Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 02:46 PM
RussianGx
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
The link didn’t work for me to the seller. Does this offer front camera support?
It actually offers support for all 4 cameras that you can activate for 350 view as well as USB DVR you can all purchase separately

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839646985.html
Old 07-03-20, 03:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianGx
1) No its the OEM screen. Lexus uses GVIF cable display and use touch function of the system.
2) No issues with scrolling at all.
3) Firmware updates are done through wifi using your phone hotspot or wifi in your house. Perhaps a coffee house.
4) The box is 7.1 (you can see it in product link I provided https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839646985.html) but it is upgraded to 9.0
5) I have had no issues at all with Quality or Lexus bluetooth. All works as it did before.
6) Hissing sound came from Lexus Aux Port. It actually exists right now if you switch to aux dont play any sound and turn volume to max you will hear it.
Thanks for answering my questions. Got some more lol

1) I assume the 9.0 is not rooted or anything?
2) You mentioned camera comparability and DVR, if you dont have the factory 360, can you add in aftermarket cameras to the box?
3) DVR system link, and can you use it similar to the Tesla Sentry mode?
4) Is the Box only compatible with all GX headunits since 2010 or only specific systems?

EDIT: 5) Wireless Android Auto Compatible?
6) If you wanted to, since this box runs android, just use the box as the infotainment system? Install all android apps like Pandora,Waze, and spotify etc and then tether to your mobile device for internet?

Edit 2: 7) Whats the load up time when you use the vehicle for the first time in the day? So for instance, from the time I unlock my GX, to the time I can start interacting with the device on the touchscreen timeing wise?

Last edited by coolsaber; 07-03-20 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-03-20, 04:41 PM
RussianGx
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Thanks for answering my questions. Got some more lol

1) I assume the 9.0 is not rooted or anything?
2) You mentioned camera comparability and DVR, if you dont have the factory 360, can you add in aftermarket cameras to the box?
3) DVR system link, and can you use it similar to the Tesla Sentry mode?
4) Is the Box only compatible with all GX headunits since 2010 or only specific systems?

EDIT: 5) Wireless Android Auto Compatible?
6) If you wanted to, since this box runs android, just use the box as the infotainment system? Install all android apps like Pandora,Waze, and spotify etc and then tether to your mobile device for internet?

Edit 2: 7) Whats the load up time when you use the vehicle for the first time in the day? So for instance, from the time I unlock my GX, to the time I can start interacting with the device on the touchscreen timeing wise?
1) No it is not rooted
2) 360 cameras plug into their own harness and you have to wire them your self. But its fairly simple. System does not use or interferes with any OEM functionality.
3) DVR works via software they install using USB cameras. I installed my own USB dual camera from another brand and it worked great with the proper APK installed.
4) You have to go to the link I provided to purchase a specific unit for your year. However I have been in contact with them and there is a new box
5) I dont think it does wireless android. But I can be wrong. I am apple user
6) Yes you can use Play Store and download any app like normal android device and yes you can browse chrome and youtube
7) as soon as your OEM lexus system loads. Hit Home button and boom your there in the android system

if you are picky this system might not be for you
I like to take a risk and test things out.
So far no issues for me

The following users liked this post:
coolsaber (07-03-20)
Old 07-03-20, 08:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianGx
1) No it is not rooted
2) 360 cameras plug into their own harness and you have to wire them your self. But its fairly simple. System does not use or interferes with any OEM functionality.
3) DVR works via software they install using USB cameras. I installed my own USB dual camera from another brand and it worked great with the proper APK installed.
4) You have to go to the link I provided to purchase a specific unit for your year. However I have been in contact with them and there is a new box
5) I dont think it does wireless android. But I can be wrong. I am apple user
6) Yes you can use Play Store and download any app like normal android device and yes you can browse chrome and youtube
7) as soon as your OEM lexus system loads. Hit Home button and boom your there in the android system

if you are picky this system might not be for you
I like to take a risk and test things out.
So far no issues for me
Thanks for bearing with me. I`m quite picky since we have seen a lot of aftermarket options promising the sky but not really delivering. For me if I`m ripping up my dash for a feature, I`m hoping its worth it and not something I have to compromise for.
RussianGx (07-04-20)
Old 07-04-20, 09:55 AM
RussianGx
Driver School Candidate

To be honest prior to this Lexus I owned a Tundra and installed an Android Radio brand Named Dasaita. It was very well done. However with Lexus we are unable to take our stereo out due to Climate controls. Also Tesla Style radios - well what if it fails. With OEM system and an android piggy back computer everything still works. But yes there are quirks for sure. However nothing is damaged and you are not tearing up your dash that much. Its easy really to take apart Lexus Dash.
Old 07-06-20, 09:13 PM
angrygx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

really nice upgrade!

personally cant dish out 700 yet just got the truck.

but maybe in like a year or so.

does this unit support other languages? thx!!
Old 08-18-20, 08:26 PM
spavel
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav-Tv SMART-LINK Adapter

Hello Everyone,

I tried to use the search but did not find anything. Did anyone try to install a Smart-Link adapter to work with GX? It seems like it can utilize the existing screen and provide CarPlay. It looks a bit laggy even on their video, but I can live with that. Price also seems cheaper than Android units (not sure what will be the shipping cost).

Here is the link to NavTV - https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT95...k-adapter.html
Old 02-24-21, 04:55 AM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay in the GX Model

I bought the 2021 GX 460 and unbeknownst to me, it doesn't come with Apple CarPlay which normally comes standard with any other brand. Per the dealership, it looks like there won't ever be an update for this model. I also learned that the LX model does not have the capability for CarPlay either. I am wondering why the 2 of the most expensive Lexus models, don't have that feature that is standard in every other vehicle. I can't possibly the only Lexus owner that is bothered by this...feedback is appreciated...
MemoGX (02-28-21)
Old 02-24-21, 06:39 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by yreyes10
I bought the 2021 GX 460 and unbeknownst to me, it doesn't come with Apple CarPlay which normally comes standard with any other brand. Per the dealership, it looks like there won't ever be an update for this model. I also learned that the LX model does not have the capability for CarPlay either. I am wondering why the 2 of the most expensive Lexus models, don't have that feature that is standard in every other vehicle. I can't possibly the only Lexus owner that is bothered by this...feedback is appreciated...
there are several options to add CarPlay on current GX and LX. I have done both of them with Lsailt products. I have some detail write-up on the forum. Both have been updated with new version of hardware with fast processors and memory, the performance has been significantly improved with more OEM like. Here are two reference pics on my GX and LX:

The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
corpnupe85 (03-03-21), hilcountry (05-06-21), supahotgx (02-25-21)
Old 02-24-21, 06:48 AM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for your reply!

Thanks so much for your reply. I asked the dealership about this but they stated that any alterations to the current system might void my extended warranty or parts of it, if there are any electrical issues caused by this third party system. Have you encountered any issues with this?

Originally Posted by hzhao
there are several options to add CarPlay on current GX and LX. I have done both of them with Lsailt products. I have some detail write-up on the forum. Both have been updated with new version of hardware with fast processors and memory, the performance has been significantly improved with more OEM like. Here are two reference pics on my GX and LX:

Old 02-24-21, 07:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The burden of proof would fall on the manufacturer to prove the aftermarket part failed. Mostly likely the aftermarket part will fail before OEM in general. You can always remove the aftermarket part before taking the car in for a repair directly related to the stereo system. Extended Warranties are highly overrated even from Lexus. Enjoy your vehicle as you want it.
Old 02-24-21, 10:23 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 986 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by yreyes10
Thanks so much for your reply. I asked the dealership about this but they stated that any alterations to the current system might void my extended warranty or parts of it, if there are any electrical issues caused by this third party system. Have you encountered any issues with this?
I have not had any issues so far, and quite happy with the new updated version, works very well, and has become more and relying on the system now. As other post stated, for warranty, you can always remove the any added components before related services.
Old 02-24-21, 03:18 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I totally agree that omitting the CarPlay capabilities is downright silly. For the record, it is missing from my 2016 Audi too.
MemoGX (02-24-21)
Old 02-24-21, 03:20 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

yreyes10 - how does the screen/resolution look with Google Maps?
Old 02-24-21, 04:19 PM
yreyes10
Driver School Candidate

it’s the old standard map that it’s had for years. I actually never have used the map on it. I still use my phone.

Originally Posted by DallasDave
yreyes10 - how does the screen/resolution look with Google Maps?

Quick Reply: Android Auto / Apple Carplay