GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Yakima EZ Rider Tower

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 05:20 AM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by douplas
I ordered the EZ riders yesterday from Ebay for $77.50 . I also found a yakima fairing, bike mount, and bars locally for $65. Now I need to find a cargo box and Ill be set.
not bad at all. I was surprised how tight everything felt up there. It’s a good set up.
The following users liked this post:
douplas (04-06-21)
Old 04-10-21, 12:02 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything, but I couldn't get the locking EZ Riders to attach to my side rail in a fashion I was comfortable with. Side to side, they were rock solid, but ended up being able to rock them fore/aft more than I liked. The contour of the EZ Rider base does not match the OEM side rail very well, and you end up with only a few points of contact when you look up under the rubber pad. Not sure if there are different contours between the locking and non-locking EZ Rider towers? I may just end up with OEM bars for the few times I use the rack.

Yakima EZ rider mount on OEM GX 460 side rail

Old 04-10-21, 01:47 PM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by azfj60
Huh. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything, but I couldn't get the locking EZ Riders to attach to my side rail in a fashion I was comfortable with. Side to side, they were rock solid, but ended up being able to rock them fore/aft more than I liked. The contour of the EZ Rider base does not match the OEM side rail very well, and you end up with only a few points of contact when you look up under the rubber pad. Not sure if there are different contours between the locking and non-locking EZ Rider towers? I may just end up with OEM bars for the few times I use the rack.

Yakima EZ rider mount on OEM GX 460 side rail
that’s odd. I had a roof top tent on mine for months with no issues. It’s not on the truck now (we are in the process of moving) or I could go take some photos for you. Ours were very solid.
Old 04-10-21, 07:50 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

You probably need to loosen them and retighten again. Do them evenly and don’t tighten the bars too much until everything lines up.
Old 04-10-21, 11:33 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
You probably need to loosen them and retighten again. Do them evenly and don’t tighten the bars too much until everything lines up.
Yeah, there is no way. In order to get a more conforming to the side rail, the openings for the cross bars are pointed down towards the middle of the roof.

Last edited by azfj60; 04-11-21 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 10:54 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

That’s strange. I removed and reinstalled mine at least 8-10 times since I had them and they fit well.
There’s a little tab at the bottom that slot into the rail’s channel, make sure that it’s slotted it and not stuck on the rails and push it up. You may have to play with the sequence of tighten the bolts for the bars and the towers.
azfj60 (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 07:23 PM
azfj60
Rookie

Default Is there a difference between locking and non?

That’s strange. I removed and reinstalled mine at least 8-10 times since I had them and they fit well.
There’s a little tab at the bottom that slot into the rail’s channel, make sure that it’s slotted it and not stuck on the rails and push it up. You may have to play with the sequence of tighten the bolts for the bars and the towers.
Here's what mine look like off the truck. Obviously the metal clip goes in the slot, but at the only angle it fits, the plastic base appears almost 45° "off".

Old 04-12-21, 08:47 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

It looks like your towers are missing the soft rubber pads on the bottom?
Old 04-12-21, 01:26 PM
azfj60
Rookie

It looks like your towers are missing the soft rubber pads on the bottom?
I have the pads. I just took them off for the picture. They don't help with the fact that the load-bearing surface is all wrong, they just hide that fact. They don't come anywhere close to filling in the gap. Going to go with some GX 470 side rails and re-use the Yakima setup from my 100-series.
Old 07-15-21, 06:12 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I moved the awning to the Yakima bars using the same clamps. Very sturdy. I may push one end of the bars further out and mount the awning a bit outside. Right now I think I still have enough room for the Load Warrior basket or the Skybox 18.

I made the move from OEM bars to the Yakima EZ Riders as well. What is the make, model of the awning clamps you have ?
Old 07-15-21, 08:55 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Mine were homemade but they are similar to these. The interior opening is oval but I can still clamp them to the round bars as long as the bolts are long enough

https://sbeprecision.com/product/toy...ights-awnings/

Originally Posted by Joot95
I made the move from OEM bars to the Yakima EZ Riders as well. What is the make, model of the awning clamps you have ?
Old 07-15-21, 09:22 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

Mine were homemade but they are similar to these. The interior opening is oval but I can still clamp them to the round bars as long as the bolts are long enough

https://sbeprecision.com/product/toy...ights-awnings/

Thanks for the info. I just got the NAPA awning fir $100. I get a RTT coming in August. I need to find a way to attach the NAPA awning to the round Yakima bars.
Old 07-15-21, 04:17 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

You can probably use the hose clamps to hold the awning L bracket to the round bars

Originally Posted by Joot95
Thanks for the info. I just got the NAPA awning fir $100. I get a RTT coming in August. I need to find a way to attach the NAPA awning to the round Yakima bars.
Old 07-15-21, 05:32 PM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

You can probably use the hose clamps to hold the awning L bracket to the round bars

I got the Awning Mounting Kit for Rack Bars from https://www.gowesty.com/product/awni...-for-rack-bars.

bbqsoup (07-15-21)
Old 07-22-21, 08:08 PM
GXMilton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00130 vs 00137 EZ Rider

I found 2 models on ebay. 00137 and 00130. Can anyone remember the model number you successfully installed on your GX?

Quick Reply: Yakima EZ Rider Tower