small paint chip on the hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 12:21 PM
AndrewwCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small paint chip on the hood

Hi Guys
I just found out there is a small paint chip on my hood. The grey part looks like the primer.
It's the first chip I got on this truck. I'm a bit confused about what should I do now.
Can I ask the dealer to do touch up then do the clear bra? Or does clear bra requires the whole hood to be repainted?
I usually don't bother by the chips but I didn't know GX can have a whole layer chip off. My previous cars usually just had small white chip points.
Besides, before I noticed the chips I just had my car washed/waxed, will this affect the chipped part and paint coat around it?
Thanks!

Old 06-26-19, 12:30 PM
sinistar
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually have a similar one on my hood and I just received a Dr. ColorChip kit. Will post an update on how it works out once I get a chance to use it, which might be as soon as this weekend.
Old 06-26-19, 12:58 PM
AndrewwCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sinistar
I actually have a similar one on my hood and I just received a Dr. ColorChip kit. Will post an update on how it works out once I get a chance to use it, which might be as soon as this weekend.
Thanks!
Please let me know if you have any update.
I am new to paintwork so I am still debating if I should just go to the dealer and give them my money instead of messing up the paint on my own.
Old 06-26-19, 01:02 PM
sinistar
Driver

I really hate attempting to do paint work as well, as I tend to not be able to achieve good results, but the cost from a professional is always so high for this sort of thing. There are some other less conspicuous chips I'm going to try first before attempting the hood though.
Old 06-26-19, 02:13 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

I touched up a few knicks and chips on my hood and bumper using touch up paint and clear coat from Automotivetouchup.com. I have Tungsten Silver and it matches really well.
Old 06-29-19, 12:11 PM
sinistar
Driver

So here's the before and after images after using Dr. ColorChip on a rock chip on my GX's hood. The 'after' image is the result of five applications. I'm satisfied with the result here. However, I also tried it on some scrapes that were down to the primer on and near the cargo door sides, but because those are vertical surfaces, my application was a lot more sloppy and results not so good -- but at least they're more protected areas and not easily visible.

If anyone else uses Dr. ColorChip, the key is to build up the paint layer to a satisfactory level and then when it's time to use the blending solution to remove the excess paint, it's extremely important to maintain an ultra-feather touch on that cloth. Do not put pressure on it, just hold onto the cloth enough to direct the wipes and let the solution do the work. It will require more passes with the cloth, but otherwise you will possibly rub out the paint from the chipped area as well.

BEFORE
small paint chip on the hood-jq8wjsw.jpg

AFTER
small paint chip on the hood-iweokby.jpg

Last edited by sinistar; 06-29-19 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 07:52 PM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Similar stuff sounding to what sinistar posted, I used this product and had pretty good results along with OEM touchup paint:

LANGKA 2oz Blob Eliminator
Amazon Amazon