GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Torsen Diff (VF4BM) - Technical overview / Diagnostics / Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 05:53 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Centre differential light won't turn off

Kicking up this thread rather than create a new one. Drove 100km home yesterday and noticed the light was on about 5 mins away from home. Hit the button to turn it off and it just kept flashing. Turned car on and off a few times. Reversed, forward, on off... Left overnight... Same issue this morning. Differential definitely is locked as the car tightens up in slow tight turns. 2021.

Called dealership and waiting for a call back. Will report when I take it in. Checking to see if others have similar experiences or thoughts. My car is by no means regularly troublesome but this would be the third time in the shop since buying last year for non regular service related issues. Frustrating. The other two reasons were not manufacturing related but PDI and theft attempt related.

EDIT: So I was able to turn it off today. Hit the button while driving and it turned off with no issue. I could have sworn I did this yesterday (driving, in park, and also in reverse) and it kept flashing. Maybe the car has to be going a minimum speed for it to work. I was driving about 20-30km/hr. Yesterday I was only rolling forward.

Last edited by mehran888; 06-13-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-13-22, 09:42 AM
ChrisPh
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Kicking up this thread rather than create a new one. Drove 100km home yesterday and noticed the light was on about 5 mins away from home. Hit the button to turn it off and it just kept flashing. Turned car on and off a few times. Reversed, forward, on off... Left overnight... Same issue this morning. Differential definitely is locked as the car tightens up in slow tight turns. 2021.

Called dealership and waiting for a call back. Will report when I take it in. Checking to see if others have similar experiences or thoughts. My car is by no means regularly troublesome but this would be the third time in the shop since buying last year for non regular service related issues. Frustrating. The other two reasons were not manufacturing related but PDI and theft attempt related.

EDIT: So I was able to turn it off today. Hit the button while driving and it turned off with no issue. I could have sworn I did this yesterday (driving, in park, and also in reverse) and it kept flashing. Maybe the car has to be going a minimum speed for it to work. I was driving about 20-30km/hr. Yesterday I was only rolling forward.
I had the same problem last winter. After driving about 10 minutes on snowy/wet road, the CDL light was on by itself and I couldn't turn it off. I followed the instruction in the menu and it didn't work. It didn't matter if it was in park, driving or in reverse. I kept pushing the CDL button and suddenly it was off. Until now, I still have no idea what is the right procedure to turn that dam thing off.
Old 06-13-22, 11:07 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisPh
I had the same problem last winter. After driving about 10 minutes on snowy/wet road, the CDL light was on by itself and I couldn't turn it off. I followed the instruction in the menu and it didn't work. It didn't matter if it was in park, driving or in reverse. I kept pushing the CDL button and suddenly it was off. Until now, I still have no idea what is the right procedure to turn that dam thing off.
Tx, appreciate you sharing this @ChrisPh ! I felt like I was going nuts last night trying to turn it off, and then with it turning off easily today.. I wondered if I truly am nuts. What's odd is that even though there was a lot of rain during the day, I was driving in relatively dry conditions. I have a neighbour who works for Toyota/Lexus and knows their vehicles inside out. I'll ask him what he thinks.

wasn't very helpful
Old 07-07-22, 09:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Model year 2020+ OBD codes

Last edited by Acrad; 07-07-22 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (07-08-22)
Old 10-23-22, 10:52 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Center diff lock stuck/blinking

I don't know what happened, but somehow my wife drove the gx 30 minutes away with the center diff locked. I explained it to her over the phone and told her to turn it off. But now it is just flashing and I believe it's still locked based on the fact that she's saying it's hard to turn the wheel.

Im on my way to where she is, but does anyone know why the light would just be blinking? Pressing the button is doing nothing.
Old 10-23-22, 11:51 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

What year is your GX? Miles, CDL fluid ever changed?

Have you ever engaged the Center Diff Lock before?

Has she stopped and placed in neutral? Normally it should just disengage at slow speeds.

It could be seized in an engaged state.
WRD4chano (10-23-22)
Old 10-24-22, 07:54 AM
reypac24
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

any update?
Old 10-24-22, 08:31 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Hey all. Not sure what the issue was. The light was blinking when I showed up and the button didn't clear it or light it up. I thought maybe if I just backed up or went forward before putting it in neutral and trying again might allow it to either engage or disengage but that didn't do anything. Eventually I just shut the truck off, turned it back on, went into neutral immediately and then I was able to turn it off.

My guess is that its a button/actuator issue and not a mechanical one (thank god). Next time I'm at my shop I'll ask the mechanic to see if it's a soldering issue or something with the button itself.
reypac24 (10-24-22)
Old 10-24-22, 09:23 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 260 Likes on 145 Posts

Hopefully nothing serious

I've made myself the habit to activate both 4L and CDL once a month. just to keep it from getting stuck, at least that is the plan.
The following 2 users liked this post by tntcandy:
reypac24 (10-24-22), Seanzky (10-26-22)
Old 10-24-22, 09:45 AM
Novelectro
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tntcandy

I've made myself the habit to activate both 4L and CDL once a month. just to keep it from getting stuck, at least that is the plan.
That's a good idea. DAC as well pretty much never gets used.
Old 10-26-22, 03:43 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy

I do this on a patch of dirt near my house. I drive in circles, up and down the tiny bumps, using all 4 combos of 4H/4L and CDL on and off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Seanzky:
Acrad (10-26-22), tntcandy (10-26-22)
Old 05-22-23, 08:46 AM
Duedter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 won't shift into 4lo

2012 GX460, flashing 4lo and center diff lights, 4hi/4lo switch doesn't seem to do anything, no error codes using Bluedriver full scan.

This started with trying to switch to 4lo and it getting stuck in 4lo. I took it to a local mechanic where they replace the battery and alternator. They are able to get it back to 4hi but now the above issue popped up. The mechanic said I'll need to take it to a transmission shop for a really expensive repair.

I started a conversation on a facebook DIY repair group but I haven't heard anything after my last reply. He recommended I do some testing on the 4wd Control ECU that's located above the glovebox. The voltage on pin 3 to body ground is12v and pin 13 is showing 12v when in 4hi. When I switch to 4lo on pin 13 drops to 50mV. The resistance on pin 4 is the weird part, it just jumps around and sometimes stops at 24ohms. The person I was talking to on facebook said the resistance should be 1ohm. Does these mean I need a new 4wd ECU?

Old 05-22-23, 12:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The 4WD ECU has to all be manually tested 2010-2019... IIRC... 2020+ models now store codes for the CDL and 4L/4H actuator.

You will want to read through this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eshooting.html