GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 05:36 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

How does one obtain the code to join the group buy?
Old 03-06-21, 06:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

GROM is a supporting Club Lexus vendor, I’ve pmd them to ask them to post in this thread
Old 03-06-21, 06:55 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Problem is Lexus has a core following that is older, and loyal. Most older ppl don’t care for technology as much as the younger crowds. The cheaper Lexus which are aimed at the younger crowd have had all of the cool gadgets for years because in that segment they won’t sell without them.

I’ve said this before and ppl always get offended, but it’s the truth. Look at other surveys if you don’t believe me. I do believe this will eventually become an issue as Lexus will become undesirable to the younger crowds if they continue to ignore technology banking on the blind brand loyalty they’ve always enjoyed.
As a 2X used Lexus buyer, I can confirm that Lexus should not be marketing their new vehicles to me, lol.
Old 03-06-21, 06:16 PM
vesder21
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, I'm just seeing the questions about the group buy now so am a little late. The GB ended the other day, but if I were GROM I would still honor the offer and take your money hahah. I don't work for them so all I can say is give it a shot and see. THIS IS WHAT THEY EMAILED ME:

Greetings!

Thank you for your interest in VLine VL2 Navigation and Infotainment System GROUP BUY. We are happy to announce that the group buy period has started!

You can now place an order for your VLine VL2 Infotainment System at GROM Audio retail website, https://gromaudio.com.

To get special pricing of $469.95 ($499.95 for LEX8T model), please enter special coupon code GRP2FEB at the checkout. The shipping is FREE within the US, but sales tax will apply to TX orders.

The GROUP BUY period will end on March 4th (Thursday) at 11:59 pm CDT.

The product will ship between March 25th - April 10th 2021. You will receive an email confirmation once your order gets shipped out.

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions you may have via web contact form at https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Place your GROUP Buy order with coupon code GRP2FEB

Old 03-20-21, 04:49 PM
SigEpGX460
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
I have not had any issues so far, and quite happy with the new updated version, works very well, and has become more and relying on the system now. As other post stated, for warranty, you can always remove the any added components before related services.
I was also an early adopter of LSAILT along with Hzhao. Today I pulled out the old and installed the upgraded LSAILT. The newer unit is light years ahead of the old in terms of speed and "snappy" feel; almost OEM like. Furthermore, once you gain a comfort level pulling out the radio you can pull out this unit and go back to factory in about 20 minutes since it is all plug and play into the factory connectors.
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (03-20-21)
Old 03-21-21, 04:05 AM
NoMercy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Problem is Lexus has a core following that is older, and loyal. Most older ppl don’t care for technology as much as the younger crowds. The cheaper Lexus which are aimed at the younger crowd have had all of the cool gadgets for years because in that segment they won’t sell without them.

I’ve said this before and ppl always get offended, but it’s the truth. Look at other surveys if you don’t believe me. I do believe this will eventually become an issue as Lexus will become undesirable to the younger crowds if they continue to ignore technology banking on the blind brand loyalty they’ve always enjoyed.
LOL...so true! I am 65 and I have no clue what y'all are talking about here...
What is this Car Play you speak of??
Old 03-21-21, 12:54 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMercy
LOL...so true! I am 65 and I have no clue what y'all are talking about here...
What is this Car Play you speak of??
software that allows seamless integration with your in car LCD and smartphone. allows the user to navigate their media, listen and reply to text messages via audio and voice.

its a godsend for navigation as you dont need to find a phone mount, and you can use the app youre more accustomed to.
Old 03-23-21, 12:29 PM
vesder21
Rookie

Personally I would skip. Installed a unit in my wife’s 2019 GX and the thing just freezes up. After troubleshooting for two days it’s still very flaky and I’m not sure if many of you would have the patience for it because I certainly do NOT and I am very mechanically/technology inclined and usually have a tolerance for being an early adopter, but this thing just pisses me off!

My options are to either leave the car dismantled or uninstall. If I put the car back together I’m not taking it back apart!
Old 04-24-21, 05:51 PM
ben7
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My video review on the Grom VLine unit for the Lexus GX 460 with Apple CarPlay

Hi everyone,

I just did a video review on my channel with my initial impressions on the Grom VLine installed on my 2017 Lexus GX 460.

Here’s the link:

I’ll also add the pros and cons here as well:

Pros:
  • Allows for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto usage
  • Android device means app installs (if you want to install apps on your Grom VLine such as Google Maps and Waze)
  • External inputs
  • Ability for “some” steering wheel controls (I talk about this in my video)
  • Ability to update itself (software and firmware) via WiFi or USB
  • Compact design

Cons:
  • Intermittent issues such as device freezing, volume setting at a certain level all of a sudden, etc... (I explain my personal experience with this in my video)
  • Price is too costly of all you want is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto usage
  • Cannot use steering wheel mounted phone buttons
  • Installation cost was for about four hours of labor (unless you are able to do the install yourself)

Please feel free to leave your comments in the video. I hope to give an update later on how my Grom VLine usage is going.

Last edited by ben7; 04-24-21 at 05:56 PM.
Joni1007 (05-01-21)
Old 04-24-21, 06:23 PM
vesder21
Rookie

I installed one in my wife's 2019 GX a month ago and it's been ok. She only uses for Apple Car Play and does not like that you lose the radio when running the Vline via the Aux, Other than that I agree that it freezes from time to time and not worth it IMO for others who are looking to purchase.

Also, the install should take less than 40 mins as I installed, removed because of issue and then reinstalled the unit a few days later and by no means am I a "car installer/expert."
Joni1007 (05-01-21)
Old 04-24-21, 06:34 PM
ben7
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vesder21
I installed one in my wife's 2019 GX a month ago and it's been ok. She only uses for Apple Car Play and does not like that you lose the radio when running the Vline via the Aux, Other than that I agree that it freezes from time to time and not worth it IMO for others who are looking to purchase.

Also, the install should take less than 40 mins as I installed, removed because of issue and then reinstalled the unit a few days later and by no means am I a "car installer/expert."
Thanks for the reply. Yikes, I hope I didn’t get ripped off on the labor cost for the install in that case. lol
Old 06-04-21, 01:28 PM
OhMyJosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beatsonic Carplay for GX460 - GROM alternative?

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but Beatsonic now has a full carplay system (not just the screen mirroring) for our 2nd Gen GXs. Looks like a pretty compact unit and seems to work pretty well. Activated only by USB, and there are some little buggy things, but it's around the same price and I'm curious to see if anyone on here has bought one and has any thoughts on this vs. the V-Line. I'd like to do a side by side review, but I'm not going through the effort of installing and uninstalling either in my rig.

Here's a link to their new features video. The installation video was posted the same day.

GROM admins - don't get sore at me.

Old 06-04-21, 01:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I've sent them an inquiry for 10-13 support and encourage others do as well.

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/contacts/

"At the moment, we do not have any plans to produce a carplay solution for 10-13 GX. However, things may change in the future, so please check back with us in 6 months."
Old 06-04-21, 02:06 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

There are few offers on the market, but they are essentially the same products with slight different flavors of GUI. Not sure there is anyone here had Beatsonic one, but most of installation on the forum are either use Lsailt or Grom. In particular, Lsailt only offer the units for 2014+ GX while Grom does offer both units for 2010+ and 2014+ GX.
Old 06-04-21, 06:29 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 349 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by OhMyJosh
Not sure how many of you have seen this, but Beatsonic now has a full carplay system (not just the screen mirroring) for our 2nd Gen GXs. Looks like a pretty compact unit and seems to work pretty well. Activated only by USB, and there are some little buggy things, but it's around the same price and I'm curious to see if anyone on here has bought one and has any thoughts on this vs. the V-Line. I'd like to do a side by side review, but I'm not going through the effort of installing and uninstalling either in my rig.

Here's a link to their new features video. The installation video was posted the same day. BEATSONIC CARPLAY DEMO

GROM admins - don't get sore at me.
The install is pretty easy, I wouldn’t be apprehensive about it. Once you do it the first time it’s easy peasy from then on.

Quick Reply: Android Auto / Apple Carplay