GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 07:02 AM
shooter191
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Mine flips back and forth pretty regularly depending on vehicles around me.
Thanks for the info. Definitely sounds like a service issue.
Old 06-17-18, 09:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Little off topic... guess I never noticed the memory feature with HVAC settings.

Old 06-17-18, 10:09 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Off Topic. I don't have GX yet, but I feel that Auto AC function without the fan speed would annoy the crap out of me (I live in socal). Is there a way to control the fan speed without going through the infotainment?
Old 06-17-18, 10:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately not
Old 06-17-18, 02:00 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Little off topic... guess I never noticed the memory feature with HVAC settings.

The memory to key fob includes all the seat position, outside mirror position, A/C settings (modes and temp). You just need to link the key fob to one of the memory settings in the car.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (06-17-18)
Old 06-18-18, 06:10 AM
regis2
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

@shooter191, try changing the sensitivity of the smog sensor.
The following 2 users liked this post by regis2:
Acrad (06-18-18), KJ6IRM (06-21-18)
Old 06-18-18, 11:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Good one.. I forgot about those climate settings related to the smog sensor.
Old 07-13-18, 03:30 PM
shooter191
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow Up

As a follow up to this issue, I just got my GX back from the service department where they checked my auto re-circulate issue. The Tech said the air is staying in the re-circulate mode because it has been so hot here lately. He said when the temp gets to about 75 it will start switching from re-circulate to outside air , but that is not how my ES 350 works. It switches to outside air as soon as the car cools down or I put the temp up to 75 degrees. I'll see what happens as soon as it cools down a bit.
Old 07-14-18, 12:50 PM
russg
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shooter191
I have a Premium model with smog sensors, and live just north of the Dallas area. I have driven to Sherman, Texas where there should be very little smog, and the same thing happened. One of the tech guys at the Lexus dealership said his IS recirculate mode rarely goes into re-circulate mode. This doesn't sound right to me. It has been hot here, but my ES 350 is just as hot and goes into outside air mode after cool down. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with a new model with smog sensors.
My 2015 Luxury GX has the same behavior, and behaves unlike any of my previous Lexus vehicles, or any other vehicles with auto HVAC systems. It almost never automatically switches to fresh air mode. I ran across the attached article in the November, 2017 issue of Motor Trend, which may help to explain why this is happening. The article suggest that manufacturers get some sort of off-cycle EPA credits when the vehicle is in recirculation mode, and therefore have programmed their HVAC modules to heavily favor recirculation mode. I have no idea what these credits are, or why they would be earned by having the vehicle in recirc mode. The article suggests that having the vehicle in recirc mode for long periods of time presents an issue of CO2 building in the cabin. All I know is that the Auto mode for determining whether outside air or inside air is distributed to the cabin is damn near useless. If anyone has any insight as to what this article is referring to, I'd sure like to hear it.

Russ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Motor Trend Article.pdf (173.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-14-18, 02:15 PM
shooter191
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by russg
My 2015 Luxury GX has the same behavior, and behaves unlike any of my previous Lexus vehicles, or any other vehicles with auto HVAC systems. It almost never automatically switches to fresh air mode. I ran across the attached article in the November, 2017 issue of Motor Trend, which may help to explain why this is happening. The article suggest that manufacturers get some sort of off-cycle EPA credits when the vehicle is in recirculation mode, and therefore have programmed their HVAC modules to heavily favor recirculation mode. I have no idea what these credits are, or why they would be earned by having the vehicle in recirc mode. The article suggests that having the vehicle in recirc mode for long periods of time presents an issue of CO2 building in the cabin. All I know is that the Auto mode for determining whether outside air or inside air is distributed to the cabin is damn near useless. If anyone has any insight as to what this article is referring to, I'd sure like to hear it.

Russ

Russ, that's great information. My first question is weather you are still running auto mode in your GX? I think things are changing as some of the newer higher tech Lexus models, like the NX, don't even have the auto mode for re-circulation. I'm taking a trip to the Texas Hill Country next week, and am curious how the air acts. Thanks for your input, and the article.

Last edited by shooter191; 07-14-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 06:07 PM
russg
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shooter191
Russ, that's great information. My first question is weather you are still running auto mode in your GX? I think things are changing as some of the newer higher tech Lexus models, like the NX, don't even have the auto mode for re-circulation. I'm taking a trip to the Texas Hill Country next week, and am curious how the air acts. Thanks for your input, and the article.
I do still leave the HVAC in auto mode while driving around the city, but for whatever the reason, it rarely goes into fresh air mode, no matter the season. I'm about ready to leave on a 5,000 mile road trip, much of which will be in the middle of nowhere, and I'll lock it down to outside air mode for the trip.

Russ
Old 07-14-18, 06:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I wonder if they changed this behavior in only the last few model years?

Mine actively switches back and forth.
Old 07-14-18, 06:59 PM
russg
10th Gear

I wonder if they changed this behavior in only the last few model years?

Mine actively switches back and forth.
That would be my assumption. My 2009 LS doesn't behave this way, nor did my 2008 GX, 2006 or 2004 LS or my 2007 RX.

Russ
Old 07-21-18, 03:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Default 3rd Zone Climate Control Observation

I rarely have passengers in my GX and cooling heating has always been good but was playing around with rear seat HVAC controls this afternoon.

Does everyones who has 3 zone operate this way?

Scenario

• Master climate set at 3 Zone

• Master is automatically using Face vents as it is warm in garage

• In rear I turn off AUTO and manually select FLOOR. Nothing comes out from under seat but I can feel air coming out of 3rd row floor vent

• I turn off master AUTO and manually select FLOOR for front. Now air comes out of the under seat vents

• No issues with overhead vents

I had assumed there was an HVAC bypass that would send air to under seat floor even if front seat wasn't using it and it was selected by rear seat controls.

Does everyone's do this?

EDIT: I need to look in FSM and OM to see if it actually states anything as well.
Old 07-21-18, 03:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

OM confirms this is normal. Kinda odd for what is considered feet for 2nd row.

Quick Reply: HVAC - Air Conditioning / Heating - Troubleshooting, Questions, Info