GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking for some advice on AT tires for the Gx460

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 11:52 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Cooper AT3 are good tires and quiet and have good wet traction but i think their rubber is a bit soft and wear out fast. They are also easy to feather if the psi isn't right.

Last edited by bbqsoup; 10-23-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 01:51 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
I personally experienced a brand new set to be out of round. Battled with Michelin tech support over it for a few days. My next set? same problem. I know people personally who also had the problem. In reality, it's probably just a small number of people out of the thousands they sell that has experience this issue -- I know you were being sarcastic and wanted to troll since you hate @ASE . It's personally disappointing since I have owned 2 sets of the original BFG KO and wore them down to the end and loved them.
... all one has to do is have an "off the record" discussion with Discount Tire and they will be honest about BFG KO balancing issues ... would win the "comeback tire of the month" every month if there was such a contest. Just remember ... you are wrong and I am wrong because the tire troll has spoken.
Old 10-23-19, 02:43 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

the original post was for AT tires for wet and sand. one option for wet and sand is to not use AT tires. even though the post was about AT tires, I'll throw this out there just in case it helps someone. For wet and sand AT isn't the optimal design. For wet, you dont want a tire with a bunch of block patches of rubber like an AT tire. For sand you dont want something designed to DIG in like an AT tire.

heres something better for wet and sand and even snow. its a summer based tire with the 3 mountain peak for winter, and has a way better tread for sand than an AT tire.

Old 10-25-19, 01:46 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
the original post was for AT tires for wet and sand. one option for wet and sand is to not use AT tires. even though the post was about AT tires, I'll throw this out there just in case it helps someone. For wet and sand AT isn't the optimal design. For wet, you dont want a tire with a bunch of block patches of rubber like an AT tire. For sand you dont want something designed to DIG in like an AT tire.

heres something better for wet and sand and even snow. its a summer based tire with the 3 mountain peak for winter, and has a way better tread for sand than an AT tire.

Gotta love the guy (or gal) that says "here's a better tire" and never identifies it...

As an aside, there is no such thing as a "summer tire with 3 mountain peaks"

That said and a bit of a hijack - is there a tire that will provide superior snow traction AND acceptable handling and wear in summer months?
Old 10-25-19, 02:50 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by cb1111
Gotta love the guy (or gal) that says "here's a better tire" and never identifies it...

As an aside, there is no such thing as a "summer tire with 3 mountain peaks"

That said and a bit of a hijack - is there a tire that will provide superior snow traction AND acceptable handling and wear in summer months?

the tire is identified in the pic. for those who cant see it for some reason, its a michelin cross climate suv
i said summer based tire, not a summer tire. read up on it. its an all season tire, based on the previous summer tire, with the 3 mountain peaks.
this is the tire that will provide superior snow traction AND acceptable handling and wear in summer months

theres a reason its the only tire legal year round in some locations.
Old 10-25-19, 02:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 705 Posts

the tire is identified in the pic. for those who cant see it for some reason, its a michelin cross climate suv
i said summer based tire, not a summer tire. read up on it. its an all season tire, based on the previous summer tire, with the 3 mountain peaks.
this is the tire that will provide superior snow traction AND acceptable handling and wear in summer months

A tire without studs ... why would it be illegal to run year round ?

Last edited by ASE; 10-25-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 02:58 PM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
It does not have studs ... so why would it be illegal to run year round ?
not saying this is illegal to run year round. saying that it is the only tire that is legal to run year round for some, at least when i did the research.

the tire was designed for northern european markets where you have to have snow tires on certain dates.
this is the tire that came oem on some mercedes so they wouldnt have to change the tires twice a year in those markets.
Old 10-25-19, 06:31 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Crap. Didn't even look to see who posted it, but looking at the picture I can make out the Michelin and a C, but that's about all.

Thanks for the info.

Do you run these year-round? Any ideas of tread life if rotated properly?
Old 10-25-19, 06:48 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASE
A tire without studs ... why would it be illegal to run year round ?
not saying this is illegal to run year round. saying that it is the only tire that is legal to run year round for some, at least when i did the research.

the tire was designed for northern european markets where you have to have snow tires on certain dates.
this is the tire that came oem on some mercedes so they wouldnt have to change the tires twice a year in those markets.
Right. In most parts of Europe you are required to run actual winter tires in the winter (what a novel concept). Most "all-season" tires don't qualify.

Some Canadian provinces have adopted the same requirements.
Old 10-25-19, 06:53 PM
John00
Racer

Crap. Didn't even look to see who posted it, but looking at the picture I can make out the Michelin and a C, but that's about all.

Thanks for the info.

Do you run these year-round? Any ideas of tread life if rotated properly?
and here i thought i had a fan.
if you click on the pic it should get bigger, at least it does for me.
ive had them only since this summer. others have said that they wear ok but not as good as some tires. my guess is that the tire might be softer to get the good cold response and this could shorten life. but it is meant for year round use. i drive on gravel so my wear might not be a good example but ill recheck after one year.
a friends dad has them also, said he likes them and didnt mention wear as a problem.
seems the more traction you get the faster they wear in most cases.

i asked the discount tire guy where i got them, he didnt know much about these since they arent that popular. most people dont even know about them.
heres results from a tirerack survey. they have reviews maybe theres a clue in there. the most impressive set of scores i remember ever seeing. maybe skewed due to smaller population, dont know.

Old 10-25-19, 06:56 PM
John00
Racer

yeah #1
one more note, they make about zero noise until you turn. then they make a strange swooshing sound you can hear if the windows are down. really neat to hear, and can hear it at very low speeds.
to me it sounds like traction. i havent noticed a decrease in mpg.
Old 10-25-19, 07:09 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

yeah #1
one more note, they make about zero noise until you turn. then they make a strange swooshing sound you can hear if the windows are down. really neat to hear, and can hear it at very low speeds.
to me it sounds like traction. i havent noticed a decrease in mpg.
Ahhh, the sweet sound of traction.

Yes, they have pretty decent reviews.

On my current car, I run dedicated winters during the winter and high performance all seasons the rest of the time since I need to be mobile 24/7 and am getting too old to be a speed demon in hairpin turns.
Old 10-26-19, 03:17 AM
John00
Racer

Ahhh, the sweet sound of traction.

Yes, they have pretty decent reviews.

On my current car, I run dedicated winters during the winter and high performance all seasons the rest of the time since I need to be mobile 24/7 and am getting too old to be a speed demon in hairpin turns.

I ran winters and all seasons as well. im hopeful that they will work out well year round. so far they are. excellent in the rain, in the hot and dry too. didnt even slip on the interstate in the rain over the tar patches.
Old 12-23-19, 06:30 PM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 265/65/18 Pirelli All Terrain Plus and they are great.
Old 12-24-19, 07:06 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift1
I have 265/65/18 Pirelli All Terrain Plus and they are great.
Did you swap out the spare for this size tire as well?