GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Door edge guards

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 12:46 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Installed driver side doors this morning. I'll do the other side when I pull vehicle out of the garage. You do have to use a rubber mallet to tap them into place. There is also a template to cut out and tape on vehicle to ensure you are mounting them at proper height on door.

Not very good pics on a dirty vehicle... I did clean up areas they mount too though.

The following users liked this post:
Richie7 (09-20-19)
Old 09-09-19, 03:19 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2010 GX460 and noticed Lexus only lists 2011-2019 color matched door edge guards. After talking to Lexus dealership I was told that the reason it did not include 2010's was because the edge guards did not come out until 2011. But he said there is no reason why they would not fit any 2nd generation GX460 including my 2010.
Old 09-09-19, 04:16 AM
jcheung17
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know what the part number is or a link for starfire pearl?
Old 09-09-19, 06:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jcheung17
Does anyone know what the part number is or a link for starfire pearl?
https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...l-pt9366011010

Assuming you don't find total checkout cheaper elsewhere use CLUBLEXUS as code fro 50% off shipping.
msgs350 (12-05-19)
Old 09-09-19, 02:39 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Edge Guards

I ordered mine from Lexus Akron as they were the best all in price I could find at $78 shipped to Texas.
Old 09-09-19, 02:42 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I paid close to that.

PT936-60120-04
Door Edge Guards
Fire Agate Pearl$66.68

Subtotal: $66.68

Estimated Standard Shipping: $22.91

Discount: -$11.46

Total: $78.14
Old 09-11-19, 03:53 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

IMO... front doors are relatively easy... the rear doors are a little more tricky with the bend. I finished the passenger side this afternoon.

Take your time
Richie7 (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 02:23 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
IMO... front doors are relatively easy... the rear doors are a little more tricky with the bend. I finished the passenger side this afternoon.

Take your time
I just received my door edge guards yesterday and am glad I saw your post. Here I thought all four would be a breeze to install. I WILL take my time. Thanks!
Acrad (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 08:40 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I got them yesterday too and installed them this morning. Took me about 20min for all four. The front ones are easy and I installed them about 1” above the body side molding. I found it’s easier if you use the rubber mallet or finger and push in the bottom end first, give it a few taps to get it seat tight then push in the top end to have both of them in. Then proceed to tap along the edge to seat the whole thing.

For the rear, line up curve part of the guard to the curve section of the door, then tap in the upper portion first. Get it to seat, then tap in the bottom most section. Once both are in, you can hold it and tap in the rest. It took me less than a min for the driver rear after I figured this out.
And use a towel to cover the edge for the final seating too.

The Tungsten pearl matches really well and at certain light, you couldn’t tell if they are there.

Originally Posted by Richie7
I just received my door edge guards yesterday and am glad I saw your post. Here I thought all four would be a breeze to install. I WILL take my time. Thanks!
Acrad (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 03:00 PM
Richie7
Rookie

I received my door edge guards yesterday and installed them afternoon. I was not as fast as others on here as it took me a good 45 minutes. These are of better quality than what I expected but I highly recommend your read the directions for installment. They are very rigid. Almost like there is some light weight metal wrapped with durable vinyl or rubber. You cannot just install these like you might have with after market door edge guards like what we might have bought before. You have to use a rubber mallet. I started with the passenger front first although the directions stated to start with the rear. I wanted to do install the easy ones first and glad I did because the rear doors were a little more time consuming due to the drastic curve lines.
When I installed the front guards I taped the cutout guide around the handle. Then I started with the top just under the paper tab(start point). Directions state to start about 3 inches below this tab. I did and started tapping it with my rubber mallet. You can feel when the guard is seated all the way in. Then I worked up to the 2 or 3 inches above at the top. Then I started with remainder of the guard approx. 4 inches under the paper tab and worked inch by inch tapping it in all of the way.
Installing the rear doors took a little more time due to the curved part of the door(as mentioned previously on this thread). On one of the rear door I had to change my plan because I was having difficultly getting it to seat against the edge of the door. So I started to work from the bottom to try and finish it. It worked for me much better going to the bottom once I had the top 3 inches seated.
I am just an old retired guy and I did not want to damage the guards in any way because the directions state if you want to remove them once they are on you cannot reuse them because they will not seat properly and stated you would have to buy another door edge guard(no thank you at about $15 each.
I purchased the door guards from Bell Lexus in N. Scottsdale, AZ. They have had 30th anniversary sale and right now for me the discount was 10%. I think next week it goes down to 5%. If interested go to their website. I paid $61.56 with my discount. No tax since I am out of state. Shipping was $8.56. Total was $70.12.
I hope I can help someone like the replies before did for me.

Front driver door showing how I held the seated part and would tap inch by inch below my thumb to the bottom.

Front passenger door completed. Notice how they do not go all of the way down to the bottom of the door. They stopped at my chrome trim.

Passenger rear door installed. It is a shorter piece as the guard is not install below. The door does have a curve to just below the door handle. The guard is sort of open on the inside to possible make it somewhat flexible to make the turn. Then it becomes solid again for the remainder of the guard. The read door guards are shorter than the front ones.

Passenger side completely installed. Looks great since they are specifically made for the factory color (Starfire Pearl) and matches perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Richie7:
Acrad (09-20-19), bbqsoup (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 03:27 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Looks good!
Was there instruction in the package? I didn't see any. LOL
Old 09-20-19, 03:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I didn't receive any either. I printed out version in thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...structions.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (09-20-19), Richie7 (09-21-19)
Old 09-21-19, 03:43 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Looks good!
Was there instruction in the package? I didn't see any. LOL
Yes...instructions were included. They were laying on the floor. Imo I think that is a dealer decision since some received them and others did not. I would definitely get them before install. Like I earlier stated....these are not you normal edge guards you buy at Wal-Mart, etc. You do not want to make a mistake with them. Best advice I can give is to be patient and do it when you have plenty of time(1 hour max??).
Old 12-05-19, 01:22 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Can you post part #'s? Will it save other cars? My wife and kids tend to swing the doors wide open in the garage next to my ISF.
I should have gotten these sooner, got dings now.
Do these come in a set of 4 per part #? Or is it front and/or rear doors separate?

Product Link: https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...l-pt9366011010
Old 12-05-19, 02:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

All 4 come in the same kit you linked to.

Originally Posted by msgs350
I should have gotten these sooner, got dings now.
Do these come in a set of 4 per part #? Or is it front and/or rear doors separate?

Product Link: https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-...l-pt9366011010
msgs350 (12-05-19)

Quick Reply: Door edge guards