vehicle AC system and has been for decades.
The following users liked this post:
mike202 (01-18-24)
Old 01-19-24, 07:47 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

IanG, perfectly good explanations, but the poster (#367) indicates "the display shows the AC compressor is not on". I am assuming the light on the instrument panel is off? Whether that light indicates anything about the compressor or not, my light stays on all the time.
Old 01-19-24, 09:02 AM
JDesmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Statman
IanG, perfectly good explanations, but the poster (#367) indicates "the display shows the AC compressor is not on". I am assuming the light on the instrument panel is off? Whether that light indicates anything about the compressor or not, my light stays on all the time.
Thanks. I'm talking about the AC light on the touch screen HVAC page. The row of hard HVAC buttons don't have dedicated AC on/off button- only 'AUTO' and 'OFF' buttons. So as far as I understand, on the touchscreen HVAC page, I would expect the AC to show as being on (green light) when the physical 'AUTO' button is on (but it is not). I always keep the 'AUTO' function on and just adjust desired temperature.
It appears in this car, while operating in cold outside ambient, the HVAC 'AUTO' function just uses a mix of engine heat and outside air to keep the desired cabin temperature while AC compressor is not engaged, even if just to provide humidity control.
Old 01-19-24, 12:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,654 Likes on 2,392 Posts

There is a customization setting (I have mine set that way)where AUTO can function without enabling AC compressor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10290310

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info