GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Motorcycle carrier on 2nd Gen GX 460?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 07:59 AM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Motorcycle carrier on 2nd Gen GX 460?

Please let me know if anyone carried a 500lb motorcylce on a motorcycle hitch carrier? I have a 2013 GX460 premium with adaptive suspension and factory towing package, wondering if it is safe to carry a 500lb motorcyle. Please suggest.
Old 06-18-19, 08:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by iwinvarma
Please let me know if anyone carried a 500lb motorcylce on a motorcycle hitch carrier? I have a 2013 GX460 premium with adaptive suspension and factory towing package, wondering if it is safe to carry a 500lb motorcyle. Please suggest.
Many times ... and on a 2005 Toyota 4-Runner V8 ... using a VersaHaul Carrier (that weighs 80-pounds) ... but never a 500 pound motorcycle.

What’s important to understand is that you should never exceed the tongue load rating for the hitch ... so you must subtract the weight of the carrier from the tongue load capacity AND also subtract for the distance (extension) of the carrier from the hitch receiver given the load is not applied at the receiver, but is applied about 10-12 inches out from the receiver (minimum) creating an additional moment of force on the receiver.

The suspension will have absolutely no problem ... it’s all about not exceeding the tongue load rating of the hitch, and compensating (in your load calculations) for the additional moment of force created by the load being extended out from the receiver.

Last edited by ASE; 06-18-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 09:25 AM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

I am looking to buy this motorcycle carrier https://www.discountramps.com/smc-60...er/p/SMC-600R/ below is the capacity and weight of the carrier
Maximum Capacity
600 lbs.
Weight
97 lbs.

and I have 2016 Yamaha XSR 900, I just looked at the weight, it weighs 430lbs stock

I am not sure about the tongue weight rating on 2013 GX 460 factory hitch Lexus website says maximum Towing Capacity 6,500 lbs. so assuming 10% of 6500lbs = 650lbs tongue weight capacity?

Here is what I found about 2013 GX 460 on lexus production information website
WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES
Curb Weight
GX 460: 5,305 lbs.
GX 460 Premium: 5,340 lbs.
GVWR 6,600 lbs.

Weight Distribution – Front/Rear 52/48
Maximum Towing Capacity 6,500 lbs.
Old 06-18-19, 10:05 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iwinvarma
I am looking to buy this motorcycle carrier https://www.discountramps.com/smc-60...er/p/SMC-600R/ below is the capacity and weight of the carrier
Maximum Capacity
600 lbs.
Weight
97 lbs.

and I have 2016 Yamaha XSR 900, I just looked at the weight, it weighs 430lbs stock

I am not sure about the tongue weight rating on 2013 GX 460 factory hitch Lexus website says maximum Towing Capacity 6,500 lbs. so assuming 10% of 6500lbs = 650lbs tongue weight capacity?

Here is what I found about 2013 GX 460 on lexus production information website
WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES
Curb Weight
GX 460: 5,305 lbs.
GX 460 Premium: 5,340 lbs.
GVWR 6,600 lbs.

Weight Distribution – Front/Rear 52/48
Maximum Towing Capacity 6,500 lbs.
Do you have the full-on Lexus OEM Hitch installed that has brackets attached to to the side frame rails ? ... and not just the Lexus OEM Receiver that is only attached to the rear cross member ? Verify exactly what you have, and then verify the tongue load capacity. Do not assume a tongue load capacity based on the towing capacity of the vehicle.

While many aluminum motorcycle carriers have a quoted 600-pound capacity, they are typically designed for use with Dirt Bikes that weigh 200-300 pounds. Many forum posts have commented that the aluminum carriers flex way too much for comfort when carrying a heavier street bike. Maybe not a capacity issue, but not very reassuring when looking in the rear view mirror going down the highway at 70 MPH and the bike is pitching all over the place.

So I purchased a VersaHaul Carrier ... all steel with a triangulated box design that has absolutely no flex, but it does weigh 75-odd pounds. Yes, their stated capacity is 500-pounds ... and even less based on their vehicle guide ... but their guide bases capacity on maintaining the suspension close enough to level to avoid the front end being raised and creating a safety issue due to compromised handling ... not an issue with self leveling suspension. Clearly this company errs on the conservative side when it comes to load rating(s) ... and having this product in my garage, no question that it is designed well beyond the stated capacity, and certainly stronger and significantly more rigid than any aluminum alternative.

Again, it's really more about the tongue load of the hitch being the limiting factor ... and load compensating for the center-line of the motorcycle being extended well out from the receiver.

Last edited by ASE; 06-18-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 12:05 PM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Thank you ASE! I think I have the full on Lexus OEM hitch installed. I see hitch is attached to side frame rails and also bolted in the center. I will check with dealership on the tongue weight rating. I also have self leveling suspension on my GX460. So hitch rating is the only thing i need to confirm at this point.

Regarding the motorcycle carrier, I contacted customer service they said SMC-600R motorcycle carrier is manufactured from heavy-duty steel with a rust-proof aluminum track. So only the highlighted part in the below picture is aluminum, it is bolted to a steel frame underneath. I am looking for 600LB capacity carriers just to be safe. Does VersaHaul have any 600lb capacity single motorcylce carriers? I found one VersaHaul with 600lb capacity but it was two motorcycle carrier and costs $750

Old 06-18-19, 12:59 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Whatever the manufacturer, I would call and have a direct conversation for a recommendation.

Make sure that whatever you get has a locking mechanism that snugs the receiver interface to eliminate rocking given the gap will allow for movement.

Choose carefully ... losing a bike off the back at highway speed is one thing, but then having it go through the windshield of a following car would be a liability disaster.

Also buy the best tie-downs available for the same reason. I also lock the bike frame to the hitch with a cable ... so if the bike falls off or the carrier fails, it will be dragged versus causing collateral damage.

Last edited by ASE; 06-18-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 01:40 PM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
Whatever the manufacturer, I would call and have a direct conversation for a recommendation.

Make sure that whatever you get has a locking mechanism that snugs the receiver interface to eliminate rocking given the gap will allow for movement.

Choose carefully ... losing a bike off the back at highway speed is one thing, but then having it go through the windshield of a following car would be a liability disaster.

Also buy the best tie-downs available for the same reason. I also lock the bike frame to the hitch with a cable ... so if the bike falls off or the carrier fails, it will be dragged versus causing collateral damage.
Sure! thanks for all your inputs! I will post some pictures once I have everything setup.
Old 06-18-19, 06:04 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If this is only a one-time use, I'd suggest just renting a trailer from U-Haul. Much simpler and probably less expensive.

Even if this is a multiple use situation, I'd prefer the trailer (rent or purchase) since a purchased trailer has other uses.
Old 06-18-19, 06:48 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mojlnir
If this is only a one-time use, I'd suggest just renting a trailer from U-Haul. Much simpler and probably less expensive.

Even if this is a multiple use situation, I'd prefer the trailer (rent or purchase) since a purchased trailer has other uses.
I considered the trailer option using the same logic, but did not want the storage hassle ... plus a trailer worth owning (with real sized wheels) is somewhat expensive.

The nice thing about the motorcycle carrier is that you can (ignoring the speed limit ) go 80-MPH where any trailer is limited to 65-MPH due to stability concerns.
Old 06-18-19, 06:51 PM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

ASE, you're right, of course.

But to deliver my son's bike from Denver to Dallas (as an example) a rental made sense.
Old 06-18-19, 06:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mojlnir
ASE, you're right, of course.

But to deliver my son's bike from Denver to Dallas (as an example) a rental made sense.
Agree ... the U-Haul option is great for a one-off need ... have done that in the past several times ... especially for one-way.
Old 06-18-19, 07:53 PM
ASE
Pole Position

A few last observations using a motorcycle carrier ...

The license plate will be invariably blocked from view by the motorcycle, so the carrier should have a license plate mount for relocation while carrying a motorcycle.

Same can be true for the brake lights and turn signals ... where some cops looking for an excuse to pull you over will make issue if only superficially blocked from view ... so some carriers have an add-on option for trailer lights and license plate light (that is a night time requirement).

Last edited by ASE; 06-18-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 12:44 PM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASE
A few last observations using a motorcycle carrier ...

The license plate will be invariably blocked from view by the motorcycle, so the carrier should have a license plate mount for relocation while carrying a motorcycle.

Same can be true for the brake lights and turn signals ... where some cops looking for an excuse to pull you over will make issue if only superficially blocked from view ... so some carriers have an add-on option for trailer lights and license plate light (that is a night time requirement).
Thanks ASE! I will order some brake lights/turn signals and number plate mount when I order motorcycle carrier.
Old 06-19-19, 02:06 PM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

I confirmed with dealership, the hitch has tongue weight rating of 650lbs. I am going with SMC-600R motorcycle carrier, it is rated at 600lbs.

Originally Posted by ASE
I considered the trailer option using the same logic, but did not want the storage hassle ... plus a trailer worth owning (with real sized wheels) is somewhat expensive.

The nice thing about the motorcycle carrier is that you can (ignoring the speed limit ) go 80-MPH where any trailer is limited to 65-MPH due to stability concerns.
Motorcycle carrier makes more sense to me than a trailer, I travel a lot and want to take my motorcycle and explore scenic routes in different states.

Thanks Mojlnir and ASE for your valuable inputs!
Old 11-21-19, 08:06 AM
iwinvarma
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to share some pictures of my setup. After multiple trips with my motorcycle on my GX, I feel GX is the best vehicle for a motorcycle carrier. It is stable, never felt that motorcycle is behind my vehicle unless I look in the rear view mirror. Enjoyed all my trips! longest trip was about 600 miles.

Installed LED tail light kit. Did not install license place holder. I am not sure if it is necessary, but didn't get pulled over by police on any of my trips.

Loaded my motorcycle, didn't tie it down but motorcycle carrier held it very well. One person can load and unload motorcycle

I covered my motorcycle seat with a trashbag. It rained a bit on my drive to Arkansas

Self leveling suspension did its work!
The following 4 users liked this post by iwinvarma:
Acrad (11-21-19), ASE (11-21-19), ltsr (11-21-19), Philly01 (04-18-20)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle carrier on 2nd Gen GX 460?