Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Yeah, but do you want to open that can of worms? Go for it
Old 05-31-19, 12:16 PM
Edmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML sound system/speaker question

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2013 GX460 for my wife and noticed that the front door speakers are not working. If i bent down and put my ear right next to where the speaker is i can hear faint sound but the sound isn't what it should be for sure. So I did a bit of poking around on here and figured out the lexus speakers seems to fail pretty often and I may need to repair them with a repair kit, because replacing them is cost prohibitive. So I have 2 questions:

1. How large are the front speakers? I think they are 6x9 but I just wanted to double check with the people on the forum. Also, is there a specific vendor I should buy the repair kit from?
2. If I wanted to change the door speakers in the front and rear, using the adapters that Tecman outlined in his audio thread, what speakers (brand/model #) should i be specifically looking for? Tecman didn't have the ML sound system which is why I ask the question. My wife's GX does. I know impedance may be the deciding factor so I figured I would ask.

Any help or suggestion on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ray
Old 05-31-19, 01:56 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.marklevinson.com/in-lexus.html

Yes, the front door speakers are 6x9. IF you have the Mark Levinson sound system, then these 6x9 speakers are BASS speakers. No vocals go thru it. Vocals go thru the dash and A-pillar speakers.

The ML system in GX460 consists of basically 3 subwoofers in the car. The cargo area subwoofer is the largest and goes the lowest (for music and MOVIES if you have rear entertainment). The FRONT door speakers are mid-bass and bass (but does not go low enough for movies, e.g. explosions)...they are low enough for music bass. Toyota calls this "distributed subwoofer system".

In other words, front door (subwoofer) speakers + midrange speakers (in dash) + 1" tweeters in A-pillar = full range sound for the front passengers.
The following 2 users liked this post by tigmd99:
panardog (01-03-23), sinistar (05-31-19)
Old 05-31-19, 02:08 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by Acrad:
FlooF (09-25-19), sinistar (05-31-19), tecman (05-31-19), tigmd99 (05-31-19)
Old 07-21-19, 07:43 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Mark Levinson (ML) discusion

Years/Trim with available Mark Levinson Package:

'10-'13 Premium trim

'14-'21 Luxury trim

'21 Premium with certain option packages

"Mark Levinson 17-speaker 330-watt, all channels driven, @ less than 0.1% THD, 20-20,000 Hz48 Premium Surround Sound Audio System25 with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL), 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc DVD/CD auto-changer"

EDIT: six-disc DVD/CD auto-changer (2010-2013) & single disc DVD/CD (2014-2020)

Apologize if this was thoroughly discussed over the years in other threads. I want to make sure I have accurate info for the FAQ here as well as the GXOR Wiki.

This is what I see according to brochures:

'10-'13 - Optional for Base or Premium

'14-'15 - Optional on Luxury Models

'16-'19 - Optional on other trims? (page 36 brochure example 2016) - Also included in the separate Driver Support Package on a Luxury

It appears one could option a '10-13 Base with nav/ML. Any 10-13 base owners here with ML? or maybe I am misinterpreting the option presentation in the brochures?

ML was also an option on 10-13 Premium but makes it appear that ML deletion would also eliminate Nav. I can't say I have seen any Premiums without nav. Any 10-13 Premium owners with combos other than Nav/ML?

Potentially some unicorns models out there?

Last edited by Acrad; 12-17-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 06:04 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

from my research and talking to experts while trading up my 17 GX non-ML to 18 GX with ML, only Luxury trim comes with ML package. Noted that it's called a package, not individual option.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 04:21 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

That does appear to be the case as I was looking at a bunch of Carguru ads as well.

'10-'13 Premium
'14+ Luxury

In Canada it appears it is all ML regardless of trim for the most part. I'll post specifics in first post as I know we have quite a number of Canadian members here as well.
tuandino (07-24-19)
Old 07-24-19, 07:40 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

you are right. I completely forgot about our neighbors from the north lol
Old 08-21-19, 07:02 AM
demarcva
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson Amplifier Wiring Diagram

I have a 2019 w/ Mark Levinson. Does anyone have or know where I can find a diagram for the wiring in and out of the Levinson amp?
Old 08-21-19, 07:03 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Why? Are you planning to add a sub or something?
Old 08-21-19, 07:06 AM
demarcva
Driver School Candidate

Yes, actually moving a sub from a 2016 to the 2019. Would prefer to tie in for signal at the amp output as opposed to at the speakers. Much less work.
Old 09-12-19, 06:30 PM
Rick U
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Audio+ Fine Tuned my Mark Levison

I have a new to me 2015 GX460 Luxury with a Mark Levinson system. While it’s better sounding than some factory systems, it has room for improvement.

I’m coming out of a 2015 4runner with the JBL system that sounded absolutely terrible. With the 4runner I contacted a company called OEM Audio+ and they worked miracles with my 4runner. Basically they created custom filters for the factory speakers and completely redesigned the subwoofer system. They sell the kits that are designed to install yourself with no cutting of wires.

I contacted them again to see if they had anything for the GX460 w ML. Sandy (the owner) said no but bring it down and let me run some tests and analyze the data. The data verified my thoughts. The ML has a strong mid bass bump that sounds okay at low volume but sounds really bloated when you turn it up. Sandy said the components of the ML system are very high quality with plenty of power but he agreed the tuning was not to his taste. The ML system is very self-contained and most of the crossover is processed within the factory amp. Sandy tried a few things and hit the nail right on the head. He installed filters for the 3 dash speakers and used the same plug and play inline filters he sells for 4runners on the 6x9’s on the front doors. The results are downright impressive. Filtering out some of the bass from the front speakers really cleaned up the sound. Now the system remains clean and clear with no stress whatsoever when I turn up the volume. The speakers just completely disappear in surround mode and the bass from the factory sub has far more presence. I can’t wait to go sit in some traffic now.

Hopefully they’ll add this package as one of their products.
Old 09-12-19, 07:55 PM
LFC
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick U
I have a new to me 2015 GX460 Luxury with a Mark Levinson system. While it’s better sounding than some factory systems, it has room for improvement.

I’m coming out of a 2015 4runner with the JBL system that sounded absolutely terrible. With the 4runner I contacted a company called OEM Audio+ and they worked miracles with my 4runner. Basically they created custom filters for the factory speakers and completely redesigned the subwoofer system. They sell the kits that are designed to install yourself with no cutting of wires.

I contacted them again to see if they had anything for the GX460 w ML. Sandy (the owner) said no but bring it down and let me run some tests and analyze the data. The data verified my thoughts. The ML has a strong mid bass bump that sounds okay at low volume but sounds really bloated when you turn it up. Sandy said the components of the ML system are very high quality with plenty of power but he agreed the tuning was not to his taste. The ML system is very self-contained and most of the crossover is processed within the factory amp. Sandy tried a few things and hit the nail right on the head. He installed filters for the 3 dash speakers and used the same plug and play inline filters he sells for 4runners on the 6x9’s on the front doors. The results are downright impressive. Filtering out some of the bass from the front speakers really cleaned up the sound. Now the system remains clean and clear with no stress whatsoever when I turn up the volume. The speakers just completely disappear in surround mode and the bass from the factory sub has far more presence. I can’t wait to go sit in some traffic now.

How much did they charge to install the five filters?
Old 09-12-19, 08:11 PM
Rick U
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far nothing, it was R&D. They had the car 4 days. The final parts couldn’t be very costly. If they market a kit it would be plug and play and not sure how they would price it.
jaleels (09-13-19)
Old 09-13-19, 04:56 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Rick U

FYI, the front door speakers (not dash) are purely midbass or lower...no vocals thru them. They work in conjunction with the rear cargo subwoofer (which can go lower than front door speakers) to get bass all around the cabin. Toyota/Lexus calls it "Distributed Subwoofer System" or something like that. You neutered the front door speakers which may cause valleys in bass frequencies. Play some more songs...i bet that you will start to see that your system will now lack bass all around. The cargo subwoofer is not strong enough to blast bass around the cabin (esp front passengers).

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems