GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 10:50 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxCharles
I’ve been looking at this as well. However, I’d also like to get rid of the old tape player portion at the bottom of the dashboard and your option does not do that. As a result, I’m looking at this:

https://rhinoradios.com/products/lex...hoC7lkQAvD_BwE

Does anyone have any experience with this item? Backup camera needs to be replaced, which is fine considering the poor quality from the factory.
I have tried the one and here are some of my experiences with the unit: (read the posts towards the end)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...console-6.html
Old 07-05-19, 06:18 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
A number of folks on the RX forum have been using a unit from these guys with good success (and online support). Just noticed they have one that appears to be for the GX. I'm chatting with support now to figure out which pieces are needed for CarPlay and will report back.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...001963153.html
If anyone can validate the quality of Bluetooth audio, I'll be buying this one. The RX forum is having the same complain, the Bluetooth audio is really bad for the other party. It's a deal breaker for be.
Old 07-05-19, 08:28 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
If anyone can validate the quality of Bluetooth audio, I'll be buying this one. The RX forum is having the same complain, the Bluetooth audio is really bad for the other party. It's a deal breaker for be.
Not sure why this unit matter for your concern.

Bluetooth audio quality depends a) how source are being encoded, such as format, sampling rate, if all above are equal, then it will be depends on the amplifier and associated components such as speakers and environment. The bluetooth audio profile are conformed in certain standard, which is a transportation method to deliver the digital packs. so it is a simple "garbage in and garbage out" concept.

All those Android solution are still rely on the GX OEM head unit for amplifier at the end. They do not replace the head unit. In fact, the OEM head unit is REQUIRED in order for any of such solution to work.
The following users liked this post:
John00 (07-05-19)
Old 07-05-19, 10:29 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Apparently this module in RX is causing all kinds of issue in bluetooth. Read the last few posts here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html

All I want is Android Auto with no downgrade in phone call quality.
Old 07-05-19, 10:36 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
Apparently this module in RX is causing all kinds of issue in bluetooth. Read the last few posts here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html

All I want is Android Auto with no downgrade in phone call quality.
Have you thought about a Grom Audio?

https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/index.html
Old 07-05-19, 02:29 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 07-05-19, 03:26 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Have you thought about a Grom Audio?

https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/index.html
I don't see a Grom solution for GX 2018 yet.
Old 07-05-19, 03:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Someone on GXOR claimed they actually have compatibility up to ‘19 but website isn’t updated yet. You may want to send them an inquiry to confirm if this is the case or not.
Old 07-05-19, 04:36 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Thanks.. will check with them. I already installed Beat Sonic mirroring.. but that's just a one time novelty, not practical to use it daily. Android Auto in the other hand is awesome.. always used it to full capability in my other car
Old 07-07-19, 05:47 AM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

ive had good dealings with grom. used a simpler version in my es and my gx. was able to get the tech guys right away when i had questions.
yeah sometimes they dont update the website as quick as wanted
i really wanted the large display hzhao tested to work well. maybe the software will get updated someday.
Old 07-08-19, 11:38 PM
venomixia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wanna buy this, but when I scroll down, it says it's for the ES. Worth the shot? Or should I wait?
Old 07-11-19, 07:39 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jojotheduc
A number of folks on the RX forum have been using a unit from these guys with good success (and online support). Just noticed they have one that appears to be for the GX. I'm chatting with support now to figure out which pieces are needed for CarPlay and will report back.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...001963153.html

I have this unit installed in my GX for roughly 2 months now. Thanks to guys in the RX forum, I installed one in my wife's RX as well. Although I have it installed but kinda hesitant to bring it up here to share with you guys. Here's why:

1- The unit simply does not justify the cost. $550 to $650 is what they're selling at
2- With GX, you have to open up the screen and separate the touchscreen ribbon and put theirs in between. It's not fully plug n play. Its a pain and also a risk when you do stuff to the screen like this
3- The apple carplay function freezes up at least once or twice everyday for me.
4- The sound sounds very tin canny out of the box. Although you can EQ' to make it sounds better
5- It'll probably take them another year or two to iron out all the hiccups

However, if you overlook any of the 5 negatives above and once it works... the ability to use touchscreen and apple carplay is really awesome! I like this better than in my wife's RX with the mouse. The graphic is adequate. Not their fault since it's really at the screen max resolution capability.
The following 4 users liked this post by tuandino:
John00 (07-12-19), leftyguns (10-03-19), tecman (07-12-19), Yona (07-12-19)
Old 07-12-19, 04:58 PM
henfield
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post pics for us to see
Old 07-12-19, 05:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino
I have this unit installed in my GX for roughly 2 months now. Thanks to guys in the RX forum, I installed one in my wife's RX as well. Although I have it installed but kinda hesitant to bring it up here to share with you guys. Here's why:

1- The unit simply does not justify the cost. $550 to $650 is what they're selling at
2- With GX, you have to open up the screen and separate the touchscreen ribbon and put theirs in between. It's not fully plug n play. Its a pain and also a risk when you do stuff to the screen like this
3- The apple carplay function freezes up at least once or twice everyday for me.
4- The sound sounds very tin canny out of the box. Although you can EQ' to make it sounds better
5- It'll probably take them another year or two to iron out all the hiccups

However, if you overlook any of the 5 negatives above and once it works... the ability to use touchscreen and apple carplay is really awesome! I like this better than in my wife's RX with the mouse. The graphic is adequate. Not their fault since it's really at the screen max resolution capability.
Thanks,
less concerned with 2- but 3- sounds like an annoyance.
Old 07-12-19, 08:05 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by henfield
Please post pics for us to see
Here are a few pics:

apple carplay

android interface

youtube app
The following 5 users liked this post by tuandino:
bbqsoup (10-01-19), henfield (07-13-19), Otherone (10-01-19), tipsytopsy (07-13-19), Yona (07-12-19)

Quick Reply: Android Auto / Apple Carplay