GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 10:02 AM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you, love it so far and can't wait to de-soccer-mom it a bit haha. so you're saying yours is the same as mine or yours doesn't have holes into the tailgate? Thanks!
Old 07-14-21, 10:32 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought one of these for ours, it's like a rubber sleeve that keeps the plate from scratching the paint. Its very low profile and the black looks good on our white GX, I usually don't like frames but this one is pretty nice since its so minimal but still functional.

Link:
License Plate Frame (rubber) License Plate Frame (rubber)

To directly answer your question, ours looked just like yours from the photo and its a 2019
The following 2 users liked this post by schwein:
Brugada (07-14-21), m5rahul (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 11:09 AM
Wizteq
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brugada
thank you, love it so far and can't wait to de-soccer-mom it a bit haha. so you're saying yours is the same as mine or yours doesn't have holes into the tailgate? Thanks!
Took my plates off this weekend and I have the same openings. No cover.

The following users liked this post:
Brugada (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 11:22 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats Brugada!! That's a fine looking GX!

Just checked and mine looks the same as yours.. ( still got the temp paper plates on.. )
Brugada (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 12:10 PM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the quick replies. Seems odd to have an opening there but I guess it doesn't present any issues otherwise I'm sure I would have read about it by now. Now, time to start looking at lifts, tires, wheels, and bumpers
m5rahul (07-14-21)
Old 07-14-21, 02:22 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Brugada
thanks for the quick replies. Seems odd to have an opening there but I guess it doesn't present any issues otherwise I'm sure I would have read about it by now. Now, time to start looking at lifts, tires, wheels, and bumpers
If you decide to sell those gunmetal wheels.. I may be interested
Old 07-15-21, 05:48 AM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

I can definitely let you know-the wheels I want are still a few months out for stock. They probably should be repainted though just FYI, either powder coat or with some decent wheel paint.
Old 07-15-21, 08:08 AM
blschaefer
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it possible that those openings are actually vents that allow cabin air to flow through the vehicle?
Old 07-15-21, 01:01 PM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by schwein
I bought one of these for ours, it's like a rubber sleeve that keeps the plate from scratching the paint. Its very low profile and the black looks good on our white GX, I usually don't like frames but this one is pretty nice since its so minimal but still functional.

Link:
License Plate Frame (rubber)

To directly answer your question, ours looked just like yours from the photo and its a 2019
I did the same exact thing as I can't stand driving around with a dealer frame advertising for them. However, when you remove it and the plate just rattles when shutting the rear door. This is the silicone plate holder I got which is essential the same as the one you linked above but a single unit:
Plate Holder Plate Holder
Old 07-15-21, 01:05 PM
Brugada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3xusGX
I did the same exact thing as I can't stand driving around with a dealer frame advertising for them. However, when you remove it and the plate just rattles when shutting the rear door. This is the silicone plate holder I got which is essential the same as the one you linked above but a single unit: Plate Holder
Prob a good idea. Ordered something similar.
Old 07-16-21, 05:50 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

I wouldn't cover up the holes behind the license plate... They are there, in combination with the drains at the bottom to ensure water doesn't persists inside the door panel, evaporation is your friend.... if you are super concerned about rotting from the inside out over a long period of time (plan to keep the vehicle for a while) you could squirt in some fluid film inside the door panels, like I've done...

This is also why I don't adhere sound deadening to the outside skin of the door panels in a manor that makes horizontal surfaces/ seams so water cannot pool on the seam, let gravity work, it's a beautiful thing.
Old 10-13-21, 07:25 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts
Lightbulb No need for front license plate?

I picked up my '22 GX 460 today and the salesman said that for these cars I wouldn't get a ticket for not having front plates on. I'm not sure if he's right on that, but he's lived here in north Texas (DFW) longer than I have. Is he right? Or was he just too lazy to have the front plate mounted? I've searched for Texas laws and everywhere I look, front plates are required or face a $200 ticket.
Old 10-13-21, 07:39 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzky
I picked up my '22 GX 460 today and the salesman said that for these cars I wouldn't get a ticket for not having front plates on. I'm not sure if he's right on that, but he's lived here in north Texas (DFW) longer than I have. Is he right? Or was he just too lazy to have the front plate mounted? I've searched for Texas laws and everywhere I look, front plates are required or face a $200 ticket.
I don't live in TX, but if local laws require front license plate, I would have it installed, would hate to pay $200 for something I can avoid.
Old 10-13-21, 07:48 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy
I don't live in TX, but if local laws require front license plate, I would have it installed, would hate to pay $200 for something I can avoid.
I agree. I don't know why he assured me I wouldn't get fined. He said, "Don't worry. Cops around here don't really pay attention to missing front plates especially on luxury imports." I've never heard of such a thing. I mean, I would love to not have to put one on (they included the mount, left it in the trunk) but I agree, I'd rather not pay $200 for nothing.
Old 10-13-21, 07:58 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 377 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tntcandy
Same here I don't live in TX but from what I understand as a visitor if your state requires front plates you have to have them installed in your state unless you are a visitor and the state or province your car is registered in only requires rear plates.

Quick Reply: License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns