GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 07:06 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It's just poor editing. You won't find that emblem in a GX because we don't have the "Reference Surround" level ML like the LX and LS. We just have the premium level ML system. I'm guessing they chose to splice that image in because it looks better than the ML emblem we get.

Edit: That's also why people sometimes complain about the ML system in the GX. It isn't a top level system even though it's the top level offered in the vehicle.

Last edited by bd5400; 05-04-16 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 04:38 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i honestly really like the ML on the GX... very good sound to my ears.
Old 05-07-16, 08:08 PM
Namelus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove Sub Cover?

How would one go about opening the Sub Cover in the back of the GX, I want to add sound denting to the Sub box.
Old 05-21-16, 07:38 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johmas50
My apologies if this is a repeat question, but has anyone had issues with the Mark Levinson subwoofer in their GX rattling. Mine sounds terrible, even with a good source and the bass turned down fairly low. I realize these are made for crispness and such, but it seems like mine has a terrible rattle. I thought it might be busted, so I attempted to take the panel off to check. I was not completely successful (I'd take a hint or walk-through on how to remove the rear plastic to get a better look) and from what I could see it is not damaged. It seems that the baffle it is mounted in simply rattles. Anyone else with this issue, or a solution?
So the rattling is just the positioning of the box of the sub over the rear wheel well... you have 2 choices dino-mat the box best you can (but its a ***** to get @) & good luck... or 2 unplug the speaker & install an your own system 12" subs/box/amp like i did....
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems-2e8da565-698e-43b5-a789-911ffa7d5ab8.jpg  
Old 05-21-16, 07:57 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koolfella...

How did u get your rear cargo door to hang on the left hand side?
Old 05-21-16, 08:16 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Koolfella...

How did u get your rear cargo door to hang on the left hand side?
Instagram magic...lol when I spliced the 2 pics together I mirrored them... Felt like the pic came out better like that... Seems like you have an eye for details my friend...😉👍
Old 08-13-16, 03:24 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Just a note:

I took apart the driver's side rear interior today so I could add some sound dampening material and was surprised to come across a small piece that was applied at the factory:

Unfortunately I did the job by myself and I was in a time crunch so I couldn't take pictures along the way for a tutorial. Removing everything (floor, third row seat, rear panels, etc) isn't exactly difficult, it's just very involved. A huge improvement, in my opinion, especially outside the car. The bass is much quieter and you don't hear that horrible vibrating metal sound. I'm also in the process of using felt tape on my window switches and I'll probably see about adding some more deadening material to the front doors.
Old 05-27-17, 04:35 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Anyone get their ML Sound System to sound great?

Hi Folks,
I have a 2015 GX-Lux CPO with the Mark Levinson Sound System.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware that I had the 'upgraded' sound system until I noticed the logo, and the addl speakers in the rear door.
To me it sounds.... uneventful.

I've tried finessing the DSP as well as the Bass/Mid/Treble, and the fader controls, etc.
It doesn't sound bad (like a blow speaker or anything), but it just sounds lifeless and flat/dull.

Any tips or suggestions on what you folks did to get some real sound out of it? I don't need true audiophile sound in my truck/car, but this isn't any better than my old 1999 Acura SLX (rebadged Isuzu Trooper).

Thanks for any suggestions, short of replacing amps/speakers... Oh, and I've tried sources from CD to USB to FM HD... some are better than others, but none sound 'premium', that's for sure...

Off the light the grill - Have a great Memorial Day. Thank A Vet.
Old 05-27-17, 05:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

I swapped my speakers out with the base audio system.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-upgrade.html

KOOLFELLA commented on how he liked the ML in the GX a while back. Looks like he beefed it up with an amp and a 12" sub
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-or-not-3.html
Old 05-27-17, 05:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I am pretty happy with ML in mine but you do have to crank it quite a bit before it sounds good to my ears. It probably lacks significant base for some but I am ok with it. I've never tried this by sitting in different areas of vehicle... but I thought I read something about it being a consistent sound experience in all areas of the cabin.
Old 05-27-17, 08:05 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by User21c
Hi Folks,
I have a 2015 GX-Lux CPO with the Mark Levinson Sound System.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware that I had the 'upgraded' sound system until I noticed the logo, and the addl speakers in the rear door.
To me it sounds.... uneventful.

I've tried finessing the DSP as well as the Bass/Mid/Treble, and the fader controls, etc.
It doesn't sound bad (like a blow speaker or anything), but it just sounds lifeless and flat/dull.

Any tips or suggestions on what you folks did to get some real sound out of it? I don't need true audiophile sound in my truck/car, but this isn't any better than my old 1999 Acura SLX (rebadged Isuzu Trooper).

Thanks for any suggestions, short of replacing amps/speakers... Oh, and I've tried sources from CD to USB to FM HD... some are better than others, but none sound 'premium', that's for sure...

Off the light the grill - Have a great Memorial Day. Thank A Vet.
Regardless of what anyone says, IMO, the Mark Levinson sound system is one of the WORST there is. It is beyond pathetic! just bought a 2014 CPO ES 300h and specifically bought (and paid a premium price) for one equipped with the ML system. Due to all the hype from all kinds of people including automotive journalists, I did not test the system, and unfortunately that was my big mistake! For that matter the regular system in the 300h is not any better, as I found out when driving a loaner vehicle.

It is so pathetic, that even the "free" 4-speaker run-of-the mill cheap system in my 2015 Toyota Corolla is far superior!!! The bass is overcooked and artificial. The mids are too bright and boomy and cause all kinds of distortion and resonances when the volume is turned up more than about 45% etc. Even at lower volumes the mid / mid-bass sounds awful and unnatural!! ...... and I can go on and on. And while the "highs" are acceptable, they are not "smooth and clean" like a high-end system should be! By comparison, the Nakamichi system in my 2000 LS 400 is like being in HEAVEN. Every single note is so delicate and smooth, and the bass is "just right" - powerful, but "tight and accurate". I'm not sure why Lexus chose this supplier. And it is a $3000 option on the ES. To me it feels more like a $3000 SCAM.

Now, in all fairness, the ML system seemingly varies in performance by model, from beyond horrendous in the ES, to fairly acceptable in some models. In the LX 570 I rented one time, it actually sounded pretty good (but not "outstanding").

I'm absolutely devastated, because I listen a lot, to music in my car. It is just so terribly "un-listenable". It is sad because I'm very happy with the car otherwise. Like you said, even if it was as good as the one in my Toyota Corolla that would be OK. I called Crutchfield to see if there was something that can be done, because the ML amplifier integrates so many functions: NAV, steering wheel controls, voice commands, chimes etc. etc. They said the only solution would be to get something called a JL FIX 86, which taps into the signal going to the speakers and then cleans it up to remove all the equalization and amplification. The clean signal can then be fed to an amplifier and then to a set of replacement speakers. They also suggested a powered sub (Ordnance) in a SEALED enclosure (This is because I am very retro and listen to old music from the past as well as genres like smooth jazz, 60's, 70's, 80's, country etc.). This needs "tight, clean, accurate" bass and not the boomy kind. However one of the biggest challenges will be to find the size of replacement speakers (there are 15 useless ones in the ML system ).

There is a very big caveat to this solution: I'm not sure if the equalization in the ML system is different for different sources: like USB, CD, XM, BLUETOOTH etc. If it is, then I don't know if the JL Fix will work, because I'm told that it needs to calibrate the signal coming out of the ML amp, to clean it up. And it can do this for only one source. Will need to do more research.

Last edited by vicpai; 05-27-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-28-17, 06:55 AM
Oldmanb777
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It's certainly not what it should be. It's ok, but not what it should be. I think the 20 yr old system in my Grand Cherokee is its equal, or maybe better. The 19 yr old one in my GMC pickup is also as good. But my ears are no longer what they once were either. But its acceptable, nothing more.
Old 05-28-17, 10:36 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicpai

Now, in all fairness, the ML system seemingly varies in performance by model, from beyond horrendous in the ES, to fairly acceptable in some models. In the LX 570 I rented one time, it actually sounded pretty good (but not "outstanding").
The ML system in the LX and LS is a higher level than what is offered in the other vehicles, i.e., "Reference" vs. "Premium". Any journalist praise that is specifically directed at one of those two vehicles wouldn't apply to the rest of the lineup.

While I wouldn't call the ML system in my GX terrible, it certainly didn't live up to my expectations. I've gotten used to it however. The biggest change I was able to make was added sound deadening around the subwoofer and adding felt to the window controls. More than the so-so sound quality, the ridiculous rattling was getting on my nerves.
Old 10-24-18, 01:12 PM
JarenMalor
Driver School Candidate

Default Mark Levinson in GX 460 vs GX 470

I'm trying to decide between a GX 460 (one from 2010-2012) and a GX 470 (one from 2007-2008) and my main concern is the Mark Levinson sound system.

If they sound about the same I will buy a 470 to save money but I am curious to know if the ML on the current gen sounds better than on the 470.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-24-18, 01:24 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

There are many other improvements on the GX460 over the GX470 that I think worth the jump besides the ML systems. However, but if it's the sound system that you mostly care about there are ways to upgrade speakers to make them sound much better on both the 460 and 470.

I haven't heard the sound in the 470 but the 460 sounds pretty good for most the 80's music I'm listening to LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (10-24-18)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson (ML) discussion / questions / problems