GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Broken luggage speaker mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19 | 08:26 AM
John00
Racer

Default Broken luggage speaker mount

After a combination of blasting loud music and a horrendous impact of something like hitting a 8" boulder at 20MPH, I heard some vibration sound when playing music. At first I thought something in the back of my carry around equipment had shifted and ignored it. A few weeks later and it was unbearable and I dug in. I saw the real problem and after evaluation of several options, I opted for the fat cable tie. Note that some of this could be caused by the bottle jack which looks like it had been extended a little in the storage position. Store the bottle jack in the all the way down position.
So Im sharing to show the quickest cheapest easiest solution. We'll see about durability.

In that mount hole you see a section of the ripped sheet metal.

Heres the part. Ignore the wood splinters and sawdust, I cut some boards in the back and yeah... a mess. Seems my favorite wrench photo bombed as well.

Heres the cable tie path. I used a long twist tie fished through first, then pulled the cable tie through. Theres a small gap where the cable tie can be securely passed through in the back that holds it all together.

Then the below was tightened and cut.

now zero rattle. before it was loud, even outside the vehicle. it doesnt look like theres enough movement for the metal to cut the cable tie after awhile.

Discarded options: ripping into the back to weld a new nut, creating a welded nut plate to weld without ripping into the back, a steel cable tie, silicone or liquid nails, or a toggle bolt amongst others. I also considered the cable tie WITH an adhesive to fill in the gap, but the adhesives I tested didn't adhere to the black plastic, some plastics need special adhesives. I didn't want weld splatter and also the gas inlet is close, although I don't think would be an issue.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (05-21-19)