GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

KDSS Info / Problems / Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 08:43 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Feedback from Blackgate Customs: "We don't have full production photos yet, we're working on getting the last oem connector to make it fully plug and play. Everything else is ready to go and we've been testing a pre-production version for months now on our KDSS 4runner. @blackgatecustoms and @bg_4rnr on Instagram are where most of our postings go and we've been updating with the progress on the switch and all of our other products as well."

"And the 4Runner/GX460 are identical underneath so it will work on the 460. We don't have a 470 to test on, but we'd love to see if the connector/electrical control portion of the system is the same because then it would work. I'll head over to that group and maybe we'll be able to find someone who would be willing to either take pictures or drop by and let us check it out."
Old 05-18-20, 07:18 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
Feedback from Blackgate Customs: "We don't have full production photos yet, we're working on getting the last oem connector to make it fully plug and play. Everything else is ready to go and we've been testing a pre-production version for months now on our KDSS 4runner. @blackgatecustoms and @bg_4rnr on Instagram are where most of our postings go and we've been updating with the progress on the switch and all of our other products as well."

"And the 4Runner/GX460 are identical underneath so it will work on the 460. We don't have a 470 to test on, but we'd love to see if the connector/electrical control portion of the system is the same because then it would work. I'll head over to that group and maybe we'll be able to find someone who would be willing to either take pictures or drop by and let us check it out."
I have been eyeballing this. One of the best offroad mods I did to my Jeep was sway bar disconnects. It made the ride so much better on rough roads, not just below 12mph.

Treaty Oak Offroad is coming out with spacers for the sway bar mounts to help with KDSS lean on lifted vehicles. They already have a spacer for the 470. The 460 is "coming soon".

https://www.treatyoakoffroad.com/pro...liminator-2000
Old 05-18-20, 07:41 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I am curious what this does for a stock suspension vehicle as well.

They are apparently waiting on quantity for a specific connector that is needed.
Old 05-19-20, 02:55 PM
Cbrigtri3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New here with a question about the KDSS system. Are there flexible hose options to replace the metal ones on the driver side? Or are hydrology hose that can handle the pressure good?

thank you.
Old 05-19-20, 03:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I'm not sure I have seen anything 3rd party on hose replacements but I am sure there are 3rd party options out there. You are the first that I have heard to ask but will keep an eye out.
===============================
On the upcoming Blackgate Customs option I asked about install, price and just installing on stock suspension vehicles.

"it will be in line with the KDSS control system (the plug hidden along the frame under the drivers door). You'll just need to run the wires from there into the engine bay and cab for the switch and you're done. Price wise we are unfortunately still at the mercy of our choked Covid supply chain but we will let you know as soon as we know.And it will make a huge difference on the factory suspension as well, it gives you that much more control of what you're doing in every situation"
Old 05-19-20, 03:37 PM
Cbrigtri3
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Arcad.

i ordered something side steps that said they were compatible...but they weren’t. I need to reroute the tube/hose on the driver side.

if I find something I’ll post an update.
Old 05-25-20, 08:52 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I thought I read this elsewhere but will need to confirm on "electronic" enhancements to KDSS on 460 versus the previous optional version on 470.

"KDSS is standard on the Lexus GX 460, and enhanced for 2010 with steering and yaw sensors."
The following users liked this post:
sinistar (05-26-20)
Old 05-26-20, 10:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

KDSS difference between 460 & 470:

470 (Acceleration Sensor) versus 460 (Yaw Rate Sensor)
470 (Speed Sensors on wheels) versus 460 (Skid Control ECU for speed detection)

daklakfoto (07-24-20)
Old 05-29-20, 08:40 PM
mattds
Pit Crew

Default Additional questions about lift install with KDSS on a drive on hoist

I'm going to install a 2" spacer lift (the type that sits on top of the strut - this works for my intended use) on my GX with AVS using a drive on hoist with a sliding jack that can lift one end of a vehicle. (I foolishly got rid of my jacks and Jack stands). Ive done extensive reading and I guess id like those with more experience than me to help clarify a few things.

1. I've read that it might be possible to not touch the kdss, disconnect the UPPER control arm and I presume by removing the UCA it allows the lower arm to droop more and then take the strut out.... Is this correct?
2. Would compressing the coil spring help? (I'm sure this is an obvious yes).
3. Why is ratcheting up the the kdss ram useful? Is this because it then allows one to disconnect the swaybar from the LCA and then easily reconnect it? (Without the sway bar being pushed away by the ram).
4. What happens if the shutter valve for the kdss system is open with the vehicle on flat ground and then only one end lifted?

Thanks!
M

Old 05-30-20, 05:32 AM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

* I haven't tried this on a GX, it's highly doubtful my wife would let me! *

1. Since you're using a drive-on lift, I'd try placing the GX in low range before driving on the lift. This should cause the KDSS to disconnect - thus relieving the tension. It will still be in the way but the lack of tension should help moving the lower arm around.

2. On my Tacoma there are 2 bolts holding the lower part of the spindle to the lower ball joint. I removed those and didn't have to actually disconnect the ball joints from the spindle. That allowed enough movement in the upper arm to swing it and the spindle out of the way to let me remove and insert the shock/spring assy.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-20, 08:01 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Hey, thanks!
Old 07-24-20, 10:10 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Repair listed on Drive2 site. Translated

OCGX (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 10:23 AM
Cbrigtri3
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Arcad, thank you for all the details. I couldn’t find a local place to remake the lines for KDSS. Looking for a new set of running boards now
Acrad (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 12:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I updated post #3 with diagnostic codes. You can obtain KDSS malfunction codes with a wire on the OBD port. Instructions in post.
Old 07-24-20, 01:18 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Bleeding KDSS system

Quick Reply: KDSS Info / Problems / Discussion