GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tuning the GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22 | 11:22 AM
AbsolutGT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Ovtune doesn’t have great feedback in terms of non existent support and lack of communication with the 3rd gen IS folks. Take a search of their threads before sending any money their way.

No personal experience with it, just read a ton of negative posts over the last couple of years.
Interesting. In the Tundra and Tacoma circles they are highly rated. Oh well, too late for me now...I'll be the guinea pig
Old 06-20-22 | 08:21 PM
nepereziva
Rookie

Originally Posted by AbsolutGT
Interesting. In the Tundra and Tacoma circles they are highly rated. Oh well, too late for me now...I'll be the guinea pig
hi there, any updates?
got a 19 gx460 myself, looking into tunes, possibly custom headers and maybe some custom ground cams later.
these are real nice trucks, but really lack on power.
but perhaps it’s because I’m coming off a modded Srt8 jeep? Or lots of other fun toys back in the young days? (STi, s2000, evo, and a few 1000cc bikes, good old days)

these Are great comfy trucks and a 3rd row seats is a must. (Family comes 1st)

but still….. I’m surprised there’s barely any support for these “glorified Toyotas”
Old 06-21-22 | 04:55 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by nepereziva
hi there, any updates?
got a 19 gx460 myself, looking into tunes, possibly custom headers and maybe some custom ground cams later.
these are real nice trucks, but really lack on power.
but perhaps it’s because I’m coming off a modded Srt8 jeep? Or lots of other fun toys back in the young days? (STi, s2000, evo, and a few 1000cc bikes, good old days)

these Are great comfy trucks and a 3rd row seats is a must. (Family comes 1st)

but still….. I’m surprised there’s barely any support for these “glorified Toyotas”
99.9% of GX owners don’t really care about performance mods. I came from a ridiculously fast Charger so I feel your pain. Having said that now I just drive like a normal person because I’d rather enjoy the long term reliability instead of wearing it out sooner.
The following users liked this post:
Seanzky (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22 | 07:52 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

I’ve got VFTuner on the way. My ecu was not supported for a while but now is so I ordered as soon as I found out.

I plan on self tuning my GX using the VFTuner map pack for the GX as my base. I currently self tune my F150 Ecoboost and tuned my previous Jeep Liberty diesel than my GX replaced.
MrTorgue (06-22-22)
Old 06-22-22 | 04:57 AM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by skrypj
I’ve got VFTuner on the way. My ecu was not supported for a while but now is so I ordered as soon as I found out.

I plan on self tuning my GX using the VFTuner map pack for the GX as my base. I currently self tune my F150 Ecoboost and tuned my previous Jeep Liberty diesel than my GX replaced.
Keep us updated. This is something I’d be interested in if I keep my 460. I’m thinking about getting the new RX450h+.
Old 06-23-22 | 06:18 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Old 06-28-22 | 03:40 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

So I got VFTuner opened up and was looking through the tune. The available tables are kinda sparse and the labeling is not great. Its not 100% clear what everything is.

I also have HPTuners for tuning my F150 Ecoboost, and that software supports tuning on the Tundra 5.7L. I figured the 5.7 and 4.6 are probably programmed pretty much the same and should have the same tables, so I downloaded a tune for the 5.7L and opened up the two side by side. The tables are very similar with only minor tweaks to the data which accounts for the displacement difference, however, HPTuners does have a lot more tables related to the engine it seems like. The good news is, HPTuners does a better job of labeling the tables as well as making sure the axis data is converted correctly, so I am able to look at the equivalent tables side by side to get a better feel for what's what.

I don't know a lot about Toyota tuning, but at first glance I don't think the VFTuner software itself is necessarily going to be able to do a lot at the moment. Some tweaks to shifting, maybe a small power bump, etc. But I just don't think they have full mapped out the tune to where you can really extract the potential.

I will say that the Toyota tuning almost seems like it is already setup for a supercharger though. Their Torque to Air Load table already extend way beyond the current torque that the engine can make stock, and it runs up to air loads of like 1.8. Air Load is a ratio of the engines possible air consumption. So if the stock 4.6L V8 can consume a maximum 20 lb/min of air at 4000 rpm, thats an air load of 1. If you put a blower on it and ran 7 psi of boost and can now make 30 lbs/min, that's an air load of 1.5.
The following 2 users liked this post by skrypj:
evilfij (01-26-23), MrTorgue (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22 | 06:28 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

So I got VFTuner opened up and was looking through the tune. The available tables are kinda sparse and the labeling is not great. Its not 100% clear what everything is.

I also have HPTuners for tuning my F150 Ecoboost, and that software supports tuning on the Tundra 5.7L. I figured the 5.7 and 4.6 are probably programmed pretty much the same and should have the same tables, so I downloaded a tune for the 5.7L and opened up the two side by side. The tables are very similar with only minor tweaks to the data which accounts for the displacement difference, however, HPTuners does have a lot more tables related to the engine it seems like. The good news is, HPTuners does a better job of labeling the tables as well as making sure the axis data is converted correctly, so I am able to look at the equivalent tables side by side to get a better feel for what's what.

I don't know a lot about Toyota tuning, but at first glance I don't think the VFTuner software itself is necessarily going to be able to do a lot at the moment. Some tweaks to shifting, maybe a small power bump, etc. But I just don't think they have full mapped out the tune to where you can really extract the potential.

I will say that the Toyota tuning almost seems like it is already setup for a supercharger though. Their Torque to Air Load table already extend way beyond the current torque that the engine can make stock, and it runs up to air loads of like 1.8. Air Load is a ratio of the engines possible air consumption. So if the stock 4.6L V8 can consume a maximum 20 lb/min of air at 4000 rpm, thats an air load of 1. If you put a blower on it and ran 7 psi of boost and can now make 30 lbs/min, that's an air load of 1.5.
That’s a bummer, I guess not a lot of people care so the aftermarket support is nonexistent. I guess if it’s supercharger ready that’s ok and all but not everyone will drop $10k+ just for maybe ~100hp/150tq increase. I was secretly hoping a tune would wake up this 4.6 and give a solid 20-25hp/30tq boost with exhaust headers and such.
Old 06-29-22 | 09:07 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
That’s a bummer, I guess not a lot of people care so the aftermarket support is nonexistent. I guess if it’s supercharger ready that’s ok and all but not everyone will drop $10k+ just for maybe ~100hp/150tq increase. I was secretly hoping a tune would wake up this 4.6 and give a solid 20-25hp/30tq boost with exhaust headers and such.
I think it will get that 20-25hp, and maybe it can now, but I just don't think they have mapped out all the tables yet. They can still add them as time goes on, but this is still pretty early in the development I think.

There is a supercharger kit out there and I have seen one GX460 running it. No idea what they did for tuning.

https://xatracing.com/Bullet-1URFE-SC-Kit.html
The following 2 users liked this post by skrypj:
evilfij (01-26-23), MrTorgue (06-29-22)
Old 06-29-22 | 01:49 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

I think it will get that 20-25hp, and maybe it can now, but I just don't think they have mapped out all the tables yet. They can still add them as time goes on, but this is still pretty early in the development I think.

There is a supercharger kit out there and I have seen one GX460 running it. No idea what they did for tuning.

https://xatracing.com/Bullet-1URFE-SC-Kit.html
I’d love to see some videos and dyno runs of that supercharged GX.

Oh and I don’t like this from that site description:

Extremely quiet Supercharger – does not increase NVH levels in the cabin whilst cruising
If I install a supercharger I want to HEAR it. Haha.
evilfij (01-26-23)
Old 12-07-22 | 01:14 PM
Aonarch
10th Gear

Did anyone pull the trigger on the OV Tune, if so any feedback?
Old 12-07-22 | 01:56 PM
reypac24
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on the VFTuner and pack?
Aonarch (12-07-22)
Old 12-13-22 | 01:14 PM
reypac24
Driver School Candidate

Just installed the YotaWerks Weekend Warrior tune with the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. Super easy install. Will need to drive it 25-50 miles before tune settles in but as for my initial impression, very smooth and linear. I'll check back and report updates for anyone interested

Last edited by reypac24; 12-13-22 at 01:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by reypac24:
Acrad (12-13-22), Aonarch (12-13-22), mantics (12-14-22), MrTorgue (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22 | 02:03 PM
MrTorgue
Instructor

Originally Posted by reypac24
Just installed the YotaWerks Weekend Warrior tune with the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. Super easy install. Will need to drive it 25-50 miles before tune settles in but as for my initial impression, very smooth and linear. I'll check back and report updates for anyone interested
I’ll be doing mine in January. Looking forward to hearing from everyone who’s doing it as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
Aonarch (12-13-22), mantics (12-14-22), reypac24 (12-13-22)
Old 12-22-22 | 11:32 AM
reypac24
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update for anyone interested in the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. I have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth my 16 GX runs now. Let me begin with the early morning start. No more super high cold start idle. Next, the throttle tip in and acceleration is smooth and linear. No dead pedal feel anywhere. The transmission shifts are perfect. Don't get me wrong, It doesn't feel like it has more power, it just doesn't feel like it lacks any power anywhere now. This is the way the GX should have been tuned from the factory in my opinion. I am currently on the Weekend Warrior premium fuel map and haven' t tried any of the others since I'm at stock weight.
The following 2 users liked this post by reypac24:
Aonarch (12-22-22), MrTorgue (12-22-22)

Quick Reply: Tuning the GX 460