GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tuning the GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 04:11 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by reypac24
Just wanted to update for anyone interested in the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. I have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth my 16 GX runs now. Let me begin with the early morning start. No more super high cold start idle. Next, the throttle tip in and acceleration is smooth and linear. No dead pedal feel anywhere. The transmission shifts are perfect. Don't get me wrong, It doesn't feel like it has more power, it just doesn't feel like it lacks any power anywhere now. This is the way the GX should have been tuned from the factory in my opinion. I am currently on the Weekend Warrior premium fuel map and haven' t tried any of the others since I'm at stock weight.
What is the difference between this and something like a throttle controller? Seems like its the same? I installed the ShiftPower-USA controller on my '23 GX and it seems to do what is referenced in your update as well as the Google Play review. Just curious what the difference(s) are, and why one would go this route over a simple throttle controller?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-23-22, 06:27 AM
Aonarch
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know where the ECU is located? I'm new to the GX 460 platform.
Old 12-23-22, 06:46 AM
reypac24
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
What is the difference between this and something like a throttle controller? Seems like its the same? I installed the ShiftPower-USA controller on my '23 GX and it seems to do what is referenced in your update as well as the Google Play review. Just curious what the difference(s) are, and why one would go this route over a simple throttle controller?

Thanks,
Greg
I installed a Sprint Booster V3 throttle controller prior to having ECM tuned, it's actually still installed just turned off. Tried the different sport to race settings and while it did improve throttle response, it also multiplied the OEM tune's shortfalls. No matter what setting I tried in attempt to get rid of the dead pedal feel, the tip in was too aggressive. The throttle controller also did nothing for the shifting logic, it actually got worse as it would downshift at the slightest increase in throttle input. Don't get me wrong, if the throttle controller works for you then stick with it. I personally have the Sprint Booster V3 throttle controllers on both the 4runners set to S5 and love it. I went with the tune because I had previously owned a 2017 Tacoma with the Orange Virus Tune and was very happy with it.

Last edited by reypac24; 12-23-22 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-24-23, 02:25 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Just wanted to update for anyone interested in the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. I have been pleasantly surprised at how smooth my 16 GX runs now. Let me begin with the early morning start. No more super high cold start idle. Next, the throttle tip in and acceleration is smooth and linear. No dead pedal feel anywhere. The transmission shifts are perfect. Don't get me wrong, It doesn't feel like it has more power, it just doesn't feel like it lacks any power anywhere now. This is the way the GX should have been tuned from the factory in my opinion. I am currently on the Weekend Warrior premium fuel map and haven' t tried any of the others since I'm at stock weight.
I just got the other tune (not weekend warrior) for 89 octane. And everything you said is my experience minus the cold start thing. I haven't paid attention to that yet. I'm still in the learning phase so it'll be another two tanks of fuel before my tune gets dialed in.
The following users liked this post:
reypac24 (01-24-23)
Old 01-27-23, 09:23 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks,
Greg
Its not even close to the same. VFTuner reprograms the PCM to change how the engine runs and how the transmission shifts. You gain power and drivability

A throttle controller just spoofs the throttle signal to make the PCM think you are pushing the throttle farther than you are. The engine and transmission still run the same as stock and you could accomplish the same thing just by pushing your gas pedal further.

Not saying a throttle controller is bad, I have one, but its not even close to the same as a good tune.

Last edited by skrypj; 01-27-23 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 09:31 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Any updates on the VFTuner and pack?
Just installed the YotaWerks Weekend Warrior tune with the VF Tuner from Mobile Antics. Super easy install. Will need to drive it 25-50 miles before tune settles in but as for my initial impression, very smooth and linear. I'll check back and report updates for anyone interested
I never ended up doing anything. My initial pass through the tune, and comparing it to the available tables in the Tundra 5.7 tune, showed that they still had some work to do to get all the tables in there. I suspect thats why there maybe wasnt a large difference in power for you. They can change shift points and throttle tip in and stuff, but I think they are still missing some tables that are needed to really tune these completely.
Old 01-28-23, 05:23 AM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by skrypj
Its not even close to the same. VFTuner reprograms the PCM to change how the engine runs and how the transmission shifts. You gain power and drivability

A throttle controller just spoofs the throttle signal to make the PCM think you are pushing the throttle farther than you are. The engine and transmission still run the same as stock and you could accomplish the same thing just by pushing your gas pedal further.

Not saying a throttle controller is bad, I have one, but its not even close to the same as a good tune.
Makes sense, so this is a proper ecu flash "tune" - I've done several of those on different German cars over the years, currently have one on my R32 - given that, can someone please point me to the right product for a 2023 GX - their website is kind of terrible, there is an option for a cable and software, that states it doesn't come with a tune, there is a tune, and then there is a pro upgrade, which says that is required for a 2020-2022 GX, assuming that is needed for the 2023 as well - if thats the case, is it worth $1000? Seems like a lot of coin for a smoother power curve, and very little, if any, extra power?
Old 01-28-23, 10:28 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Makes sense, so this is a proper ecu flash "tune" - I've done several of those on different German cars over the years, currently have one on my R32 - given that, can someone please point me to the right product for a 2023 GX - their website is kind of terrible, there is an option for a cable and software, that states it doesn't come with a tune, there is a tune, and then there is a pro upgrade, which says that is required for a 2020-2022 GX, assuming that is needed for the 2023 as well - if thats the case, is it worth $1000? Seems like a lot of coin for a smoother power curve, and very little, if any, extra power?
Don't get your hopes up expecting more power from a tune. It's so unnoticeable I doubt it's more than 5~7hp at the crank. What you do notice is the much improved throttle mapping and the transmission behavior is drastically improved. I've got another tank of fuel before my tune has dialed itself in and my adaptives have learned my driving style but so far those are the most noticeable items. I'm not 100% sure if it was worth it yet, only time and trips through high elevation will tell me. Maybe down the line when I get the exhaust manifold, headers changed and a snorkel added I'll maybe look at getting the tune tweaked to take advantage of the mods. In short, if you want a noticeable increase in brake horsepower and torque you'll need to spend some serious coin on a supercharger.
reypac24 (01-28-23)
Old 08-23-23, 01:05 PM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Don't get your hopes up expecting more power from a tune. It's so unnoticeable I doubt it's more than 5~7hp at the crank. What you do notice is the much improved throttle mapping and the transmission behavior is drastically improved. I've got another tank of fuel before my tune has dialed itself in and my adaptives have learned my driving style but so far those are the most noticeable items. I'm not 100% sure if it was worth it yet, only time and trips through high elevation will tell me. Maybe down the line when I get the exhaust manifold, headers changed and a snorkel added I'll maybe look at getting the tune tweaked to take advantage of the mods. In short, if you want a noticeable increase in brake horsepower and torque you'll need to spend some serious coin on a supercharger.
It's been quite a while since this discussion was used, so sorry for digging up a dead post, but better than starting a new (IMO) - Curious what your, or anyone else's long term thoughts are on the tune? I understand its not a power delivery solution, but it should help a few of the "issues" the stock tune has; remove the dead pedal, allow smoother shifts, better usability of cruise control, and a different (maybe not more) torque and hp delivery. In Maine, there are no straight roads, nor are there flat, so using cruise control is somewhat infuriating as it seems to be obsessed with dropping a gear or two and screaming up, then shifting HARD down trying to control itself from going 10-15 mph over the speed I set it at... I'd also like to know if there are any folks in Maine that are doing these tunes, as VF's website is still a mystery to me - buy this thing, but doesn't have this other thing, buy the other thing, but you still need another thing - leading me to not know what the hell to buy.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-23-23, 01:26 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

It's been quite a while since this discussion was used, so sorry for digging up a dead post, but better than starting a new (IMO) - Curious what your, or anyone else's long term thoughts are on the tune? I understand its not a power delivery solution, but it should help a few of the "issues" the stock tune has; remove the dead pedal, allow smoother shifts, better usability of cruise control, and a different (maybe not more) torque and hp delivery. In Maine, there are no straight roads, nor are there flat, so using cruise control is somewhat infuriating as it seems to be obsessed with dropping a gear or two and screaming up, then shifting HARD down trying to control itself from going 10-15 mph over the speed I set it at... I'd also like to know if there are any folks in Maine that are doing these tunes, as VF's website is still a mystery to me - buy this thing, but doesn't have this other thing, buy the other thing, but you still need another thing - leading me to not know what the hell to buy.

Thanks,
Greg
I'll be direct and succinct.

Pros:
-Fixes the lazy throttle mapping so no need for a pedal commander or throttle controller.
-Almost eliminates cruise control hunting and wrong gear issues.
-Will allow a lower octane choice if you want (I run an aggressive 89 tune).
-High elevation and steep incline performance is outstanding.
-Seems to like cooler air going trough the intake. My acceleration is improved when temps drop below 55 degrees F.

Cons:
-Limited network across the country to get the tune
-Tunes are canned tunes unless you pay for a dyno tune which isn't cheap
-Fuel economy isn't really improved enough to make any difference. Maybe +1~2 on the highway.
-Make sure your rig is running good and your plugs an such aren't worn out because the passing performance depends on it.

Overall thoughts are that it is absolutely worth it.

Last edited by MrTorgue; 08-23-23 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-24-23, 02:46 PM
gregGX
Driver

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I'll be direct and succinct.

Pros:
-Fixes the lazy throttle mapping so no need for a pedal commander or throttle controller.
-Almost eliminates cruise control hunting and wrong gear issues.
-Will allow a lower octane choice if you want (I run an aggressive 89 tune).
-High elevation and steep incline performance is outstanding.
-Seems to like cooler air going trough the intake. My acceleration is improved when temps drop below 55 degrees F.

Cons:
-Limited network across the country to get the tune
-Tunes are canned tunes unless you pay for a dyno tune which isn't cheap
-Fuel economy isn't really improved enough to make any difference. Maybe +1~2 on the highway.
-Make sure your rig is running good and your plugs an such aren't worn out because the passing performance depends on it.

Overall thoughts are that it is absolutely worth it.
Thank you for the very clear response, this sounds like something I for sure want to add to my GX - can you provide details as to what package, from VF you ended up buying, or did you have it uploaded from a local vendor who works with VF? I don't see any VF "modders" here in Maine, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 08-24-23, 08:08 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Thank you for the very clear response, this sounds like something I for sure want to add to my GX - can you provide details as to what package, from VF you ended up buying, or did you have it uploaded from a local vendor who works with VF? I don't see any VF "modders" here in Maine, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Greg
I worked with Joey from Bomber Tunes. He could try and locate a local vendor for you.

https://www.bombertunes.com/
gregGX (08-25-23)