GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 04:22 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
im not sure having the motors changes how the lights are adjusted. cant you just turn the light adjustment?
Yeah, my gut reaction is the same. That said, I know that VAG (VW group) uses their version of Techstream to adjust the vertical adjustment - but I somehow doubt it.
Old 12-31-19, 07:04 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

im unsure of what vehicle and year this is about. the gx ive worked on with levelers all have had the adjustment screw. theres a few threads with the pics.
heres a pic of the leveler motor. the controller board gets the signal downstream of the sensor. the motor itself doesnt sense height.

Old 01-02-20, 06:22 PM
OCGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

When I lifted mine (2014 without airbags), I adjusted the rear height sensor to the max length. This made a noticeable difference. Before the headlights were aimed way too high. Now they are just annoyingly a little too high.
The Headlight swivel ECU behind the dash has an initialization process that I have not tried yet.
Old 10-18-20, 02:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Mod to add high HIDs to 10-13 AFS enclosures but useful resource pics of disassembled unit

https://www.drive2.ru/b/1613912/

The following users liked this post:
John00 (01-02-22)
Old 02-08-21, 07:00 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headlight bulb replacement

I feel like a noob, but I'm trying to replace the low beams and want to make sure I'm not making this more difficult than it needs to be. I was fiddling with them yesterday and it looks like I have to take the bumper off and remove the headlight to have access to get the bulb out? I tried to get to the bulb but I can't get the clips off with the angle I'm working at. I've tried searching but not coming up with a lot. Any input?
Old 02-08-21, 01:41 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

You can change the low and high beams without taking any bodywork off. I was able to change out both with only minimum trouble since I have large hands. It takes a little dexterity and fiddling but it’s possible. Keep fiddling!
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
Acrad (02-08-21), WRD4chano (02-08-21)
Old 02-09-21, 09:28 AM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I'll take a look later and see if I can get my sausages in there. Didn't have an issues with the high's just the low/DRL. In the case of the ballast being bad then the headlight ahs to come out though correct?
Old 04-14-21, 02:48 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Consensus on HID Low Beam Replacement?

One of my HID Low Beam bulbs went out and trying to decide if I should get LEDs or stick with HID. I'm seeing a lot of off-brand LED bulbs from amazon and VLED's Low Beam LED requires drilling through the cover which I don't want to do.

Should I go with the Morimoto XB HID bulbs or swap to LEDs?

I basically work out of my GX and while I'm on site I'll have to quickly toggle ACC power on to roll down the windows, or ACC on for a bit to charge my phone/laptop or run the car for 5 to 10 minutes to run the A/C. I think doing that, and with my headlights on auto, is what killed the bulb so thinking I might benefit from LEDs.
Old 04-14-21, 04:21 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
One of my HID Low Beam bulbs went out and trying to decide if I should get LEDs or stick with HID. I'm seeing a lot of off-brand LED bulbs from amazon and VLED's Low Beam LED requires drilling through the cover which I don't want to do.

Should I go with the Morimoto XB HID bulbs or swap to LEDs?

I basically work out of my GX and while I'm on site I'll have to quickly toggle ACC power on to roll down the windows, or ACC on for a bit to charge my phone/laptop or run the car for 5 to 10 minutes to run the A/C. I think doing that, and with my headlights on auto, is what killed the bulb so thinking I might benefit from LEDs.
Look ... so many of these LED bulb suppliers can deliver lumen output galore, but the bottom line is all about alignment ... meaning, is the light source in the right location relative to the reflector / lens assembly to preserve the proper forward light distribution / pattern on the road. My take ... either purchase from Lexus or Sylvania, or another major bulb manufacturer who actually knows what they are doing versus some one-off LED internet (made in China) 1,000% markup operation. Yes, they are bright ... but !#!
Ramacher (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 04:31 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Look ... so many of these LED bulb suppliers can deliver lumen output galore, but the bottom line is all about alignment ... meaning, is the light source in the right location relative to the reflector / lens assembly to preserve the proper forward light distribution / pattern on the road. My take ... either purchase from Lexus or Sylvania, or another major bulb manufacturer who actually knows what they are doing versus some one-off LED internet (made in China) 1,000% markup operation. Yes, they are bright ... but !#!
Exactly. Stick with a proper HID bulb. Your beam will be focused and won't blind oncoming traffic. I upgraded my D4S HID low-beam on the ISF to the Osram Night Breaker Laser Xenarc (NBL for short). One of the brightest (if not the brightest), high-quality and reliable HID bulbs on the market. They are fantastic.
Ramacher (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 05:02 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by M4rk
Exactly. Stick with a proper HID bulb. Your beam will be focused and won't blind oncoming traffic. I upgraded my D4S HID low-beam on the ISF to the Osram Night Breaker Laser Xenarc (NBL for short). One of the brightest (if not the brightest), high-quality and reliable HID bulbs on the market. They are fantastic.
Sylvania = Osram = reputable bulb manufacturer !
Ramacher (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 08:20 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Yeah I'm aware you can't just throw LEDs in just because they fit and there's more to it then that regarding the projection, which is why I have been hesitant to get LEDs.

Originally Posted by M4rk
Thank you, ended up buying a pair of Osram NBL 66440XNL from HID Concepts which has 15% off and free shipping.
Piney1 (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21, 04:21 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Yeah I'm aware you can't just throw LEDs in just because they fit and there's more to it then that regarding the projection, which is why I have been hesitant to get LEDs.

Thank you, ended up buying a pair of Osram NBL 66440XNL from HID Concepts which has 15% off and free shipping.
Happy to help, I hope you like them. They should get brighter with use as HID bulbs apparently have a break-in period. While I never ended up taking proper 'after' photos to compare to the OE Philips (?) bulbs, the kelvin temperature seemed slightly higher, but without any hint of blue (this was my preference).
Piney1 (04-15-21)
Old 04-15-21, 08:29 PM
BigLClub
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone tried these:
Amazon Amazon

For the price($27) and they are made in Germany seem like a good deal.?

Thx
Old 04-16-21, 07:36 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigLClub
Has anyone tried these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...H7SGLFN2&psc=1

For the price($27) and they are made in Germany seem like a good deal.?

Thx
"Replacement D4S" sounds like a mystery supplier / manufacturer to me. Beyond that, the majority of legitimate manufacturers will honor warranties only if sold by one of their "approved distributors" ... so Amazon is not a great place to purchase. Been burned purchasing mainstream products from Amazon where the warranty coverage was rejected for this very reason.

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements