2015/16 CPO Worth It??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 03:07 PM
mxxv09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2015/16 CPO Worth It??

Hello!

I'm currently in the market right now for a new-to-me vehicle, and have fallen in the love with the GX for its old school ruggedness and expected long term reliability. Anyways there are a couple of good CPO examples near me here in the mitten, single owners, low miles, under $40k and local vehicles.

Anyways researching these vehicles and Lexus's in general their CPO program is supposedly the best, but reading through forums here I've read horror stories of CPO cars having hidden accidents and numerous problems. I've even seen a few CPO issues highlighted in the local google reviews of the Lexus dealers near me.

I'm aware of the secondary air pump issue, airbag recall, and suspension lean for the GX (no vehicle is dead reliable/perfect). But the CPO deception and suspected pointlessness of it being "certified" has me wary and nervous of spending the $$.

So the question is should I assume the premium CPO tag means something and the cars listed are in good shape etc. (CarFax and the Lexus Driver history show regular services and nothing odd for the two I'm interested in) or look elsewhere at non-CPO as well? Also if any one here has had interaction with the Michigan Lexus dealers, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-19, 06:45 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

The big draw of the CPO is the warranty. You can't assume that the high school dropout that checks off the blocks on the CPO form actually knows what they are looking at, so you need to approach ANY used car with a healthy dose skepticism and don't assume that a CPO is any better than a non-CPO - although you need to ask yourself why a used Lexus at a Lexus dealership isn't CPO as long as it meets the other criteria.
Old 08-15-19, 07:27 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

I hope so, I'm picking up a CPO '17 on Saturday.

Only downside is that it's been smoked in. Lets hope that I can get that out with an ozone generator.

$38k & 45k miles. Higher miles, but it's in the color combo I'm after.
Old 08-16-19, 07:19 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

I've seen "CPO" cars that have clearly been in significant accidents. I also know that the people doing the "checks" have very little time to check each car, so what they'll do is cursory checks - they'll check tread depth on one tire and if that is OK, then they'll eyeball the others and call it a day.

You need to do your own inspection - pay particular attention to things that are not covered by the warranty - paint, body, interior, wear items. Document and question everything.

I'd never accept a CPO that smells of cigarettes. This is something the dealership needs to take care of BEFORE you pick it up. Also - don't take a "yep, we'll fix that" at face value - get it in writing.
Old 08-16-19, 08:33 AM
beeowenge
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

recently bought a CPO , 2016 luxury cost me $43 @28K miles. i checked the car myself look for any issues ran my own carfax. it depends which dealership i guess but you may want to do your own check up.. Over all im very satisfied with the purchase.
Old 08-17-19, 10:20 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a 2016 Luxury CPO, and it was a great deal.

People were avoiding it because it was listed in the Carfax report as having a previous accident.

Turns out it was a cracked windshield.
Old 08-17-19, 10:24 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

I went to look at the CPO that had been smoked in.. I actually did more than just look at it, I flew up to Portland (from San Jose) to decide how bad the smoke smell was.

The answer: Real bad. Headliner even had tobacco stains.

Sitting at the airport waiting for a flight home now.
Old 08-17-19, 10:38 AM
heckeljohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gross. How can they even certify that?
Old 08-17-19, 02:56 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by klinquist
I went to look at the CPO that had been smoked in.. I actually did more than just look at it, I flew up to Portland (from San Jose) to decide how bad the smoke smell was.

The answer: Real bad. Headliner even had tobacco stains.

Sitting at the airport waiting for a flight home now.
We need a member registry because I'm sure that there would have been a member in Portland who would have been willing to take a quick look - not to do a PPI, but a quick "yep, it looks OK" or "Ewwww, they didn't mention the dented fender". Then, if you decide to go there and buy the car, you can buy the local member lunch at McDonald's.
Old 08-17-19, 03:28 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,404 Posts

For western WA state I'd make an attempt to look at vehicles from Mount Vernon to North Seattle and east to North Bend. Nothing via ferry to the Olympic Peninsula though.
Old 08-17-19, 04:31 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
We need a member registry because I'm sure that there would have been a member in Portland who would have been willing to take a quick look - not to do a PPI, but a quick "yep, it looks OK" or "Ewwww, they didn't mention the dented fender". Then, if you decide to go there and buy the car, you can buy the local member lunch at McDonald's.
Thanks for the laugh

I would be happy to help in my area if needed, crappy food not required
Old 08-17-19, 05:26 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cb1111
Yeah, that would have been helpful.

I don't understand why the dealer even spent the time to CPO it. I suspect they won't sell it and it'll just go to auction. I'll follow the VIN to see, heh.

I already added this vehicle to my drivers.lexus.com page.... that page lets me add my own service.

If I type something in there... will anyone else who looks up the VIN see my notes? Wonder if there are any legal ramifications...
Old 08-17-19, 07:14 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Not CPO, but this place has some really nice cars e.g. GX: https://www.texasdirectauto.com/for-sale/lexus-gx/

Sometimes i go to Texas to visit my brother.....and i always pass by there to check out the cars. LOL
Old 08-17-19, 07:24 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
For western WA state I'd make an attempt to look at vehicles from Mount Vernon to North Seattle and east to North Bend. Nothing via ferry to the Olympic Peninsula though.
I'd normally be happy to look at cars in the Washington DC Metro area.
Old 08-17-19, 10:41 PM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

if you are going to spend $40K+ on a CPO, why not spend $10-15K more and just get a new one

Quick Reply: 2015/16 CPO Worth It??