GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 07:24 AM
TeeRoj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight issues on 2012 GX 460

Passenger headlights (both the HID and the other one) go out at times, HID flickers at times. There are a ton of different part numbers for the HID, prices go from $20-$150, not sure which one I need. Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-18, 02:14 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Try this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...?highlight=HID

use the Forum Search and there are several listing HID or LED or Halogen if that is what you want.
Old 02-28-18, 06:02 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

HIDs that flicker or go out at times is often caused by the ballast, but if your high beam is flickering as well it could be another issue with the wiring harness or something.

I'd start by swapping the bulbs between the two sides. If the issues stay on the passenger side then you know it isn't the bulbs and it is most likely the ballast or wiring harness.
Old 02-28-18, 07:01 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

How is the color of the light output when you turn them on? If you have shades of pink, it is a possible indication that the bulb is on its way out. Also, if the light goes out completely, you can usually get it back by turning the lights off then back off. Just went through this on my LS430 and ended up replacing both bulbs.

If you're replacing the bulbs, use Philips D4S bulbs, $41 each from Amazon for OEM quality bulbs... and make sure you DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS part of the bulb.
Old 02-28-18, 07:11 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

TeeRoj,
What do you mean by "the other one"? The high beams? If so, it may be a connection issue or wiring.

I'm not sure if the 2010-2013 have the ballast powering both the high beam and low beam. The ballast itself could be on its way out. You can replace them with OEM or aftermarket depending on your budget.

Simple way to trouble shoot would be to swap the parts over from driver side one by one to eliminate non-issues.
Old 03-12-18, 09:18 PM
TeeRoj
Driver School Candidate

Default Troubleshooting So Far

So I've swapped the daytime running lights, I believe those are the HID's. That part was easy so I started with that, so far it hasn't gone out. The low beam does still go out on the passenger side. When it was happening before swapping the daytime running lights, sometimes it was just one passenger bulb, other times it was both passenger bulbs (low beam and daytime running light). Also, the daytime running lights flickered at times. Hoping to see something soon to determine if it's now happening on the driver's side (pointing to a bulb), or if it's still passenger side, pointing to something else. The passenger low beam does look a different shade so I'm hoping both of these bulbs are the issue and a quick replacement will resolve, time will tell. Thank you all for your replies, I'm monitoring it until it happens again. I need to swap the low beams but they're on a swivel in a case. I got the case open, but not familiar with removal and don't want to break them. Will have a friend take a look once I determine status of the daytime bulbs now that they've been swapped. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 04-04-18, 06:20 AM
TeeRoj
Driver School Candidate

I bought two HID DS4 bulbs for $54 total and put them in, problem solved and they look great! Thanks everyone.
Old 01-22-19, 10:43 AM
adriankz7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Lexus GX460 - Ballast replacement

Hi, new here. Headlights will intermittently flicker and or turnoff. They turn back on again when I then turn headlights off and on again. I thought it would be ballast issues, but yesterday, they both went out at the same time, which tells me it's not ballast because highly unlikely two separate ballasts would fail at the same time. Any thoughts as to what would cause the problems? Full beam has no problems.

If it was still a ballast issue, how difficult to install replacement ballasts? I see multiple youtube videos on replacing ballasts in IS models, and it looks like a real pain involving removal of bumpers etc. Anyone know what's involved in replacing ballast on GX460?

So, is it likely a ballast issue, and if so how difficult to get to the ballasts in GX460?

Thanks in advance!
-Adrian
Old 01-22-19, 11:06 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Are they original HID bulbs? How do you determine it was the ballast instead of the bulbs?
Old 01-22-19, 04:27 PM
adriankz7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sonny,
I just assumed since they were still working i..e when they are on, they are fully on, that it couldn't be a bulb - thinking they would either work or they wouldn't, so my thinking is that it had to be a power issue upline of the bulbs, which lead me to the ballast. Not correct?

One bulb is original, one is OEM replacement I believe.

Also, most of what I read when "googling" flickering head lights that will also intermittently go on and off, listed ballasts as the #1 culprit.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (01-23-19)
Old 01-22-19, 06:51 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

As you can see from one of my pics, yes, you will need to loosen the bumper since it's attached to one of the clips below the headlight. I ended up replacing the passenger side headlamp unit (I have adaptive headlights) + ballast + installation (done elsewhere at a non-Lexus dealer) for $1,200. The parts were purchase at my local Lexus dealer when Lexus had a Black Friday sale. My ballast was shot due to the headlight accumulating moisture. Obliviously, this occurred over a period of time. I hope that helps.
Acrad (01-23-19)
Old 01-24-19, 06:53 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by adriankz7
Hi, new here. Headlights will intermittently flicker and or turnoff. They turn back on again when I then turn headlights off and on again. I thought it would be ballast issues, but yesterday, they both went out at the same time, which tells me it's not ballast because highly unlikely two separate ballasts would fail at the same time. Any thoughts as to what would cause the problems? Full beam has no problems.

If it was still a ballast issue, how difficult to install replacement ballasts? I see multiple youtube videos on replacing ballasts in IS models, and it looks like a real pain involving removal of bumpers etc. Anyone know what's involved in replacing ballast on GX460?

So, is it likely a ballast issue, and if so how difficult to get to the ballasts in GX460?

Thanks in advance!
-Adrian

hid systems convert the 12v to much higher. the OEM has a better ballast design, and can use a lower voltage to start up. so, one issue can be in the cold, or with a low battery, or a connector, relay, other harness issue there's problems on start up, and turning them on and off then back on gets them going. this is usually seen with aftermarket ballast on vehicles that werent originally equipped with hids. a workaround when this happens on new aftermarket installs is to add a relay/harness. the hid startup current can cause a voltage dip that the aftermarket ballasts cant use, but an oem can because of the better electronics.
some aftermarket hid bulbs wont work with some oem ballasts. the bulbs will flicker, zap, smell, etc. this wont be intermittent for the most part, should catch this right away.

check the relays to the ballasts for the resistance. also consider putting dielectric grease, like spark plug conductive grease, on all contacts and terminals.
if you have a scope, put it on the ballast input side to see what happens when the lights go off.
the hid high voltage terminals can spark when not having good contact. this makes heat, which increases resistance, makes more sparks, then you get a burnt hid bulb connector, which can cause flicker. at the threshold of resistance and burn spots, this can happen intermittently.

bulb check
Before performing the following inspection procedure, turn off the discharge headlight bulbs for more than 10 minutes to allow them to cool down sufficiently.
HINT:Since it is necessary to find the cause of a malfunction that causes a discharge headlight bulb not to turn on, the discharge headlight bulbs should be inspected starting from a cooled off state.
b.Check 1.
i.Turn on the discharge headlights for more than 25 minutes, and check that the bulbs illuminate normally while they are turned on.
HINT:•Leave the headlights on for more than 25 minutes to stabilize the discharge headlight bulb arc tube voltage.
•A discharge headlight bulb that has almost reached the end of its life may turn off due to a headlight control ECU socket fail-safe function because the arc tube voltage is high.
c.Check 2.
i.Repeatedly turn the discharge headlights off for 15 seconds and on for 15 seconds (5 times each). Check that the bulbs illuminate normally.
HINT:This inspection confirms the ability of the bulbs to illuminate when hot.
d.Check 3.
i.Turn off the discharge headlights for 3 minutes, and then turn on the discharge headlights for 3 minutes. Check that the bulbs illuminate normally when they are turned on.
HINT:•A characteristic of discharge headlight bulbs is that their starting voltage is highest when 3 minutes have elapsed after being turned off. This is the most difficult situation for discharge bulbs to illuminate in.
•This inspection is further confirmation of the ability of the bulbs to illuminate when hot.
Check 4.
i.Remove the discharge headlight bulb and perform a visual inspection of the arc tube.
Standard:The inside of the arc tube is not bulging or deformed and is not clouded. However, a dull brown coloration inside the arc tube is normal.

b is bad

if you are into swapnostics, the bulbs are easy to change out. bulbs also have a high weibull beta, this means that they have less stress-life variance. thats a fancy way to say that two failing after the same amount of use is common, and this is why it is recommended to change bulb pairs at the same time. for hid this also helps with color change. changing in pairs should be done for markers, halogens, etc.
11GX460 (01-26-19)
Old 01-24-19, 06:58 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 11GX460

As you can see from one of my pics, yes, you will need to loosen the bumper since it's attached to one of the clips below the headlight. I ended up replacing the passenger side headlamp unit (I have adaptive headlights) + ballast + installation (done elsewhere at a non-Lexus dealer) for $1,200. The parts were purchase at my local Lexus dealer when Lexus had a Black Friday sale. My ballast was shot due to the headlight accumulating moisture. Obliviously, this occurred over a period of time. I hope that helps.

Did you change this yourself? also did you find any reason that the moisture got inside? ive got one here, not worthy to reseal, but yours might be.
Old 01-25-19, 04:22 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I did not change it myself since I knew it required loosening of half the front bumper or removal of the entire bumper. I took it to one a local auto body shop to have them not only replace the headlamp unit (with genuine Lexus parts, which I supplied), but I needed them to "re-align" the front bumper a bit. Those with a 2010 - 2013 should know what I am talking about.

I've tried resealing the top of the headlamp a few years back, and it did work temporarily, but once the moisture returned, I just figured it was time for a new one. Now, the passenger side headlight is brand new, nice and clear, while the driver side is noticeably slightly older.

Btw, thanks for your comprehensive write-up on the workings of HIDs units.
Old 01-25-19, 04:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by 11GX460
I took it to one a local auto body shop to have them not only replace the headlamp unit (with genuine Lexus parts, which I supplied), but I needed them to "re-align" the front bumper a bit. Those with a 2010 - 2013 should know what I am talking about.

This?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ender-gap.html

I haven't been hit with it yet but nailed my bumper pretty bad spring last year but issue above hasn't cropped up yet. I did have to drill out the rivets on the right mount that attaches plastic bumper to the aluminum bumper and add bolts and nuts to it though.
11GX460 (01-26-19)

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements