GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 04:35 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
yreyes10 - how does the screen/resolution look with Google Maps?
The resolution is limited with GX and LX systems. On GX, it is 800x600, and on LX, it is 1280x800. I am primary using Waze, the map display is much better than OEM for many feature and info.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (02-25-21)
Old 02-24-21, 07:56 PM
MemoGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yreyes10
I bought the 2021 GX 460 and unbeknownst to me, it doesn't come with Apple CarPlay which normally comes standard with any other brand. Per the dealership, it looks like there won't ever be an update for this model. I also learned that the LX model does not have the capability for CarPlay either. I am wondering why the 2 of the most expensive Lexus models, don't have that feature that is standard in every other vehicle. I can't possibly the only Lexus owner that is bothered by this...feedback is appreciated...
You are not the only one....Lexus needs to get their act together, they are losing customers and other companies are leaving them in the dust with good tech. They have added CarPlay to some other models, but it should be all of them.
DallasDave (02-27-21)
Old 02-25-21, 06:00 AM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MemoGX
You are not the only one....Lexus needs to get their act together, they are losing customers and other companies are leaving them in the dust with good tech. They have added CarPlay to some other models, but it should be all of them.
yes, especially on the most expensive models. It makes no sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by yreyes10:
DallasDave (02-27-21), MemoGX (02-28-21)
Old 02-25-21, 07:11 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

I pulled the trigger on the Grom VL2 yesterday, lack of Carplay is one of my biggest gripes with this vehicle.
Old 02-25-21, 07:49 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems like their inability to add CarPlay is tied to the decision to integrate the HVAC and other controls into the touchscreen. This means we can't use after-market head units; it has to be something that is custom made for Lexus to include the HVAC and other car controls.

That's not an inherently bad decision, it just means the manufacturer has to buck up and upgrade the technology regularly. And they haven't.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to a 4Runner with a Magnuson SC. Much more power to pull the trailer, less cost, about the same mileage. And CARPLAY options galore.
Old 02-25-21, 10:03 AM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
It seems like their inability to add CarPlay is tied to the decision to integrate the HVAC and other controls into the touchscreen. This means we can't use after-market head units; it has to be something that is custom made for Lexus to include the HVAC and other car controls.

That's not an inherently bad decision, it just means the manufacturer has to buck up and upgrade the technology regularly. And they haven't.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to a 4Runner with a Magnuson SC. Much more power to pull the trailer, less cost, about the same mileage. And CARPLAY options galore.
I wish I would have explored other brands. I'm kicking myself over it. I think I'm done with Lexus.
Old 02-25-21, 10:35 AM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I doubt the target Lexus buyer demographic for a new GX or LX would base their purchase decisions on whether Apple Carplay is offered or not. Both of these models are built on old architecture and will be replaced in the next year (2021 for the LX) and 2022 (for the GX). At the time the refresh was done, they probably decided it was not worthwhile to redesign the entertainment systems on these cars, especially since these particular systems are not shared with any other Lexus or Toyota models worldwide. It likely made more sense on the 4runner and landcruiser, since there is overlap with other models in the line-up, and it would be easier to recover that R&D expenditure.
Old 02-28-21, 08:58 AM
vesder21
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like Grom is doing a group buy this week for the VL2. I have been hesitent to purchase because of the "people initially love it after install, but then after a few months some negative reviews because of how flakey it is." anyway, I can't tolerate the factory system any longer so am going to purchase and see what happens with this newer version for my 2019.
Old 02-28-21, 09:24 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 207 Likes on 116 Posts

I was planning on getting in on the group buy but haven't been excited by a lot of recent reviews so I think I will hold off for now. May also look at the Lsailt version as well. I imagine prices will continue to decrease and firmware/software updates improve over the near future.
If anyone wants the groupbuy promo code send me a pm, not sure if posting here would violate any forum rules?

from GROM: Thank you for your interest in VLine VL2 Navigation and Infotainment System GROUP BUY. We are happy to announce that the group buy period has started!

You can now place an order for your VLine VL2 Infotainment System at GROM Audio retail website, https://gromaudio.com.

To get special pricing of $469.95 ($499.95 for LEX8T model), please enter special coupon code at the checkout. The shipping is FREE within the US, but sales tax will apply to TX orders.
hilcountry (05-06-21)
Old 02-28-21, 09:40 AM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

I’m seriously thinking into looking at the options posted on this thread however, I’m a little scared that Lexus might want to void parts of the extended warranty if taken in to service with an issue like electrical etc.
TP88 (07-28-21)
Old 03-02-21, 08:49 AM
EANX
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here, want it but uneasy on warranty thing.
Maybe if I have it professionally installed and then I can quickly n easily remove it before taking to the dealership.
I love my GX but miss using Google Maps on my dash like in my old 4Runner esp for those long summer road trips coming up.
Old 03-02-21, 01:15 PM
JDGGA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the code to order the GROM unit and get the discount?
Old 03-05-21, 09:20 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

GX is going on 12 years old, what do you expect?
Old 03-05-21, 09:35 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
GX is going on 12 years old, what do you expect?
Dodge just put a brand new 10" screen with CarPlay in their existing Durango. Car companies do this routinely. That Lexus hasn't is really frustrating. in fact, I priced out a new Durango R/T yesterday.
yreyes10 (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 08:07 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWRacer
Dodge just put a brand new 10" screen with CarPlay in their existing Durango. Car companies do this routinely. That Lexus hasn't is really frustrating. in fact, I priced out a new Durango R/T yesterday.
Problem is Lexus has a core following that is older, and loyal. Most older ppl don’t care for technology as much as the younger crowds. The cheaper Lexus which are aimed at the younger crowd have had all of the cool gadgets for years because in that segment they won’t sell without them.

I’ve said this before and ppl always get offended, but it’s the truth. Look at other surveys if you don’t believe me. I do believe this will eventually become an issue as Lexus will become undesirable to the younger crowds if they continue to ignore technology banking on the blind brand loyalty they’ve always enjoyed.
The following 2 users liked this post by ellocovg:
EANX (04-06-21), yreyes10 (03-05-21)

Quick Reply: Android Auto / Apple Carplay