GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

underwhelmed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 06:32 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Soap
It is actually available in several 2019 models, just wish they would get the Android Auto support added as well
Ah cool. I’m actually surprised that Android Auto wasn’t supported first. Having used both I think CarPlay is more user friendly. Maybe that’s why.
Old 04-08-19, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by jaime1982
So we just considered trading out our current Lexus (2015gs350 Fsport) for a new 2019GX460with premium package in blk/blk. Am i the only one underwhelmed with the vehicle? this would be our 4th Lexus and 2nd Gx so we are very familiar with them, One thing i dont think i can get passed it the damn inst panel. It looks so dated and pixilated, looks so cheap. I cant imagine what it would look like 5 years from now.
In 5yrs it will still be just as pixelated or break. It wont get any better or any less pixelly.
Old 04-08-19, 07:13 AM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by situman
In 5yrs it will still be just as pixelated or break. It wont get any better or any less pixelly.
What?? Ours is 5 years old. Works perfectly. Matter of fact every one we looked at was fine. So, I’m not sure where you’re getting this or if you’re being sarcastic.
Old 04-08-19, 07:47 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Agree

I agree with the OP. GREAT TRUCK for reliability and can go anywhere - I love my 2012. But the tech is way out of date now. I’d be looking elsewhere at this point.
Old 04-08-19, 08:52 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Beware, less reliable :P
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (04-09-19)
Old 04-08-19, 09:24 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I’d buy that in a heartbeat
Old 04-08-19, 11:53 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by craigrpete
I agree with the OP. GREAT TRUCK for reliability and can go anywhere - I love my 2012. But the tech is way out of date now. I’d be looking elsewhere at this point.
Not everyone places tech as their #1 choice when considering a vehicle. Heck, it isn't even in a top 3 for me. As long as I can make and receive calls over BT and have speakers with music from a radio or BT, I am good. The GX is awesome b/c it is so simple and can reliably go anywhere. That is the draw...IMHO, it should probably wear a Toyota badge and not a Lexus b/c too many Lexus buyers can't appreciate the bones of the GX and just want to be pampered with colorful screens and pretty pictures.
Old 04-08-19, 12:00 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
Not everyone places tech as their #1 choice when considering a vehicle. Heck, it isn't even in a top 3 for me. As long as I can make and receive calls over BT and have speakers with music from a radio or BT, I am good. The GX is awesome b/c it is so simple and can reliably go anywhere. That is the draw...IMHO, it should probably wear a Toyota badge and not a Lexus b/c too many Lexus buyers can't appreciate the bones of the GX and just want to be pampered with colorful screens and pretty pictures.
If Toyota branded, then you will lose the quiet and serene ride. You basically have a 4runner. Nah, let’s not get carried away...i want Lexus branding here and everything that comes with it.

But i do agree that as long as BT/USB works with my iPhone and Mark Levinson plays nice with it, then i am a happy camper.
Old 04-08-19, 12:11 PM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
If Toyota branded, then you will lose the quiet and serene ride. You basically have a 4runner. Nah, let’s not get carried away...i want Lexus branding here and everything that comes with it.

But i do agree that as long as BT/USB works with my iPhone and Mark Levinson plays nice with it, then i am a happy camper.
I agree...I'd hate to lose all the refinement inside if it suddenly moved under the Toyota umbrella, which I don't ever see happening.

That video of the Prado is definitely impressive. My wife's MB has 360* cameras...and while nice in theory, the execution is a big lacking, IMHO. I find that I can't always rely on them in instances when I think they'd be extremely useful, since the view is distorted the closer you get to the vehicle.
Old 04-08-19, 12:19 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by oksir83
I agree...I'd hate to lose all the refinement inside if it suddenly moved under the Toyota umbrella, which I don't ever see happening.

That video of the Prado is definitely impressive. My wife's MB has 360* cameras...and while nice in theory, the execution is a big lacking, IMHO. I find that I can't always rely on them in instances when I think they'd be extremely useful, since the view is distorted the closer you get to the vehicle.
I trust my spotter(s) more than 360 cameras.
Old 04-08-19, 12:30 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Had an ES, had an RX. I test drove the GX and quite frankly, if you can't figure out it is lower tech when sitting in it an hitting the start button then go get a set of glasses (or a new script). These things are old(-er) school - which is why they work. Sure, add some high end electronics and muck up the operating system so when one thing goes awry you can't even start your vehicle. I am simply happy to have a BOF SUV that I can confidently get into every day (sun, rain, snow, ice, a farking blizzard!) and know it will function.

/off soapbox
//still wish it had a few things my RX had
///slashies come in 3's
Old 04-08-19, 01:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowan611
What?? Ours is 5 years old. Works perfectly. Matter of fact every one we looked at was fine. So, I’m not sure where you’re getting this or if you’re being sarcastic.
Hmm I'm not sure what the confusion is here. In 5yrs it will still be pixelated and works the same way unless it breaks. Just staying the obvious to the OP.
Old 04-08-19, 06:09 PM
Rowan611
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by situman
Hmm I'm not sure what the confusion is here. In 5yrs it will still be pixelated and works the same way unless it breaks. Just staying the obvious to the OP.
I misunderstood. But, how many have broken displays on here? It’s not like a e39 BMW that was known for pixels dying on there displays.
Old 04-08-19, 09:24 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So to those who feel the GX would be super unreliable if they introduced a "new OPERATING SYSTEM" also think the current LX with its doo hickeys and COLOR Screens and its multiple moving picture cameras are terribly unreliable?
Old 04-09-19, 05:28 AM
chimes
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So to those who feel the GX would be super unreliable if they introduced a "new OPERATING SYSTEM" also think the current LX with its doo hickeys and COLOR Screens and its multiple moving picture cameras are terribly unreliable?
Im not sure what they think but I’m not willing to settle for that line of reasoning. I chose the GX over the RX and other crossovers for many reasons but the “realiability” of the antiquated infotainment system and other tech features wasn’t one of them. The outdated tech just didn’t outweigh the positives.

There are PLENTY of other very reliable vehicles out there with the latest technology integrated throughout. I honestly just think Lexus is lazy/complacent when it comes to adding these options to the GX. Toyotas and other Lexus models are a decade ahead of the GX and I can’t think of any good reasons that would be the case. It’s frustrating but in the end wasn’t a deal breaker for me

Quick Reply: underwhelmed