GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 09:06 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

The loaners I got from Sewell ( Plano ) had no front plates. But, I do have it on my personal GX.
Old 10-13-21, 09:23 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Great if your states law does not require ... but just don't go driving out-of-state.
Old 10-13-21, 09:27 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Great if your states law does not require ... but just don't go driving out-of-state.
That's not true at all - states can't enforce rules that belong to other states. They can pull you over but they can't ticket you for having a vehicle that is in compliance from where it's from.

For California specifically - the rule is that you have to have two plates (front and rear) if you're issued two. If another state only issues one, then they can't fine you for not having the front one.
The following users liked this post:
GXLUX (10-14-21)
Old 10-13-21, 10:48 PM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Received 206 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by m5rahul
The loaners I got from Sewell ( Plano ) had no front plates. But, I do have it on my personal GX.
That's so strange. I wonder what other TX owners have to say. My gut tells me I should just put it on but there's this irrational voice in my head that's hoping I can keep the front bumper looking clean. Haha.
Old 10-14-21, 04:14 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Might want to get his statement in writing to defer legal expenses to the dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by M4rk:
mcomer (10-14-21), Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 06:45 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I will say that local and state laws obviously rule here, but when I was younger I never ran a front plate (thought it looked better without), and I never got pulled over or recieved a ticket for it. Here in Mass (specifically in the city) I also see plenty of cars without front plates (mostly Porsches and other performance cars) but I will say the vast majority of cars overwhelmly have the front plate installed (its the the law here in MA for front and rear plates). So I think if you like the look of it without a front plate I would just leave it off and keep it in your glove compartment, if you get pulled over just show the officer the plate in the glove box and explain you "just had a new grill installed due to a hit and run" but "have not had a chance to install the plate yet" ... 95% chance of getting off anyway with that...
The following 2 users liked this post by schwein:
ASE (10-14-21), Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 06:53 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schwein
I will say that local and state laws obviously rule here, but when I was younger I never ran a front plate (thought it looked better without), and I never got pulled over or recieved a ticket for it. Here in Mass (specifically in the city) I also see plenty of cars without front plates (mostly Porsches and other performance cars) but I will say the vast majority of cars overwhelmly have the front plate installed (its the the law here in MA for front and rear plates). So I think if you like the look of it without a front plate I would just leave it off and keep it in your glove compartment, if you get pulled over just show the officer the plate in the glove box and explain you "just had a new grill installed due to a hit and run" but "have not had a chance to install the plate yet" ... 95% chance of getting off anyway with that...
For now since I only have temporary plates, I don't have to run a front license plate. I'm going to enjoy the look of the front end while I can.
Old 10-14-21, 07:44 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanzky
For now since I only have temporary plates, I don't have to run a front license plate. I'm going to enjoy the look of the front end while I can.
When you plates do come in, take a look at the options available for mounting the front plate.
The days of self tapping screws through your front bumper are over.
Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 08:06 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Lived in TX for decades. The GX never had a front license plate, neither in TX nor here in the Pacific NW. I only heard of a single person in my life who got stopped and was issued a warning for not having a license plate on the front. State inspection was passed without it many times.
I even got pulled over on 290 for speeding once, got off with a warning. Cop didn't even mention the absence of the front plate.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 10-14-21 at 08:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
darkoozy (10-17-21), Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 09:23 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GXLUX
When you plates do come in, take a look at the options available for mounting the front plate.
The days of self tapping screws through your front bumper are over.
I've done relocation kits before, but I don't know of any for the GX 460. Is there one that's popular among members here?
Old 10-14-21, 09:52 AM
GXLUX
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

slybrackets.com makes a good product.
There are cheaper options, but this works well.
Seanzky (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 10:06 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GXLUX
slybrackets.com makes a good product.
There are cheaper options, but this works well.
Interesting. This is by far cheaper than the ones I've tried that goes into the front tow hook. I'll look into this. Thank you!
GXLUX (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 10:08 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Lived in TX for decades. The GX never had a front license plate, neither in TX nor here in the Pacific NW. I only heard of a single person in my life who got stopped and was issued a warning for not having a license plate on the front. State inspection was passed without it many times.
I even got pulled over on 290 for speeding once, got off with a warning. Cop didn't even mention the absence of the front plate.
See, I haven't lived here long enough to experience any of this. I do, however, see from time to time cars with no front plates. I always thought it was just people moving here from other states like me --states where front plates weren't required.
Old 10-14-21, 11:08 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Grew up and lived in DFW almost all my life and 100% legally you have to have a front license plate, it’s state law. You can get stopped and you can get a ticket. Usually it’s a “fix-it” ticket, where you fix it and only pay the dismissal fee. Now that’s not to say you can roll without one and never get stopped because that happens to most of the Texas population including myself. Just know it also can be used as PC or probable cause for them to stop you so don’t have anything illegal on you in the truck or active warrants. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
darkoozy (10-17-21), NiteDipper (10-20-21)
Old 10-14-21, 11:33 AM
Seanzky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
Grew up and lived in DFW almost all my life and 100% legally you have to have a front license plate, it’s state law. You can get stopped and you can get a ticket. Usually it’s a “fix-it” ticket, where you fix it and only pay the dismissal fee. Now that’s not to say you can roll without one and never get stopped because that happens to most of the Texas population including myself. Just know it also can be used as PC or probable cause for them to stop you so don’t have anything illegal on you in the truck or active warrants. LOL
Haha. Good tips! I've only been here for 3 years and I don't intend on ever being on the wrong side of the law. Never have, never will. My truck guns are all legal and with me is my CHL/LTC. Haha. I'm just going back and forth on this because I couldn't get a straight answer wherever I looked. To err on the side of caution, I will get it mounted one of these days. For now, until I get my plates, and then my vanity plates, I'll milk the no front plates mostly because I like the look and I'm too lazy.
MrTorgue (10-14-21)

Quick Reply: License plate/bracket questions, comments, concerns