GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 02:40 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

What procedure are you planning to use to assure that your headlights are properly aimed?
Old 12-27-19, 04:17 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
What procedure are you planning to use to assure that your headlights are properly aimed?
The first step is to find out if it’s possible. The second is taping lines on the wall on flat ground about 20 feet in front of the Lexus. Then doing the adjustment and raising them up an inch or so and taking it for a drive.
Old 12-27-19, 04:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Is there an official or legal way to adjust the lights to assure they are properly aimed? Large SUV or low sports car will vary so I am thinking a higher headlight would need to be aimed down and a lower car would get the wider angle of the headlight.

Ehh?
The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (12-27-19)
Old 12-27-19, 05:15 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

One suggestion: https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/T...djustment-835/
Old 12-27-19, 05:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
I know you know the legalities involved, whats the best way?
Old 12-27-19, 06:04 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Agarakon
The first step is to find out if it’s possible. The second is taping lines on the wall on flat ground about 20 feet in front of the Lexus. Then doing the adjustment and raising them up an inch or so and taking it for a drive.
Not quite, but you've got the idea.

Originally Posted by tecman
Is there an official or legal way to adjust the lights to assure they are properly aimed? Large SUV or low sports car will vary so I am thinking a higher headlight would need to be aimed down and a lower car would get the wider angle of the headlight.

Ehh?
Yep. The procedure below should work for most vehicles.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I know you know the legalities involved, whats the best way?
Aside from having the lights aimed via a machine, this is probably the best method. The link goes to a PDF. You'll need tape, tape measure, level, markers and a flat spot leading to a perfectly vertical wall. A shopping center/store parking lot is probably a good place, but talk to the owners first or you may find yourself surrounded by flashing blue lights. You cannot use your garage because every driveway is sloped

Are these aimed via techstream (like VAG [VW]) or is it mechanical via one screw per headlight?

In the US and Canada, you are not allowed to aim the low/high beams separately.

I suspect that you'll find that the headlights are already aimed properly unless somebody has already messed with them.

Last edited by cb1111; 12-27-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 09:57 PM
JonGX
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

There are adjustment screws to change the vertical level of the beams. It’s in the FSM
Old 12-28-19, 07:26 AM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonGX
There are adjustment screws to change the vertical level of the beams. It’s in the FSM
Yes you are correct but it is for the non-leveling headlights without motors.
Old 12-30-19, 08:36 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

This has been discussed at length in other threads without any real solutions that I could find.

I have a Premium and the lights have leveling motors in them that I would like to leave in place.

Is there a way to adjust the sensor linkage on the suspension to change the height of the headlights? Has anyone done it this way? I don’t want to remove the motor system the auto levels the lights, I would prefer to dial it in.

Thanks in advance!

do you have adjustable height on the vehicle?
Old 12-30-19, 11:22 AM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John00
do you have adjustable height on the vehicle?
Yes I do. I know there is a suspension part that is adjustable for level, I just need to locate it on the vehicle. It is called the Headlight Level Sensor Rear Right, eBay link: https://ebay.to/39pyLaV

I know its adjustable, look at the assembly.

Old 12-30-19, 11:37 AM
John00
Racer

not sure thats a good way to adjust lights. those are usually connected between the body and the rear axle passenger side. some vehicles have 2, one front and one rear.
if theres only one, and you have auto light level and auto vehicle level, then theres some cancellation that happens when you tap into that potentiometer.

are you trying to add a **** like the older hid lights had?
Old 12-30-19, 11:57 AM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

This is what I have been able to dig up. I would think an minor adjustment in the ride height sensor would have a positive change in the height of the headlights. Am I wrong about this?

Old 12-30-19, 12:21 PM
John00
Racer

depends on how many height sensors there are and how they are connected to the light leveling.
on one vehicle i researched, there was only one height sensor which was tied to both. this meant that when the sensor was adjusted, the vehicle thought it needed to readjust the height and the light at the same time. so the vehicle would end up at a different height but the relative light angle didnt change - no added light on the road.
on a potentially previously damaged vehicle 1/8" washers were added under the housing assy to slightly raise the front of the assy.

on another lexus vehicle without auto height adjust, a **** potentiometer in the dash was used in place of the sensor to adjust the light level. this had been used on toyotas for a long time, especially the trucks.

first make sure that they are actually low per the correct aiming/check procedure. maybe theres something going on? need to make sure that the cutoff is correct and that you wont be raising it high enough to be a problem.

Old 12-30-19, 01:32 PM
Agarakon
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree and my concern is that adjusting this sensor will not change the headlight vertical adjustment. The leveling motor in the light might compensate for any changes I make, but I just don't know without trying?

This might all be a wash in the end, but I will try it out and let everyone know how it turns out.

Last edited by Agarakon; 12-30-19 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-19, 02:00 PM
John00
Racer

Yes you are correct but it is for the non-leveling headlights without motors.
im not sure having the motors changes how the lights are adjusted. cant you just turn the light adjustment?

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements