GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 10:59 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

we use a 16gb flash drive with all our music on it and separate folders. works great. You have to scroll thru folders on the screen though and select random play. it works great other than that
Old 04-17-11, 11:08 AM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A flashdrive does work to play music, and I've used one. If you haven't tried it, an iPod (and I'm not an Apple fanboy) will give you a Menu selection button and tabs for Song, Artist, Album, Playlists, Genre, Composer, Podcasts and Audiobooks. Folders and songs in my experience with a flashdrive were sometimes unpredictable when imported from your PC to your Lexus....YMMV
Old 07-04-11, 02:22 PM
guard250
Driver School Candidate

The GX has an 8" sub woofer.
Old 07-10-11, 07:01 PM
allcruise
Driver School Candidate

Default i have a 2010 gx 460 premium

I have to agree, for the additional cost of this ml system it is not
worthy. Sound is fair at best. No strong bass or dynamic ranges.

Originally Posted by gportiz
I picked up my 2011 Lexus GX460 in December. I absolutely love this vehicle except for the Mark Levinson audio system. For being such a pricey option, I was terribly disappointed. As comparisson, my 2009 Toyota Hylander that I owned before had a better audio system in my opinion than my current Lexus. My Mark Levinson system sounds like a tin can to me.

Anyhow I read somewhere that someone had replaced their factory subwoofer and added a subwoofer amplifier to help augment the audio sound of the system.

Does anybody know what size the factory subwoofer is?

Can someone recommend a subwoofer replacement?

Thanks,

Gil
Old 09-14-11, 07:13 PM
aqua
Driver School Candidate

I believe it's an extra $5K or so to opt for the Mark Levinson System Upgrade. Has anyone purchased the base model with the base sound system and aftermarket upgraded on their own?

I currently own the Base 2011 GX and I don't like the quality of the sound so much. In your premium models, where is the subwoofer and amp located? Is there dampening material used for the sub?

Thanks
Old 08-31-12, 08:54 AM
Gdog
Driver School Candidate

Default Is ML Audio worth it?

I'm getting ready to buy a GX. Lots of good deals on 2012's but no Mark Levinson audio in the local dealer. How important is it? I listened to the standard audio today, and I wasn't impressed. It sounded ok, just not deep and rich. I'm no audiophile, but for such a price, I'd like great audio as well. To order a 2013 with ML would be a lot more money.
Old 08-31-12, 10:37 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't purchase without the ML. The ML in my GX doesn't sound anything like the ML in my LS 460, but wouldn't order the GX without the ML. Maybe they have a used one for you to compare, or one in service...
Old 08-31-12, 11:18 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

totally agree the ML in my GX is super, after listening to ML in the GX I feel the ML in the ISF is weak. I would spend the extra money to get one with ML.
Old 08-31-12, 04:17 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The ML in my 2008 LS > ML in 2012 LS > ML in 2012 GX.

Lexus did something to the bass in the 2012 LS. It's not as good as the earlier model.

ML is still better than the stock system.
Old 10-07-12, 03:33 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the difference in the GX between ML and non ML is HUGE. I've compared them side by side. If you appreciate music and care about sound quality, it's a no brainer.
Old 10-07-12, 05:51 PM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

The ML system is impressive, I don't remember what the premium is for the option, but I am very happy with the system. The soundstage is at eye level and the clarity is quite good. The bass isn't thunderous (good) and fills nicely--

My expectations of car audio has diminished over time, but for a stock system, it is one that I will be happy never to upgrade. Am I an audiophile? No, but for home audio, I prefer tube amplification (and pre-amplification) with electrostatic speakers, so I do appreciate a good soundstage . . . KH
Old 10-11-12, 05:44 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the ML system, clean and well balanced sound!

Koz
Old 10-11-12, 06:11 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

I think the stock audio in my 2011 GX is fine, it's not fabulous, but it does crank up pretty loud without distorting. Audo separation is very good. The XM sound is the lowest in sound quality compared to FM, USB, or CD.

Last edited by Tnorling; 10-11-12 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-12, 06:26 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not have ML in my base GX as I bought it off the lot and I didn't have the $$ to buy premium. I am a Purchasing Manager and I am in charge of buying our corporate vehicles which many have been Lexus vehicles since 2002. Everyone has had ML so I know how much better it sounds than the base system so here is my question...... IS there anything that I can do to upgrade the base system that would help the sound quality? In other vehicles I have had I have just upgraded the speakers and it made a huge difference, has anybody done any speaker upgrades or amp upgrades to the base system?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-12, 09:52 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ML is optional on all models. The only other upgrade would be a head unit but as you stated speakers makes a HUGE difference and should be fine for the average Joe.

Koz

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems