GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Yakima EZ Rider Tower

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 04:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Yakima EZ Rider Tower

I finally had some time to install the Yakima EZ Rider towers that I purchased on eBay. The installation process is straightforward just like
most Yakima towers installation. I had to remove the awning from the roof but didn’t remove the stock bars.
The fit is really good and they clamp to the flush stock rails really tight. Once I tighten them up, I couldn’t get them to
move at all by grabbing and shaking the crossbars. I thought I would need a 58” bars but I reused my old 48” bars and they are perfect.
Like most Yakima roundbars on all my cars, there’s some wind noise at speed above 60mph but it isn’t bad. I think
because I also have the stock bars on top, it created more noise than usual.
This setup raise the bar high enough that the Skybox mounts would definitely clear the roof for those that are looking for that.

Some pics.

Last edited by bbqsoup; 05-27-19 at 05:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
ltsr (05-27-19), malmon (05-27-19), spd33 (05-28-19), xplorr (05-27-19)
Old 05-29-19, 06:12 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW! That looks like a great fit! Thanks for testing these outt. As long as someone can source them, this is the best fitament I've seen w/ the OEM rails.
Old 05-29-19, 11:52 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Yes they fit better than I expected. There's quite a bit of clearance of the metal hooks and the roof, more than the RailGrab towers. The plastic side come close to the roof but I couldn't get it to bulge by pressing hard down on the bar and tower. It could easily be grind off a bit if there's a concern.

I ended up with 2 sets of these when I put a bid in and forgot about it lol.

There are a few of them on eBay for pretty good price.
The following users liked this post:
spd33 (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 12:19 PM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Does make you wonder why they abandoned this design as it seems FAR superior to the RailGrabs for this type of attachment mechanism.
Old 08-27-19, 12:45 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I moved the awning to the Yakima bars using the same clamps. Very sturdy. I may push one end of the bars further out and mount the awning a bit outside. Right now I think I still have enough room for the Load Warrior basket or the Skybox 18.

John00 (08-27-19)
Old 10-04-19, 09:36 AM
Rufio
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ez rider

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Yes they fit better than I expected. There's quite a bit of clearance of the metal hooks and the roof, more than the RailGrab towers. The plastic side come close to the roof but I couldn't get it to bulge by pressing hard down on the bar and tower. It could easily be grind off a bit if there's a concern.

I ended up with 2 sets of these when I put a bid in and forgot about it lol.

There are a few of them on eBay for pretty good price.

A few months later are you still happy with this set up? Did you sell the second set or do you still have it? I’m about to list my factory bars for sale.
Old 10-04-19, 10:50 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Yes I do like them. They are more versatile than the stock bars as I can mount all my Yakima stuffs on it without having to worry about different clamps and if it touching the roof. With just these bars on the roof, they are louder than the OEM bars, but when you load up stuffs on them, I couldn't tell any differences with all that wind noise.

Another poster on GXOR got 4 of them and mounted a roof tent on it too. Looks very stable.

I still have the second set but they are missing the rubber pieces at the bottom. I didn't pay attention when I bid on them and only realized that after received them.

Originally Posted by Rufio
A few months later are you still happy with this set up? Did you sell the second set or do you still have it? I’m about to list my factory bars for sale.
Old 10-04-19, 11:03 AM
Rufio
Driver

Default Tower

Yes I do like them. They are more versatile than the stock bars as I can mount all my Yakima stuffs on it without having to worry about different clamps and if it touching the roof. With just these bars on the roof, they are louder than the OEM bars, but when you load up stuffs on them, I couldn't tell any differences with all that wind noise.

Another poster on GXOR got 4 of them and mounted a roof tent on it too. Looks very stable.

I still have the second set but they are missing the rubber pieces at the bottom. I didn't pay attention when I bid on them and only realized that after received them.
Thats great info! I’ll probably pull the trigger on some here shortly. There are a few on eBay that I’ve got my eye on.

thanks again!
bbqsoup (10-04-19)
Old 10-06-19, 09:58 AM
Rufio
Driver

I ended up finding some 58" bars locally for $60 brand new. I'll buy the towers here today. I appreciate your help!
Old 10-06-19, 10:12 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I moved the awning to the Yakima bars using the same clamps. Very sturdy. I may push one end of the bars further out and mount the awning a bit outside. Right now I think I still have enough room for the Load Warrior basket or the Skybox 18.
did you ever get around to pushing the 48” bars out? I’m wondering if they’re long enough
Old 10-06-19, 11:43 AM
Rufio
Driver

Originally Posted by ltsr
did you ever get around to pushing the 48” bars out? I’m wondering if they’re long enough
48s don’t seem like they would be long enough. I bought 58s so I would have room for a tent and an awning come spring.
ltsr (10-06-19)
Old 04-05-21, 10:14 AM
douplas
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

thinking of going this route for a cargo carrier. seems like an affordable option.
Old 04-05-21, 12:48 PM
Rufio
Driver

Originally Posted by douplas
thinking of going this route for a cargo carrier. seems like an affordable option.
it’s very affordable. I’m happy with the set up.
Old 04-05-21, 01:56 PM
2010GX460
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the OEM GX cross bars on my 2010 but I went with the EZ Riders w/ 58" bars for my Wife's 2016. Craigslist special. I get a whistle when her's is up to speed, mine are a bit louder because of the kayak rack. Its a much cheaper option and like you mentioned, no touching the roof on heavier loads. Will buy a roof mounted box soon and use on the Yakima for longer trips as they are just more stable than the OEM crossbars.
Rufio (04-05-21)
Old 04-06-21, 05:15 AM
douplas
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered the EZ riders yesterday from Ebay for $77.50 . I also found a yakima fairing, bike mount, and bars locally for $65. Now I need to find a cargo box and Ill be set.

Quick Reply: Yakima EZ Rider Tower