GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014+ How good are factory LED fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19 | 07:10 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Default 2014+ How good are factory LED fog lights?

I ended up with a base model and for some reason Lexus decided to not include fog lights on the base model (I would've been content with halogens). With that being said, I am looking to add some fog lights. Since the majority of owners seem to have the Premium trim where fog lights are pre-installed, there is very little support for aftermarket fog lights and after alot of googling the simplest path forward is to pick up some OEM LED fog lights. My question is, how good are they? Are you guys happy with them? Is there any way to make them better or change them to an amber color?? I am trying to see if it is worth the cost.
Old 08-23-19 | 07:45 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Chasin
I ended up with a base model and for some reason Lexus decided to not include fog lights on the base model (I would've been content with halogens). With that being said, I am looking to add some fog lights. Since the majority of owners seem to have the Premium trim where fog lights are pre-installed, there is very little support for aftermarket fog lights and after alot of googling the simplest path forward is to pick up some OEM LED fog lights. My question is, how good are they? Are you guys happy with them? Is there any way to make them better or change them to an amber color?? I am trying to see if it is worth the cost.
They are bright for what they are and they do shine wider than headlights. BUT the range is very short...and not all that useful IMHO. Yeah, they are wide but from driver’s seat, how far they extend forward is limited. For me, i usually leave them OFF at night.
Old 08-23-19 | 07:56 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tigmd99
They are bright for what they are and they do shine wider than headlights. BUT the range is very short...and not all that useful IMHO. Yeah, they are wide but from driver’s seat, how far they extend forward is limited. For me, i usually leave them OFF at night.
Appreciate the response. I wish there were more alternatives out there. Seems the only path forward is something custom cut into the lower grill.
Old 08-23-19 | 08:16 AM
John00
Racer

OEM housings with aftermarket bulbs are usually sufficient. it really depends on what you want. some bulbs will go far and narrow, others will be wide and shallow. again, this can be changed with different leds in the OEM housing.
fog lights original purpose was to get a low power light low to see the road while driving really really slow.
nowadays we use them for other things. determine your need then you can decide which route to take.
Old 08-23-19 | 08:38 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by John00
OEM housings with aftermarket bulbs are usually sufficient. it really depends on what you want. some bulbs will go far and narrow, others will be wide and shallow. again, this can be changed with different leds in the OEM housing.
fog lights original purpose was to get a low power light low to see the road while driving really really slow.
nowadays we use them for other things. determine your need then you can decide which route to take.
Thanks for the info. I looked at the oem fogs and they look like a sealed unit? I would love to get them installed in the OEM location, but finding OEM housings are hard and not cheap. I would like to shine further in front
Old 08-23-19 | 08:45 AM
John00
Racer

heres some of the comparisons i did:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10376419

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10475255
The following users liked this post:
Chasin (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19 | 08:50 AM
John00
Racer

Originally Posted by Chasin
Thanks for the info. I looked at the oem fogs and they look like a sealed unit? I would love to get them installed in the OEM location, but finding OEM housings are hard and not cheap. I would like to shine further in front
every '14 ive seen has the new front end, with the integrated bulb. the lexus info shows that there are '14s with the older valeos. the note has 201308 and on use new version yet the old version can be on some '14s.
sound like you have the integrated version like ive seen all the '14s with.

not sure if theres something available with nonintegrated bulbs.
anything aftermarket and integrated will most likely be less light than the nonintegrated version
The following users liked this post:
Chasin (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19 | 12:15 PM
John00
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post8519423

looks like < 200 bucks
Old 08-23-19 | 12:17 PM
John00
Racer

the oem look pretty weak in the one shot, even compared to the oem lows.
way better way cheaper to go with nonintegrated if you are looking for more light output
Old 08-23-19 | 01:05 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by John00
Thanks I've seen that post. I am not sure where you got the price of under $200, but he threw HIDs onto there, it would definitely cost more than $200. The one big thing that he didn't discuss was the mounting brackets. From everything that I've been reading and seeing, is that you will need to custom fabricate a bracket of some kind to mount the fog light. The OEM LED fogs have 3 plastic tabs built into the assembly that line up with the bumper for proper mounting. The other thing to keep in mind is the limited space in the OEM location. Sadly the OP from that thread has never come back to post the complete build process.
Old 08-23-19 | 01:12 PM
John00
Racer

depends on the housing type and size. generic larger valeos about 40$ a set, generic smaller HID projectors with bulbs and ballasts maybe 70$.Bezels <$50 set. Wire <$10.
If you add a controller then $10 more. Should be under $200 total.

Bi xenon fogs like the high outputs i adapted have flat ears, so do mistubishi eclipse generic valeos. this means the ears are all in one plane repsective to their flat face. Most applications use 3 of the 3 ears.
Old 08-23-19 | 01:17 PM
John00
Racer

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

theres some amazon examples, im not saying get those. that first one, i have 2 similar versions. the hid just one i saw.
i usually import my parts, but i think the sub $200 is good even from amazon and parts in us
Old 08-23-19 | 01:21 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tigmd99
In other words, they do exactly what fog lights are supposed to do - illuminate the are directly in front of and to the side of the car.

Fog lights are designed to be used at low speed in weather conditions where visibility is under 50 yards or so.

Your headlights leave a dark area directly in front of your car intended to draw your eyes farther down the road. In poor weather and at lower speeds, you want to illuminate that area AND to light up the edges of the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
Chasin (08-23-19), John00 (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19 | 01:33 PM
John00
Racer

exactly correct on the fogs doing what they were designed for.

comes down to anticipated use. another reason to go with non-integrateds.
the last thing you want is high power reflecting off the fog. think about in the snow.
if you live where theres no concern on fog, or you want more distance, then the non-integrateds can be swapped to more suit your individual need.
even in the same housing, different bulbs are used for different purposes.
Old 08-23-19 | 01:59 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by cb1111
In other words, they do exactly what fog lights are supposed to do - illuminate the are directly in front of and to the side of the car.

Fog lights are designed to be used at low speed in weather conditions where visibility is under 50 yards or so.

Your headlights leave a dark area directly in front of your car intended to draw your eyes farther down the road. In poor weather and at lower speeds, you want to illuminate that area AND to light up the edges of the road.
True...but since we cannot operate fogs without headlights, fogs have become fashion statement. Having headlights and fogs on at the same time in conditions where fogs are needed is not useful.

Not sure about everyone else experience, but the OEM fogs literally shine just few inches in front of my view of the hood. By the time i see something thanks to those fogs, it will be way too late! And the side illumination is limited.

So, yeah, IMHO, they are there for looks. YMMV.

Quick Reply: 2014+ How good are factory LED fog lights?