GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tuning the GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 08:23 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yah and sounds like he's done wonders for the Taco-munity... Fingers crossed we'll get some love after the 5.7 guys. Undoubtedly there's a lot of meat on the table, especially for those of us always willing to pony up for premium.
Old 05-02-21, 05:38 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like there’s some chatter about the OVtune on the GXOR page....

Old 05-02-21, 06:12 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lexu...04264216371346

Old 05-04-21, 08:43 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

HPTuners has support for the following Toyota vehicles:

I believe they may also support the 1UR-FE in the Tundra. I don't know if they care enough to expand the list but persistence from our community might help push them.

I have looked at the 3UR-FE tune from the Tundra in my HPTuners and its pretty straight forward. A lot easier than my Ecoboost to tune.
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (05-04-21)
Old 06-08-21, 08:50 AM
sethz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad
In Eurasian markets the 4.6L in GX puts out 292 hp / 323 lb⋅ft versus our 301 hp / 329 lb⋅ft. Could this lower rating be assumption that one is generally using lower octane fuels in many other areas of the world? Not sure if that is true though so correct me if you have more info on worldwide fuel quality.

Just pulling this from Wikipedia but it shows the 1UR-FE when used in Middle Eastern GS & LS applications was rated for 347 HP / 339 lb⋅ft.

Is that all from tuning or different cams as well?

GXOR member here is putting a tune and Supercharger on his 460. No further info available at this time.
Even though the LS460 litterally have the same engine, the LS460 has the direct fuel injection which the GX doesnt thats why the LS460 has around 60+ more hp than the GX, lexus probably took it the direct fuel injection for reliability.
Old 06-08-21, 10:36 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I believe the LS460 features both direct and port injection. Mainly to prevent carbon building up on the intake valves. I can’t imagine the extra HP comes from this alone.
Old 06-15-21, 07:01 PM
ErnestPho
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LS also has a completely different top end to the motor. Cams and all. Seems about the only thing the GX and LS share is the block itself.

The GX essentially is detuned. They designed the motor to run cooler to extend its life. I hesitate to say these 4.6s will be 4.5L-tier "million mile motors," but with proper care I think they have a great chance to be.

I have friends who get the latest and greatest motors with the fancy features. One buddy has a Ford with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Yes, it hauls ***, but at 150,000 miles when the 3.5's water pump starts pissing into the oil pan and he's stuck buying a new motor, or the turbos start to fail, my 4.6 will be purring along with a lot lot more than 150,000 miles on it, and a lot more to go.
Old 07-26-21, 04:58 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestPho
LS also has a completely different top end to the motor. Cams and all. Seems about the only thing the GX and LS share is the block itself.

The GX essentially is detuned. They designed the motor to run cooler to extend its life. I hesitate to say these 4.6s will be 4.5L-tier "million mile motors," but with proper care I think they have a great chance to be.

I have friends who get the latest and greatest motors with the fancy features. One buddy has a Ford with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Yes, it hauls ***, but at 150,000 miles when the 3.5's water pump starts pissing into the oil pan and he's stuck buying a new motor, or the turbos start to fail, my 4.6 will be purring along with a lot lot more than 150,000 miles on it, and a lot more to go.
Only the transverse 3.5 has the internal water pump. The ones in the trucks have a normal water pump so there is no issue with it.
Old 09-25-21, 11:13 AM
nxfsportnv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
It is unbelievable that no one has come up with something for this car so far. 300hp on 4.6L is pretty much detuned engine
Pretty outdated engine. 300hp was a big number even for v8s until around 2005.
Old 09-25-21, 03:28 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestPho

I’ll just add this here. Still feels and drives new.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning the GX 460-64e07107-207e-49cd-99be-728172c7149e.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
DallasDave (09-26-21), Slprciv (09-26-21)
Old 01-28-22, 07:44 AM
AbsolutGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reviving an OLD topic!

OVTune has released their tune package for the 2012-2019 GX460

https://vftuner.com/collections/tune...x460-tune-pack

There are 4 guys over at the Facebook GXOR page that are running the initial tune saying throttle response has improved and looks like some mpg gains. I've been watching this closely and OVTune has released its third update which now incorporates transmission adjustments.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it so I'll give an honest review after 3-4 full ups. My commute is 20mi each way with 90% highway.

Im a 2017 GX460 lifted 2.5in with 33in 10ply Maxxis Razr ATs, prospeed roof rack, awning, and rifle case up top. I also installed the URD ypipe eliminating the rear cats ( that alone gave my butt dyno a bit of difference) I added a walker high flow muffler and kept the stock resonator and AEM dry filter. Hoping the OVtune help take up some sluggishness with the 10ply tires.

I originally was gonna go with the beatsonic throttle adaptor that GX Bob on youtube gave a good review on, but I feel a full tune that is getting support and updates would be worth it in the end. I plan on data logging as much as I can to help OVtune to continue to make adjustments
geckornr (08-27-23)
Old 01-28-22, 08:33 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutGT
reviving an OLD topic!

OVTune has released their tune package for the 2012-2019 GX460

https://vftuner.com/collections/tune...x460-tune-pack

There are 4 guys over at the Facebook GXOR page that are running the initial tune saying throttle response has improved and looks like some mpg gains. I've been watching this closely and OVTune has released its third update which now incorporates transmission adjustments.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it so I'll give an honest review after 3-4 full ups. My commute is 20mi each way with 90% highway.

Im a 2017 GX460 lifted 2.5in with 33in 10ply Maxxis Razr ATs, prospeed roof rack, awning, and rifle case up top. I also installed the URD ypipe eliminating the rear cats ( that alone gave my butt dyno a bit of difference) I added a walker high flow muffler and kept the stock resonator and AEM dry filter. Hoping the OVtune help take up some sluggishness with the 10ply tires.

I originally was gonna go with the beatsonic throttle adaptor that GX Bob on youtube gave a good review on, but I feel a full tune that is getting support and updates would be worth it in the end. I plan on data logging as much as I can to help OVtune to continue to make adjustments
2012? Why no love for the 2010-2011? What we all really want are dyno #’s before and after. What sort of gains should we realistically expect? I’m going to go out on a limb and say the increase in throttle response and MPG are not as important as overall bhp/tq increases. Hell my pedal commander gives me all the throttle response increase I needed.

Any data you give is appreciated nonetheless.
Old 01-28-22, 09:02 AM
AbsolutGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
2012? Why no love for the 2010-2011? What we all really want are dyno #’s before and after. What sort of gains should we realistically expect? I’m going to go out on a limb and say the increase in throttle response and MPG are not as important as overall bhp/tq increases. Hell my pedal commander gives me all the throttle response increase I needed.

Any data you give is appreciated nonetheless.
It probably is 2010+, my mistake. On their page it just says not for 2020+

I've been watching OVtune for awhile when I had my Tundra and Tacoma, and they were very popular and making big strides.

From when the first released tune to now the 3rd one, It looks like big strides are being made which is why I went ahead and jumped at it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure of any AWD dyno's in my area and I already modded my GX before ever getting any true baseline.

OV's original tune included:
Engine speed and vehicle speed limits
Throttle and torque control tables
AT shift maps, MT Rev hang table controls
Throttle limits (4 low / etc)
Valve timing
Ignition Timing
Fueling

second released tune
Version 1.5.2 will have a big update for GX460 model support with updated maps for TCU (shifting) and Valve Timing control.

third released tune
VF Tuner 1.5.3.12522 Releases this morning
- Expanded 2UZ Support (4Runner)
- Expanded Transmission control (4Runner, Tacoma 4.0L, GX460)

Im no tuner so I doubt I'll be tinkering or making any adjustments outside their released base tunes as they keep cranking them out.

I'll keep everyone posted, I think in the next week or so, one of the early adopters is gonna post his review on the GXOR Facebook page of running the 1st tune only as he hasn't updated to the second or third tune.

I plan on flashing to the most current tune and go from there since smarter people than me are data logging and tinkering with the adjustments
Old 01-28-22, 11:13 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder why the OVtune for GX460 states:

**** does not support 2020+ *******

What changed with the 2020+ models?
Old 01-28-22, 11:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ovtune doesn’t have great feedback in terms of non existent support and lack of communication with the 3rd gen IS folks. Take a search of their threads before sending any money their way.

No personal experience with it, just read a ton of negative posts over the last couple of years.
AbsolutGT (01-28-22)

Quick Reply: Tuning the GX 460