Rain sensor wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 12:12 AM
Kpierce63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensor wipers

Hello:
I just purchased a 2016 GX460. Everything works great expect the wipers. The stalk settings have the Off/Auto/Low/Hi settings. However when I set it to Auto the wipers make one swipe on the windshield, then nothing. In trying to figure out the problem, I went down the rabbit hole looking at fuses. Then I started looking that perhaps my rain sensor was bad. So... I looked behind the rear view mirror and I don't see anything other than the rear view mirror "holder" (see photo). From what I can gather from other posts, the sensor is a black box beside the rear view mirror holder.

So, it appears I don't have a rain sensor. I can live with that. However, that leaves me with a Low or High speed. No type of delay setting. When I see the wipers to "Auto" they swipe once the nothing.
If you can help me with the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
1. Was rain sensor wipers an option on the 2016 GX460? That is, is it possible to NOT have this feature?
2. If I don't have rain sensor, what is the "Auto" setting used for?
3. If I don't have rain sensor, is there any way to get an intermittent setting for my wipers. Example, when there is a light mist I would like to have a very very slow speed. However, all I have is Low/High and Manually flipping the stalk.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-19, 06:43 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 985 Likes on 570 Posts

Does your GX had any prior windshield replaced, which is not OEM one? someone just decided to emitted the rain sensor? The rain sensor place should have an clear opening cut out from the screen dots patten area next to the mirror holder. If I remembered correctly, all GX configuration come with the rain sensor.
Old 05-02-19, 07:04 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Not sure why they aren't working as normal interval wipers. I'll have to look in FSM.

All '10-'13 models base or premium had the rain sensing wipers and the window deicer element at the bottom of windshield.

This is one I overlooked or forgot about as I see that '14+ base models do not have rain sensor or windshield deicer according to the brochures. You need a minimum '14+ Premium to have those features.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 07:53 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

On my wife's GX I turned the automatic mode off with Techstream. Now normal intermittent wiper control.
Old 05-02-19, 08:18 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Looking at the '16 brochure it's a feature only on the premium and lux pack GX. https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...X-Brochure.pdf

If you have a base model, it seems strange there is no intermittent for you...
Old 05-02-19, 09:31 AM
MBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauser
On my wife's GX I turned the automatic mode off with Techstream. Now normal intermittent wiper control.
Do you have the instructions for this handy? I would love to do this with mine. Might be worth buying the Techstream cable just for this.
Old 05-02-19, 09:41 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't. It is super easy. I think the wipers are under one of the body ecus. I can do a quick video when my wife gets back this evening if that would help.
Old 05-03-19, 07:07 AM
Kpierce63
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input.

So, what is the ‘Auto’ setting suppose to do when the car is not equipped with a rain sensor? Can I get/use this thing y’all are calling Techstream and make the wipers intermittent?

if so, can someone tell me the best place to get this device/tool?

regards

Old 05-03-19, 07:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Interesting yours say AUTO when owner's manual says it should say INT for the non-rain sensor models.

I assume you have the adjustable dial on the stock for interval?

I assume you purchased used. Does the windshield show Lexus on the bottom somewhere or 3rd party brand? This might be a stretch but if 3rd party sure you don't have a Premium and windshield was replaced and rain sensor removed for some bizarre reason?

You can see build data here:

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

Page 206
https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general...ers_manual.pdf

Old 05-03-19, 08:57 AM
Kpierce63
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the quick response. There is a sticker ‘Pilkington’. So, I guess some service technician got themself a nice Lexus rain sensor.

From reading the replies, it looks like I can get the wiper to operate in intermittent mode by using Techstream. At the moment my wipers speed is either High, Low or Off.

If true about the Techstream, I assume I need a device and cable. Is it easy to use once it is connected? And is there a good place to purchase? Do I need to get a specific type or does it operate on all vehicles?

I am going to search for this item and videos on how to use. But, if anyone knows of a good instructional video, please let me know.

regards.

Old 05-03-19, 11:17 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You could try this option and run it as a VM. I'd try running on OS X or Windows 10.

Cable also on there from Amazon

Once you get around in it it is pretty easy but might seem intimidating the first few times you use it.

I used my Techstream to install crawl control, smart card key, glass break sensor and factory remote start. Forgot my annual TPMS reprograms. It will basically work on any Toyota or Lexus vehicles.
Old 05-04-19, 07:48 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mauser
What model year GX and Techstream version are you using?

I have am using a 12.x version on my '12 and didn't seem to find this toggle anywhere when I looked this morning.
Old 05-04-19, 10:49 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Previous owner or dealer must have stuffed the connector up into the headliner.

OP: Do you see the old spot wiring harness went into headliner?

If correct windshield was used at least you could put a replacement sensor in there.

Old 05-04-19, 11:15 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Hopefully there is a way with Techstream to adjust this. The wiring diagrams show a different switch setup.

[With Rain Sensor]

[Without Rain Sensor]

The following users liked this post:
hzhao (05-04-19)
Old 05-04-19, 05:33 PM
Kpierce63
Driver School Candidate

Ironically, yes there is a notch in the headliner where the control would feed through.

would the notch be there for cars without the rain sensor?

I hate the thought of pulling down the headliner. So, any tips in this area would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Quick Reply: Rain sensor wipers