GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 09:55 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the high beams were never HID in any GX 460 that i know of. the low beams were HID up until 2014, and from there LEDs were used with halogen high beams until of course last year when the whole headlight is now LED.
i would replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs. they are brighter and match the color of low beams. the pattern however will not be same as the halogens and tend to be more focused in center vs halogens which broaden the light due to reflector.
the leds on amzn are dirt cheap and good imho.

Last edited by T4Fun; 04-16-21 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 02:07 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
the high beams were never HID in any GX 460 that i know of. the low beams were HID up until 2014, and from there LEDs were used with halogen high beams until of course last year when the whole headlight is now LED.
i would replace the halogen hid with LEDs. they are brighter and match the color of low beams. the pattern however will not be same as the halogens and tend to be more focused in center vs halogens which broaden the light due to reflector.
the leds on amzn are dirt cheap and good imho.
Sorry, but that is probably the worst advise I have ever heard ... "i would replace the halogen hid with LEDs. they are brighter and match the color of low beams. the pattern however will not be same as the halogens and tend to be more focused in center vs halogens which broaden the light due to reflector. the leds on amzn are dirt cheap and good imh"

Restated ... "buy cheap-*** bulbs that do not have the proper focal location ... but hey, they are bright and match the color". Beyond that advise, which random "mystery manufacturer" LED bulbs on Amazon do you specifically recommend ?

Last edited by ASE; 04-16-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 04:14 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramacher
Yeah I'm aware you can't just throw LEDs in just because they fit and there's more to it then that regarding the projection, which is why I have been hesitant to get LEDs.

Thank you, ended up buying a pair of Osram NBL 66440XNL from HID Concepts which has 15% off and free shipping.
if you can, please update with post install pictures with the new bulb and the old one before and after warm up.
Old 04-16-21, 07:05 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by ASE
Sorry, but that is probably the worst advise I have ever heard ... "i would replace the halogen hid with LEDs. they are brighter and match the color of low beams. the pattern however will not be same as the halogens and tend to be more focused in center vs halogens which broaden the light due to reflector. the leds on amzn are dirt cheap and good imh"

Restated ... "buy cheap-*** bulbs that do not have the proper focal location ... but hey, they are bright and match the color". Beyond that advise, which random "mystery manufacturer" LED bulbs on Amazon do you specifically recommend ?

its advice, not advise. and its based off my own experience dude.
learn english btw
keep your silly comments to yourself. you sound like u should be on 4 runner. org.
the mentality here boggles my mind.
Old 04-16-21, 07:14 PM
T4Fun
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...igh-beams.html
Old 04-16-21, 07:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Please keep it civil.
Old 04-21-21, 08:23 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
if you can, please update with post install pictures with the new bulb and the old one before and after warm up.
Installed them last night and only tested in my parking garage. I took some photos but I've hit my upload limit on this forum.

Initial observation is they are definitely white vs the stock Toshiba (Harrison D4S) which had a slight blue tint to them. That's assuming the bulbs in my car were OEM and not counterfeit.

When I got the car I had to adjust the headlights to aim higher because at night they weren't covering more than 1 to 1.5 car lengths in front of me. With the new bulbs it seems like I'm going to have to lower them, but again that's just from testing in a parking garage.
Old 04-21-21, 09:26 AM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a '13 and the lows are terrible. I am hoping it is just do to cloudy plastic which I just restored late yesterday with a Meguiars kit. Looks way clearer, but if that doesn't work - any suggestions on a brighter complainant bulb, assuming there is any, I could switch to?
Old 04-21-21, 12:03 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

i havent seen an aftermarket LED that is as good as a good HID bulb with the OEM ballasts for intensity or throw in that low beam application. if you think there is one, I'd really like to see some test data. consider that some tests will only measure at one spot, at one distance. this isnt always a problem just realize that a misfocused emitter at a certain distance can have a higher value in that measured location, while the lower value bulb actually gives more light. lighting up the trees might seem brighter, but its usually just misplaced light that is not hitting the road or in front where you need it.

HID in the high beam will have issues if you try with the DRL. also the illumination delay might not be acceptable to some
you can get LEDs that you like better for the high beams. need to get one with the same emitter location and heat pipe thickness for the focus to be similar. the old hikaris used to specify 0.8mm.
bulbfacts website charts have some relative and absolute value test data charts for parameter comparisons, note that the results will differ slightly from use in the gx housing.

be careful with generic HID bulbs. there can be differences that can cause failed ignitions and damage your system. another issue ive seen is the contacts of generic bulbs not being as good, and generating heat or creating arcs that damage some connectors at the high voltage connection.

theres a cellphone app or two you can use to make relative measurements when switching out bulbs. remember that how and where you measure can affect the results more than the bulbs actual performance.

The following users liked this post:
SteveInCal (04-23-21)
Old 09-29-21, 11:31 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

On one of the FB GX 460 groups

"10-13 Morimoto Led retrofit w/afs."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/47722...56230248455563

Old 12-16-21, 06:22 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

i just want to confirm that adjustments being made affect the hid's and not the high beams? i swapped out my ballast and now that headlight is pointed to the moon.

Old 12-17-21, 02:44 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

You’d have to remove the gearbox in post #3 to get individual adjust between high and lows. I’ve never personally adjusted mine.. just swapped halogen highs to LEDs and replaced my low HID bulbs, Neither required me to re-aim.
Old 01-02-22, 09:47 AM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

ballast swap wont affect aim. junky bulbs will. so will misaligned bulb installation. if aftermarket bulbs that arent oem, you might get small effects if you use antiglare coated bulb vs not coated. and some cheapos have issues with where the wire is positioned.
Old 01-03-22, 06:38 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by John00
ballast swap wont affect aim. junky bulbs will. so will misaligned bulb installation. if aftermarket bulbs that arent oem, you might get small effects if you use antiglare coated bulb vs not coated. and some cheapos have issues with where the wire is positioned.
i failed to line up the reflector correctly, and just screwed it back in. it pushed up on the fixture that moves the bulb causing the beam to shoot for the moon. $350 later all good.

couldve gone back and corrected it but the temps outside are too low.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (01-04-22)
Old 02-10-22, 07:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Laser conversion for 10-13 HIDs

https://evo-design.kh.ua/catalog/bi-led-linzy/3.html

https://evo-design.kh.ua/

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/22/how-...adlights-work/

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 AFS HID headlight adjustments,conversions,component replacements