GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rain sensor wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 06:48 PM
maximusgx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Rain Sensor keeps falling off the windshield

We've got a new-to-us 2013 GX460 and the rain sensor has been falling off the windshield since two weeks after we took delivery. I've got an extended warranty on the truck, but the dealership says there's nothing they can do to fix the problem short of adding some double-sided tape to it. Aside from the dealer BS, I can't figure out why it won't stay on since it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks folks!
Old 02-14-16, 11:35 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Call corporate and tell them that the dealership is refusing to repair something under warranty, I'm sure the dealer will fix the problem after a call from corporate. In some cases the windshield needs to be replaced as the bracket is molded in to the windshield.
Old 02-15-16, 11:27 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

I have the same problem and it started after I had my windshield replaced by Safelite. Check if you have the Lexus stamp on your windshield. If you don't, this would be a good reason for insurance to refuse to fix it. My sensor stays on and looks fine, but I can't get the clip to lock. I plan to put a bead of silicone on it at some point and use a stick to brace it while it sets.
Old 02-15-16, 02:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Here is my problem. I can't get the slide to stay closed so sensor doesn't always work when it rains. I have to push on it to get it to work.

Does anyone know what comes with the windshield? The metal brackets shown?

I don't see anything broken.

I use this stuff often and it has a strong flexible hold
Old 02-16-16, 08:49 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my solution to that problem.

Black electrical tape. You can hardly tell it's there. It's been good thus far, and it's been a while. Direct sunlight, cold night, raining days, etc. No issues. Just make sure the clear rubbery piece and the back of the sensor is clean before adjoining them together.

Old 02-16-16, 09:31 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That works. Also you can use urethane for the strongest hold as that is what they use to seal up your front and back windshields from the factory.
Old 02-17-16, 05:00 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys that little bracket goes on and will firm up the sensor to the windshield. The bracket goes in first and the the sensor. It has a little play. Takes a while.
Old 02-22-16, 06:56 PM
carterww
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensor

Originally Posted by maximusgx
We've got a new-to-us 2013 GX460 and the rain sensor has been falling off the windshield since two weeks after we took delivery. I've got an extended warranty on the truck, but the dealership says there's nothing they can do to fix the problem short of adding some double-sided tape to it. Aside from the dealer BS, I can't figure out why it won't stay on since it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks folks!
If the windshield has been replaced with an aftermarket brand, the bracket that comes on the windshield is not the same as factory. The bracket will not completely latch to the bracket. And the bracket is not sold by Lexus. I had my windshield changed and it happened to me. Only solution is to get a factory bracket somehow without paying a fortune to get a factory windshield.
Old 02-23-16, 03:41 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by carterww
If the windshield has been replaced with an aftermarket brand, the bracket that comes on the windshield is not the same as factory. The bracket will not completely latch to the bracket. And the bracket is not sold by Lexus. I had my windshield changed and it happened to me. Only solution is to get a factory bracket somehow without paying a fortune to get a factory windshield.
Assuming most people file insurance claim it sounds like a good reason to insist on a factory windshield. It can be done. Some insurance companies offer a break on the deductible if you go with their own approved installer (and windshield), but they will allow for the factory windshield. At least that has been my experience when I had to have a BMW windshield replaced and the car had both HUD and rain sense.
Old 02-23-16, 06:41 AM
carterww
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No question about it. Always insist on a factory windshield!
Old 02-23-16, 08:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Umm, no....see above solutions
Sometimes we have a need to improvise here LOL.
Old 02-24-16, 03:57 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Clear silicone (as shown above) is the best fix. Use it as shown above and forget about hassling with the dealer. It's a simple fix.
Old 11-20-16, 05:44 AM
jlin7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a GS350 with a aftermarket windshield (came with metal mounting bracket preinstalled?). The U shaped plastic bracket for my humidity sensor is also not sliding in all the way on mine. So I guess the only solution is to get a factory windshield?

Last edited by jlin7; 11-20-16 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 08:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

My silicone fix is no longer holding up. I have to press on the sensor now when it rains. What would be a good fix for this? The silicone seems to flex too much overtime, I don’t want to cause any damage with a permanent bond to the sensor if I need to have the glass relpaced again. I tried the tape solution but it is not strong enough and breaks free.
Old 03-18-18, 07:27 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I've never pulled mine apart but does the gel pack that sits between the sensor and windshield offer up any adhesion when new?

Quick Reply: Rain sensor wipers